• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Winter Is Coming | Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last 3 have been kind of meh. They are dragging stuff out and making stuff up. They have left out big characters. This one was better than the last 2 though. The littlefinger scene and the Tywin/Cersei scene were the only ones of actual importance. The Arya and hound stuff has been entertaining but is just filler. The nights watch stuff is just made up right now. They are trying to make more out of less so they don't catch the books too soon but why leave out characters in that case?

I don't mind them "making stuff up". The fact that they are deviating from the books is part of what keeps it interesting. I assume you are talking about Coldhands when referring to characters being left out. Although there are a few others to pick from. He might appear later but might not. In the books the Reeds had been with Bran since Book 1 in Winterfell but on the show they didn't meet up until season 3 after leaving Winterfell. I just watch each show from week to week without expectations of it matching the books. I watch to be entertained so if something is entertaining then I don't consider it filler whether it was in the books or not. Without saying too much, I'm hoping Marillion appears soon to fill the role he had in book but if not I'll be interested to see how they work that angle without him.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does Arya want to kill the mountain? she has not met him yet? what has he done to her?

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She adds him to her list because of her time at Harrenhal. He'd pick a prisoner to be tortured by the Tickler. He has been recast for this season, you probably forgot he was already in the show.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She adds him to her list because of her time at Harrenhal. He'd pick a prisoner to be tortured by the Tickler. He has been recast for this season, you probably forgot he was already in the show.

yeah I did, I remember now thanks

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't even watched the latest episode yet. Watching it tonight though.

There needs to be another show similar to this when this one isn't airing. It really blows that Vikings is already over and that it runs while GoT does for the most part.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't even watched the latest episode yet. Watching it tonight though.

There needs to be another show similar to this when this one isn't airing. It really blows that Vikings is already over and that it runs while GoT does for the most part.

im going to have to watch this series from teh start after this season is over

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im going to have to watch this series from teh start after this season is over

That works too. I could go for a GoT marathon.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched Blackwater (again) last night ... amazing

came across this:

■Actually, Martin specifies in the Blu-ray commentary for this episode that the chain was never included even in the earliest drafts he wrote of this episode. Producers Benioff & Weiss told him right from the start that given all of the other expenses of the Battle of the Blackwater scenes (which had already broken their budget), they knew going in that the chain sequence was simply beyond their available price limit. Martin did include in the earliest draft a sequence from the books featuring three great trebuchets in the city known as the Three Whores, which Joffrey uses to launch Stannis-loyalists known as the Antler Men over the walls at the approaching army (they're called the "Antler Men" because in mockery Joffrey ordered his soldiers to physically nail deer antlers onto the men's heads, then shoot them over the walls as they're bleeding but still alive). Ultimately, the Three Whores and the Antler Men also had to be cut for budgetary reasons

DAMN YOU BUDGETARY REASONS !

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched Blackwater (again) last night ... amazing

came across this:

■Actually, Martin specifies in the Blu-ray commentary for this episode that the chain was never included even in the earliest drafts he wrote of this episode. Producers Benioff & Weiss told him right from the start that given all of the other expenses of the Battle of the Blackwater scenes (which had already broken their budget), they knew going in that the chain sequence was simply beyond their available price limit. Martin did include in the earliest draft a sequence from the books featuring three great trebuchets in the city known as the Three Whores, which Joffrey uses to launch Stannis-loyalists known as the Antler Men over the walls at the approaching army (they're called the "Antler Men" because in mockery Joffrey ordered his soldiers to physically nail deer antlers onto the men's heads, then shoot them over the walls as they're bleeding but still alive). Ultimately, the Three Whores and the Antler Men also had to be cut for budgetary reasons

DAMN YOU BUDGETARY REASONS !

I only started reading the books after Season 3. I enjoyed the 1st book but after reading it, I wasn't sold that it was way better than the show. I thought both were great. The story was similar for the most part with some subtle differences. Some things work better on TV and some thing better with the book.

About half way through the 2nd book, I really started to have to give the edge to the book. Again, I thought the show was great but there was potential for it to be even better! The House of the Undying was way better in the books but would have been tough to pull off on TV even without budget constraints. That being said, the whole reason Dany went to the House of the Undying was better on the show. In the book she decided to go to ask the warlocks for ships.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So my mind was completely blown the other day. I'm sure some of you already knew this, some didn't, and some wouldn't care. But I just found out that Grand Maester Pycell is played by the same actor as Walter Donovan from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (the main villain who "chose poorly"). I've seen both that movie and this show countless times yet had no idea until I stumbled on that fact randomly the other day. Julian Glover is never mentioned in the opening credits so I guess that would be the main reason why I never knew. Now that I know, it is impossible not to notice it in the face even after all these years and with the beard. The voice is completely different though which is probably another reason why it was hard to notice.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most hilarious line of the week:
"(poison) was used to strike down the most noble child the gods ever put on this good earth." - Master Pycelle

Pffffffft... hahahaha.

