• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Winter Is Coming | Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree it was a meh episode. Mostly just a set-up episode Even the Tower of Joy flashback was cool but was "To be continued..."

Dany's storyline has bored me for what seems like forever with the occasional cool part. Thought Tyrion arriving there and some dragon action would make it interesting but now she's back with the boring Drogo-less Dothraki. The best part of her first stint with the Dothraki in the first season was her brother mocking them the whole time but he's not even around anymore.

Jacquen H'Gar was so much cooler at Harrenhall in Season 2. This storyline is pretty boring too but hopefully has a cool payoff and it seems to be moving forward now.

Definitely some foreshadowing for what will hopefully be another cool trial by combat. Hopefully the opponent is who many fans have been speculating it could be for some time now.

Thorne might be a dick but he backed it up at the battle of the wall and his final words let him be executed with some dignity.

Last edited:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thorne might be a dick but he backed it up at the battle of the wall and his final words let him be executed with some dignity.

Definitely agree. Rather than the standard caricature of a "good" person or a "bad" person, they chose to go with something more realistic. In truth, all of us have good sides and bad, make strong decisions and make some poor ones. He proved to his last breath that he was a man of conviction, whether you agreed with his views or not. He died well, always holding true to his beliefs.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really avg episode. End was good but everything leading up ... Blah
Though I did like the council interruption. Lannisters are going to bring some wrath

Pretty much agree with this. I agree with the council meeting, the Lannisters are finally getting their mojo back.

I think part of the problem with this season is that all of the characters are isolated which makes it much tougher to be interesting. Kings Landing used to have Tywin, Tyrion, Cersei throwing heat, Littlefinger, Varys, Bronn etc. With the exception of Cersei all of those people are either dead or gone. Soft Jaime is not nearly as interesting a character as douchebag Jaime.

We need more scenes with characters bouncing dialogue off one another. Dany has no counterpart, Arya has no counterpart, for awhile there Cersei had no counterpart etc. Littlefinger was in the previews for next week so hopefully he brings it.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much agree with this. I agree with the council meeting, the Lannisters are finally getting their mojo back.

I think part of the problem with this season is that all of the characters are isolated which makes it much tougher to be interesting. Kings Landing used to have Tywin, Tyrion, Cersei throwing heat, Littlefinger, Varys, Bronn etc. With the exception of Cersei all of those people are either dead or gone. Soft Jaime is not nearly as interesting a character as douchebag Jaime.

We need more scenes with characters bouncing dialogue off one another. Dany has no counterpart, Arya has no counterpart, for awhile there Cersei had no counterpart etc. Littlefinger was in the previews for next week so hopefully he brings it.

Funny you mention Bronn. I've been wondering for a while why we haven't seen him yet since he would have returned to King's Landing with Jamie. I wonder if the Sand Snakes might have captured him when they killed Trystane, or maybe they bribed him with some "bad pussy" into helping them even though the one he liked the most was still in Dorne? Or perhaps he got dropped off with his rich wife, Lollys Stokeworth, and Jamie will call upon him later?

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some very interesting dynamics at The Wall with a lot of characters that had never met 2 seasons ago all having their storylines converge up there. Looks like Littlefinger and Robin Arryn will soon be joining them. I actually think Davos and Brienne will make pretty good allies with Jon and Sansa once they get over the part that they picked different Baratheons. Clearly Brienne won't want to align herself with Melssandre though. Davos seems to finally be warming upto her but that won't last once he finds out about Shireen which seems inevitable.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some very interesting dynamics at The Wall with a lot of characters that had never met 2 seasons ago all having their storylines converge up there. Looks like Littlefinger and Robin Arryn will soon be joining them. I actually think Davos and Brienne will make pretty good allies with Jon and Sansa once they get over the part that they picked different Baratheons. Clearly Brienne won't want to align herself with Melssandre though. Davos seems to finally be warming upto her but that won't last once he finds out about Shireen which seems inevitable.
Littlefinger told Robin to "join the Frey."

Was he saying to get into the fight, or literally join the Freys?

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, excellent episode. Even the "move the plot lines along without much action" stuff was interesting.

I guess Danerys' plotline for the rest of the season will be cleaning up Slavers Bay. I am expecting her to get on the boats for Westeros at the end of this season.

When we say Sansa arrive at Castle Black, my wife said to me "this will be interesting, Sansa was a real bee-witch to Jon when they were kids". Sure enough, that is the first point addressed when S+J speak, Kudos to the writers for knowing that a large chunk of the audience spends WAY too much time poring over the show, the books, etc, They would have been roasted online if they had not addressed the dynamic there.

Anyone have any perspective on the High Sparrow? This is the second week in a row we have been treated to a sermon from him. :noidea: Not understanding why the directors burn 5 minutes of airtime on the HS perspective on life. I thought he was a minor character, but maybe not.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
" how would you like to get a room at the Westeros Knights Inn (A Whyndam property) ? "

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping Brienne would hook up with the Wildling Giant

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The High Sparrow storyline still does nothing for me. Maybe the show just didn't do a good enough job of emphasizing the importance of religion in Kings Landing but I cannot for the life of me figure out why they don't just send a dozen soldiers in there and rescue the prisoners?

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The High Sparrow storyline still does nothing for me. Maybe the show just didn't do a good enough job of emphasizing the importance of religion in Kings Landing but I cannot for the life of me figure out why they don't just send a dozen soldiers in there and rescue the prisoners?

I think that is exactly right. You get a better feel of the importance of religion from the book version.

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The message of Sundays episode. Don't piss off the women.

You go girls!!! Keep fucking with us and we WILL not take mercy on you. (Remember that dash).

When it finally happens, may Ramsay Bolton's death be long, slow and extremely painful...

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You go girls!!! Keep fucking with us and we WILL not take mercy on you. (Remember that dash).

When it finally happens, may Ramsay Bolton's death be long, slow and extremely painful...

Umm, somehow I doubt that they will kill the hero of the show.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do believe Ramsay will be captured, and the honors of cutting off his head will be given to Sansa.

Unfortunately for the soon-to-be-former-Lord-of-Winterfell-and-Warden-of-the-North, Sansa has not exactly been pumping iron, so it will take several fairly weak blows before he exsanguinates.

/edit oh, and the dogs eat well that night.