• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Over/Under Rated 49ers

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with most players on this list except for RW Mcquarters & Joe Montana being overrated. Joe is easy the dude lead the team to 4 SBs how can he be overrated? Also RW Mcquaters shouldn't be rated at all he didn't play very long for us and I don't remember him being a high 1st round pick so how was he rated at all?

San Francisco 49ers: All-time underrated, overrated players - NFL.com

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The only guy that makes even a little bit of sense on the overrated list is William Floyd. And even that is a stretch given that he is a FB that they are comparing to Alstott based exclusively on his nickname.

I get McQuarters and Carter if it's based on where they were drafted, but argue Montana is overrated as a 3rd round pick.

I don't really see people arguing that Carter, McQuarters or Barlow were even mediocre players. Exactly how bad does the guy that wrote this up think those 3 were? Does he consider them the worst Niners ever?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I didn't like most of the underrated list. I'm semi-ok with Joe, as it's coming from the discussion of him as arguably the best QB to ever play the game, so he could be overrated and still be a tremendous player. I disagree with it, and the reasoning, of course. By the reasoning here, Brady isn't close to being the greatest QB in the game, after all, he repeatedly needed Vinatieri and the D to seal a win for him. However, there's at least an argument for it.

They also use a lot of guys who were basically draft busts. I don't view that as overrated. Yes, as college prospects they were overrated. But not in the NFL. No one today thinks of RW McQuarters, Dexter Carter, or Kevan Barlow as having been good NFL players. On the contrary, most people think those guys were awful. There's some argument for William Floyd, but Alstott wasn't near the blocker that Floyd and most other traditional FBs of the era were. And the "Bar None" nickname was about his status in college, not the pros.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was wrong on Montana and William Floyd if you ask me. Though I don't know how he has Kevin Barlow overrated. Who the hell even has him rated?

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only guy that makes even a little bit of sense on the overrated list is William Floyd. And even that is a stretch given that he is a FB that they are comparing to Alstott based exclusively on his nickname.

I get McQuarters and Carter if it's based on where they were drafted, but argue Montana is overrated as a 3rd round pick.

I don't really see people arguing that Carter, McQuarters or Barlow were even mediocre players. Exactly how bad does the guy that wrote this up think those 3 were? Does he consider them the worst Niners ever?

I forgot about Floyd I thought he was a good FB for us and Alstott was a FB in name only he was a big RB that is not how we used Floyd. Floyd was a lead blocker who caught balls out of the backfield.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He needs to go after players who fans arbitrarily lump in as being great. Maybe like a Roger Craig or Brent Jones etc. - you know guys that have an actual name. And then build a case by pointing to the superior supporting cast for why they artificially got pumped up stats. On the defensive side maybe go after Romanowski because people actually know him, or try and build a case with someone like Michael Carter with a premise his supporting cast did all the dirty work and made him appear better than he actually was.

Wish he went ahead and put Rice on that same list at the end. Montana was only great because of Rice. Rice was only great because of Montana.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He's right about Floyd being named - he should be on the underrated list.

Why isn't Drunkenmiller and Rumph on this confused list? Balmer? Woods? This guy needs to go back to the drawing board.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the players on that list were pretty much what most fans and coaches thought they would be.I can't rate someone like Dexter Carter ,for instance ,as overrated......I knew he wasn't that good. No Dana Stubblefield on this list? Ricky Watters maybe?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By Dylan Milner is officially the worst writer at NFL.com. This is just another example of how terribly that site is ran! Look at this stupidity:

"...Montana was a very good quarterback. I'll even allow him as a GREAT quarterback. But he is NOT the best quarterback of all time. You could argue he's not even the best quarterback in 49ers history. He had a supporting cast that included Jerry Rice, Brent Jones, Roger Craig and coach Bill Walsh. Think Dan Marino, Warren Moon or Jim Kelly couldn't have won a couple of titles with that group? ."

This guy must be in his early 20's because he fails to realize that Joe Montana had a SB ring before any of those players were even in the NFL. That's 1 more ring than those other QBs listed had combined. He had 2 rings before Rice or Brent Jones were drafted. But I'm sure Montana was overrated because of the gluttony of talent he had like Bill Ring, Dwight Clark, Freddie Solomon & Ricky Patton. Those were the true greats.

I could honestly do a better job writing for that stupid website. NFL.com needs a Jack In The Box in the 90's - like overhaul.

Oh, and how is RW McQuarters overrated? Who besides RW McQuarters' parents think he was any good?

If he wanted an overrated 49er, he should've listed George Siefert.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it funny how he talks about the supporting cast, when calling Montana overrated, when talking about guys like Jim Kelly or Marino. Kelly had just as good a supporting cast for the most part and couldn't get it done in 4 tries. Marino didn't have the team, but he also had a very pass happy offense and later on some decent defenses.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's right about Floyd being named - he should be on the underrated list.