Wow, what an episode. Tyrion's speech in the last 5 minutes alone was worth the price of admission. It was a great middle finger to his father.

So if Tyrion wants trial by combat - could he potentially fight his brother Jaime? It certainly presents an interesting scenario. Or would he appoint Braun as his champion and then we see either his brother or good friend killed?

It was definitely gut-wrenching to hear Shae testify against Tyrion. And this show constantly puts us to the test by always killing, torturing, and hurting the characters we want to like the most.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"(poison) was used to strike down the most noble child the gods ever put on this good earth." - Master Pycelle

Pffffffft... hahahaha.

Wow, what an episode. Tyrion's speech in the last 5 minutes alone was worth the price of admission. It was a great middle finger to his father.

So if Tyrion wants trial by combat - could he potentially fight his brother Jaime? It certainly presents an interesting scenario. Or would he appoint Braun as his champion and then we see either his brother or good friend killed?

It was definitely gut-wrenching to hear Shae testify against Tyrion. And this show constantly puts us to the test by always killing, torturing, and hurting the characters we want to like the most.

Agreed about Tyrion's speech. Dinklage absolutely nailed it! Showing the faces of a hand full of characters for their reactions while playing the Lannister music was great! Can't comment on who is involved in the trial by combat since I know. I'm just gonna say that I expect it to be epic (both the selection and the "trial" itself) . Can't wait!

I can't get enough of Oberyn Martell and Ramsay Snow this season. Oberyn seemed like the only judge of the 3 that was both competent and fair. But he still can't help but be a massive pervert. I loved his questions for Shae after her testimony.

The overheard shot of Braavos with "The Titan" was pretty cool, not to mention how it was shown during the intro. Welcome back Salladhor Saan!

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyrion...

that moment is the best Ive seen in TV/Film from one character I truly love.

so incredible.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't get enough of Oberyn Martell and Ramsay Snow this season. Oberyn seemed like the only judge of the 3 that was both competent and fair. But he still can't help but be a massive pervert. I loved his questions for Shae after her testimony.

I really like him, too. He also had maybe the best line of the show this week. I can't remember it verbatim but something about how the Unsullied are great at war, but terrible at sex. Lol - the guy is pretty pervy, but hilarious. And he has this weird dichotomy where he lives in brothels and is very violent, and yet, much more down-to-earth than say, the Lannisters. He's certainly never boring. Haha.

Tyrion...

that moment is the best Ive seen in TV/Film from one character I truly love.

so incredible.

Yeah, you could feel the anger. I see another Emmy going his way.

Relatedly, I really enjoy this song, especially the instrumental studio version:

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tyrion is such an awesome character. props to dinklage. just fantastic.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pffffffft... hahahaha.

Don't you get it? Jaime will be his champion!

Tywin knows Tyrion is innocent. But he allowed this trial to go on because it accomplishes two things:

1) He disowns Tyrion and sends him away forever. He hates Tyrion but can't bring himself it kill him, this is the best option.
2) He regains Jaime as the Lannister heir.

But he underestimated Tyrion - he thought Tyrion would place his life before his pride. Now it will backfire because Tyrion will put both his life and his brother's in jeopardy to spite his father and sister. We know Jamie will be his champion - Tryion said as much in an earlier episode (when referencing his previous trial by combat) and it has been heavily implied in the scenes between the two.

This puts Tywin and Cersei in a pickle. Either they drop the case - a humiliating loss for both if them - or they risk losing their son / brother-lover. Unless the queen chooses a shitty champion (which would look suspicious) Jamie will almost assuredly lose, using his left hand.

Anyway, those are the implications I read in that episode, although I'm sure Tywin could find a way out. Alternatively, they could go with Jaime championing the queen and Braun for Tyrion - that has also been set up but doesn't feel as dramatic IMO. We already know that Jaime is in Tyrions corner, can't see him switching now.

Fantastic episode.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It must have been a good episode, even I liked it. Usually they are just eh to me.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you get it? Jaime will be his champion!

I just assumed since Jaime is head of the King's Guard that he would serve as champion for the city/court. Forgive me - I'm not yet licensed in Westeros.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Muahahahahaha.

Great episode. I love watching you guys guess what's to come.