• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Winter Is Coming | Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay episode after a couple of awesome ones.. Looking forward to the last part of the season.

900!

I'm in the minority- I thought it was visually as close to an epic movie- production wise.

I actually like the dialogue heavy episodes..when taking the series as a whole, it makes the more action packed episodes make sense.

The show is going relatively according to the books chronologically.
1 episode = approx 7 chapters

Not every group of 7 chapters will be action packed but the storylines do pay off later

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in the minority- I thought it was visually as close to an epic movie- production wise.

I actually like the dialogue heavy episodes..when taking the series as a whole, it makes the more action packed episodes make sense.

The show is going relatively according to the books chronologically.
1 episode = approx 7 chapters

Not every group of 7 chapters will be action packed but the storylines do pay off later

I enjoy the mix as well. The two prior episodes were crazy so it was nice to regroup and have a breather, set the pieces for the remainder of the season.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe its because I havent read the books, but as often as I think the show is really good I think its slow as molasses. Overall I do like it but thats it.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with slow shows. Mad Men, literally nothing ever happens, The Sopranos could go 3 or 4 episodes where nothing happened, Boardwalk Empire same thing. As long as it's slow for a reason and building up to something and not just a filler episode.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with slow shows. Mad Men, literally nothing ever happens, The Sopranos could go 3 or 4 episodes where nothing happened, Boardwalk Empire same thing. As long as it's slow for a reason and building up to something and not just a filler episode.

I like all those, well The Sopranos first few seasons, but I think this is slower. I think they touch on too many things per episode.

My wife loves it but has read the books.....

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe its because I havent read the books, but as often as I think the show is really good I think its slow as molasses. Overall I do like it but thats it.

That's fair. Even the books have a lot of information packed into it and I got bored during parts of the books, too. The author sometimes devotes serveral pages just to describe the food at banquets, for example, like wtf? lol

I think the show is doing the best it can, given the limited amount of time (only 10 episodes??) to explain everything. Trying develop characters and maintain a balance of action packed scenes is tough formula to balance.

Like the books, the show also drops a lot of foreshadowing hints that are meaningless now but may pay off later.

fwiw, I think a percentage of the book readers are equally pissed off by the amount of info/characters left out of the show.

Like I noticed before, the books don't have the action equally spaced every 7 chapters or so and the show is trying to follow the path of the books..so we'll get episodes like this once in awhile. Each chapter is also from a different character's point of view, which causes some disjointedness (like one chapter will be Bran, then next Brienne, the next Tyrion, etc etc)

Now, give me more dragons and the dragon queen please

Last edited by a moderator:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9853e89986dcdd5e052528fd3c140c42.jpg

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-I knew that was exactly where the scene with Theon was heading.

-I don't really care for the Bran storyline.

-Khaleesi's storyline just jumped up a couple notches.

-Anything Lannister related is amazing.

-Glad to see the Hound back in play

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm loving it. Just every moment. After two seasons, I'm so fully into the world they've created, that they can talk about managing finances and I'm just excited to be there.

And the Kingslayer scene at the end was awesome!

Anybody know some good resources if you want to follow up on the characters, factions, etc.. without giving anything away?

towerofthehand.com is pretty good. You can set the scope of what of have or haven't read/watched and it will edit information accordingly.

They have chapter summaries of each book and you can look up specific characters to get some background info.

Just avoid the discussions portion of each topic to avoid spoilers. There a warnings before you read a spoiler section, too.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved the scene with Joffrey and Tywin. Tywin really owns him.

he completely disrespects him on every level and when Joffrey tries to put him in his place he turns it around with a look. Its brilliant. Joffrey knows he is the one he cannot intimidate nor control

Theon is screwed.... I think his deserve is not even past paid he slaughtered those farm boys keep the torture going. talk about some mind frak