Why isn't Drunkenmiller and Rumph on this confused list? Balmer? Woods? This guy needs to go back to the drawing board.

I think because those other guys never amounted to anything. Over valued in the draft maybe, but they never were regarded as anything special to Niner fans.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think because those other guys never amounted to anything. Over valued in the draft maybe, but they never were regarded as anything special to Niner fans.

That's what I was driving at. That list was full of draft flops who on the most part didn't live up to expectations just like everyone else pointed out. To go to the extreme - would anyone ever call Crying Leaf overrated? No way. What about if he stuck around and sucked less for longer - now that makes him overrated? No. Would you call that article overrated? No! It just sucked.

It's almost like he was scarred the real players he called out would come back and attack him. So he put up some safe names and then copped out with Montana to stir up conversation. Then within the list he coughed up some stats on Floyd that don't tell the story. Could have been a good article if actual thought went into it.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Montana isn't GOAT he's pretty damn close.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Montana isn't GOAT he's pretty damn close.

That guy needs to really go back and actually watch the games to understand how great Montana really was. I would come to the GOAT conclusion even if he didn't happen to be a 49er. Something that just popped into my mind is when Steve Young last year said how Joe would absolutely blow him away when they'd go through pre-game preparations. Steve Young was so driven in that competition, but said Joe was on a completely different level and would go through a test with the offensive coordinator and instantly reel off the answers to every play, one after another, play after play. The bar was set so high in every aspect, and I think that day to day competition is what really turned Young into a great QB.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can only hope Brady rubs off on someone the same way.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That guy needs to really go back and actually watch the games to understand how great Montana really was. I would come to the GOAT conclusion even if he didn't happen to be a 49er. Something that just popped into my mind is when Steve Young last year said how Joe would absolutely blow him away when they'd go through pre-game preparations. Steve Young was so driven in that competition, but said Joe was on a completely different level and would go through a test with the offensive coordinator and instantly reel off the answers to every play, one after another, play after play. The bar was set so high in every aspect, and I think that day to day competition is what really turned Young into a great QB.

guess one major factor he was "Joe Cool", he knew his stuff inside out.

agree Montana is the GOAT, and also agree you can't explain it with just "stats". granted some of this opinion is he leading the franchise back to glory, ie him being the 'face of the franchise'.

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with most players on this list except for RW Mcquarters & Joe Montana being overrated. Joe is easy the dude lead the team to 4 SBs how can he be overrated? Also RW Mcquaters shouldn't be rated at all he didn't play very long for us and I don't remember him being a high 1st round pick so how was he rated at all?

San Francisco 49ers: All-time underrated, overrated players - NFL.com
McQuarters was a first rounder, if I recall. He didn't make much impact with the 49ers. I think he was a decent player though, he went elsewhere and did well. He came to us in our medieval, Smith-Erickson-Nolan-Smith-Dingleberry-Smith era.

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't like most of the underrated list. I'm semi-ok with Joe, as it's coming from the discussion of him as arguably the best QB to ever play the game, so he could be overrated and still be a tremendous player. I disagree with it, and the reasoning, of course. By the reasoning here, Brady isn't close to being the greatest QB in the game, after all, he repeatedly needed Vinatieri and the D to seal a win for him. However, there's at least an argument for it.

They also use a lot of guys who were basically draft busts. I don't view that as overrated. Yes, as college prospects they were overrated. But not in the NFL. No one today thinks of RW McQuarters, Dexter Carter, or Kevan Barlow as having been good NFL players. On the contrary, most people think those guys were awful. There's some argument for William Floyd, but Alstott wasn't near the blocker that Floyd and most other traditional FBs of the era were. And the "Bar None" nickname was about his status in college, not the pros.
You really think the 4 guys you mention were awful? They could all play, IMO. All of them. None of them struck me as awful. Here's one for you (if you don't mind). Alex Smith: How do you rate him?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You really think the 4 guys you mention were awful? They could all play, IMO. All of them. None of them struck me as awful. Here's one for you (if you don't mind). Alex Smith: How do you rate him?

Awful relative to where they were taken or the contracts they got.

RW McQuarters, for the Niners at least, was not good. 11 starts in two years before we got rid of him.

Dexter Carter was a first round pick whose biggest contribution - by far - came as a return man. He had 1700 combined rushing and receiving yards and seven TDs over a seven-year career.

Barlow is the best of the bunch, and he was never more than a complementary back. He was a tolerable player, but only that.

I think Floyd was pretty good, I just think he's often regarded as being better than he actually was. He wasn't a true blocking FB, and wasn't great with the ball in his hands.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Garcia should be on the underrated list. He never had a very good D to compliment him and he was solid. Especially after filling the shoes of not 1 but 2 HOF QB's. You knew they were never going to win the big one, but at least they won games and were entertaining... on offense at least.