• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots game notes

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They were just as quick on the two drives I mentioned, but the DBs stopped playing passively and got in the receivers faces and the 49ers put in fresh pass rushers and a new scheme to sack Brady twice and hurry him on every other throw. Bottom line is that you cannot play passive coverage on Brady. In press coverage, Brady cannot get rid of the ball quickly. It seemed that the 49ers understood this in the first half but got away from it in the second. Do you agree?

trust me, i'm all for pressure if and when you can actually do it. as mentioned above, Fangio WAS sending pressure, WAS mixing it up. but calling it and executing it are two different matters. so it goes back to easier said than done. he was not being passive and i'm not advocating it either.

believe you're thinking of the 4th quarter when Brady had to look further downfield? not the 3rd quarter where he was throwimg mostly short?

for most of the game, Brady throws it short - say 5 yards and a little more? it doesn't take him long so you can't sack him or even pressure him in 1.5 secs. Fangio would be foolish to keep sending pressure every play, pressing every play. for sure they'd adjust to it and for sure your D tires out.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if it was mentioned here on the boards or somewhere else, but someone mentioned how Aldon looked disinterested on some plays where he didn't even try to pass rush. Two things here, I think fatigue might have played a role and also, with Brady relasing the ball so quickly, it made more sense to not rush so hard and try to get in the passing lanes for those quick passes over the middle.

I think Fangio deliberately had Aldon not rush the passer on these plays. One, to conserve energy, and two, to play the passing lanes on short dropbacks.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure if it was mentioned here on the boards or somewhere else, but someone mentioned how Aldon looked disinterested on some plays where he didn't even try to pass rush. Two things here, I think fatigue might have played a role and also, with Brady relasing the ball so quickly, it made more sense to not rush so hard and try to get in the passing lanes for those quick passes over the middle.

I think Fangio deliberately had Aldon not rush the passer on these plays. One, to conserve energy, and two, to play the passing lanes on short dropbacks.

makes sense to me, Fangio can't keep banging his head against the wall with Aldon. can't keep playing press coverage especially against Brady who is accurate. isn't that why Lloyd go so much yards, because he ran past our CB's?

but in the 4th after the Crabtree TD, it is another game situation. so Fangio changes it up and able to get more pressure. at this point Brady isn't only throwing short.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've seen Aldon making some half-hearted efforts on pass rushes in almost every game this year. Have never understood if its some kind of designed contain role, conserving energy, taking a play off, or what. I usually don't watch pass rushers as closely, so I don't know if its a normal thing to not go full speed every play, maybe they all give up plays here or there to keep the energy going.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Without viewing the plays it is hard to say what was observed but the OLB has four primary roles: Rush, Contain, Cover & Seal. The defensive play call and the offensive alignment will determine which of those roles he executes.

For example, the play in question may have had Aldon lined-up in a passing one-on-one cover role on the TE but the TE may have remained in to protect. In that case it is Aldons job to just occupy the TE or he may have been using a technique called "rush to cover" at the LOS, which would have looked like he wasn't doing anything.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers.com | Week 15 Game Notes

Couple highlights:

Harbaugh joins Pittsburgh’s Mike Tomlin as the only active head coach to win at least 10 games in each of his first two seasons.

» With 23 wins in his career, Harbaugh now ranks 7th in NFL history for the most wins by a head coach in their first two seasons.

» Harbaugh’s 23 wins in his first two years as an NFL head coach are the 2nd most in NFL history by a coach inheriting a team with a losing record, 2nd only to NYG head coach Roy Andrews, who won 24 games from 1929-30 after joining a team that went 4-7-2 the previous season.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trust me, i'm all for pressure if and when you can actually do it. as mentioned above, Fangio WAS sending pressure, WAS mixing it up. but calling it and executing it are two different matters. so it goes back to easier said than done. he was not being passive and i'm not advocating it either.

believe you're thinking of the 4th quarter when Brady had to look further downfield? not the 3rd quarter where he was throwimg mostly short?

for most of the game, Brady throws it short - say 5 yards and a little more? it doesn't take him long so you can't sack him or even pressure him in 1.5 secs. Fangio would be foolish to keep sending pressure every play, pressing every play. for sure they'd adjust to it and for sure your D tires out.

What? Why on earth would you not want to pressure the quarterback? Every pass play you should be pressuring the quarterback. Might you be confusing "pressuring" with "blitzing"?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen Aldon making some half-hearted efforts on pass rushes in almost every game this year. Have never understood if its some kind of designed contain role, conserving energy, taking a play off, or what. I usually don't watch pass rushers as closely, so I don't know if its a normal thing to not go full speed every play, maybe they all give up plays here or there to keep the energy going.

I see it too. He seems to get discouraged easily if things aren't going well for him. That is the main reason I can't see him as defensive MVP.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What? Why on earth would you not want to pressure the quarterback? Every pass play you should be pressuring the quarterback. Might you be confusing "pressuring" with "blitzing"?

yeah ok, maybe we aren't on the same page? if they're ALREADY blitzing (LB's and at least one CB) and not getting there, then what ARE you asking them to do?

what exactly should they do to get even more pressure?

if Brady takes three steps and immediately fires 5 yards, how do you get someone in his face EVERY single time he does that? cause he throws more quick 3 steps than the downfield passes you keep thinking of.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

disagree, it is similar to most defensive linemen once they see the ball is thrown downfield. they turn around and see the result.

i'm sure Aldon isn't asked to go hard on EVERY down, i'd think they sometimes change up and ask him to cover to 'spy'? cause if did rush hard every single pass play, Belichick could adjust to it.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah ok, maybe we aren't on the same page? if they're ALREADY blitzing (LB's and at least one CB) and not getting there, then what ARE you asking them to do?
what exactly should they do to get even more pressure?

if Brady takes three steps and immediately fires 5 yards, how do you get someone in his face EVERY single time he does that? cause he throws more quick 3 steps than the downfield passes you keep thinking of.

The 49ers were getting great pressure in the first half with just 4. They hardly blitzed at all. But the reason, IMO, that they were getting pressure was because the DBs were pressing up and taking away the quick routes making Brady look elsewhere. Welker didn't even have a catch until mid 3rd quarter. Once the DBs were instructed to back off to prevent long gains; that is when Brady was able to go to work underneath which in turn opened up some longer stuff. At least that's how I saw it.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
disagree, it is similar to most defensive linemen once they see the ball is thrown downfield. they turn around and see the result.

i'm sure Aldon isn't asked to go hard on EVERY down, i'd think they sometimes change up and ask him to cover to 'spy'? cause if did rush hard every single pass play, Belichick could adjust to it.

I think thats got to be the case. I don't think Harbaugh would tolerate any loafing or taking plays off.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was what I was implying. I think we are saying the same thing. With Brady using some quick 3 step drops combined with a no huddle offense, continuously pass rushing will tire a defender out within 5-6 plays. During the 4 unanswered TD streak, the 49ers defense was on the field a lot with the 49er offense not sustaining any drives to give the defense a rest.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Press Pass: Jim Harbaugh

Coach's Notebook: Dec. 17

What changed during that time when New England was scoring? What did your defense stop doing that it had done so well?

“I think everybody’s first thing is that somehow if the other team moves the ball when they hadn’t been moving the ball, that you were in some kind of prevent mode. Seems to be what you hear from the subject matter experts. That wasn’t the case. We were playing football and they were and they were making plays and we had our chances. Like I said, like I described it.”

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

What changed during that time when New England was scoring? What did your defense stop doing that it had done so well?

“I think everybody’s first thing is that somehow if the other team moves the ball when they hadn’t been moving the ball, that you were in some kind of prevent mode. Seems to be what you hear from the subject matter experts. That wasn’t the case. We were playing football and they were and they were making plays and we had our chances. Like I said, like I described it.”

How much do you talk to your quarterback during the game and did you talk to QB Colin Kaepernick at all after the game was tied up? Did you go to him then?

“For any wise, inspirational words?”

Yeah, something coachable, coach speak.

“There’s some talk but not much from me personally. I’ve always just let quarterbacks play their game and do less talking to them during the game unless there is something to say to him.”

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know of a site to go and watch a repaly of this game? Christmas dinner with the GF's family and I missed most of it..

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

How much do you talk to your quarterback during the game and did you talk to QB Colin Kaepernick at all after the game was tied up? Did you go to him then?

“For any wise, inspirational words?”

Yeah, something coachable, coach speak.

“There’s some talk but not much from me personally. I’ve always just let quarterbacks play their game and do less talking to them during the game unless there is something to say to him.”

The fact that Seattle has QB Russell Wilson, you could argue a dual-threat type of guy, much the way Colin is, are they mirror images of each other? And how does that affect preparation for this week?

“I think they’re two very good quarterbacks, they’re different quarterbacks. They’re not mirror images. Not too many quarterbacks I think that I could say are mirror images, even in the entire league. So anyway, the preparation for Seattle and their offense is a separate thing from our offense."

Thank you, Harbaugh! Great, great answer. I'm so tired of these NFL comparisons people try to make these days.