• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Winter Is Coming | Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in the same boat. Watched the series before I started the books, so everything in these first two is basically old hat, sans a few differences between the books and show. I'm around page 600 of Storm of Swords and I'm just trying to push through the last few hundred pages so I can get into some new material.

lol, Im on 675 exactly, Arya's chapter. I have a very long day of heavy drinking tomorrow so I am staying in tonight. I will probably finish the book today and start A Storm of Swords on Sunday.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, the books are so different. And so much better. What takes place north of the Wall in the second book is so much different than in the TV series. There are so many things I would have loved to see included in the TV series from this book...

**SPOILER ALERT**
I really would have loved to see the scenes involving Meera and Jojen Reed with Bran in the Godswood with the wolves... As well as what happens in Jon Snow's "dream" north of the Wall. I can;t believe they are pretty much eliminating that aspect from the story for the TV series thus far. The idea of them being linked to the wolves like that is so fucking epic. Oh well.

I tried to say what is in white as vaguely as possible to even make it harder to make out what I am saying unless you have actually read the books.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Page 885. Almost done! I already have book 3 ready to start at work. :lol:

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Page 885. Almost done! I already have book 3 ready to start at work. :lol:

I just hit 800 last night, so I'm not far off. And I totally agree about your posted spoiler. It was ignored by the show and I'd imagine it becomes a pretty big thing later on in the story. I see why they combined certain events in the show in order to save time and make things clearer, so I can't fault them too much.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started the third book this morning. I'm fucking addicted to this story... It's pretty sad that my dreams have a heavy Game of Thrones influence.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started the third book this morning. I'm fucking addicted to this story... It's pretty sad that my dreams have a heavy Game of Thrones influence.

I've finished all five already, but I may need to go back and re-read 2-5. After reading your spoiler alert above, I realiz I'd completely forgotten some of that stuff...and of course book 6 probably won't be released for another 3 years or so (according to Martin anyway). I'll need something to help bridge the gap

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One time I was playing this online game "Infantry" so much that I started seeing parking lots and wondering if I could use "stims" to get across fast enough before the snipers pegged me. And that game was 2D.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spoiler about missing people and stuff
Sly - the "link" is there but subtle in the TV show. I expect it to increase next season (do not check out the casting but trust me, your complains are addressed.)

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One time I was playing this online game "Infantry" so much that I started seeing parking lots and wondering if I could use "stims" to get across fast enough before the snipers pegged me. And that game was 2D.

:lol:

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spoiler about missing people and stuff
Sly - the "link" is there but subtle in the TV show. I expect it to increase next season (do not check out the casting but trust me, your complains are addressed.)

Yea, I've already looked before. I know who is being introduced next season. I just wish those scenes were portrayed in the TV series. I imagine it has to do with the budget and the cost of CGI, but it would have been so friggin awesome.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's crazy how much is different in the books from the show. Well actually the opposite, but whatever.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
enhanced-buzz-wide-27863-1343769819-6.jpg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm having a hard time getting through book 4. It kind of sucks, to be honest. And by that I mean it's just not very interesting.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm having a hard time getting through book 4. It kind of sucks, to be honest. And by that I mean it's just not very interesting.

Books 4 and 5 go hand in hand. He had so much material that he split it in two. If I could do it all over I'd wait on reading 4 until 5 came out, and then read them at the same time. Give me a bit, I'm going to see if I can find someone who has compiled the two books and created a chapter by chapter reading list. Might be easier to read them that way, but I don't want you to google for it and run face first into spoilers.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have book 5 yet. I'll keep grinding through book 4. Thanks for that information though. I would delete that post, the chapter names themselves are kind of spoilers for anyone who hasn't read book 3.

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, so I need to vent a bit. I am around page 800 of book 3 and the story is starting to lose me. By that I mean I am starting to lose interest, which I will explain below.

FYI, if you haven't read to the end of book 3 then turn back now, there are spoilers on the way. I will however try and keep them as vague as possible and still make my point.

*SPOLER ALERT -- BE WARNED*

So here is my beef in a nut shell. (A big nut shell.) Everyone dies. I know I'm not the first person to say that about this book, but bear with me a sec. I don't mind when good guys get killed. (Ned was shocking but it had to happen for the rest of the story to explode. I actually think I was mode disappointed that Sean Bean would no longer be on the show than anything else.) I also don't mind when the bad guys win. In fact, stories in general need stronger bad guys imo. However, herein lies the rub. When everything that can possibly go wrong, goes wrong... and when it becomes totally predictable... that's when I start to lose interest. For example, when Robb set out from Riverrun, I knew he was toast. So now I'm left with almost only characters I despise and no one that I can get on board with except Jon Snow and Arya. In the books, Tyrion is not as dynamic as in the show. So while I do like him in the books, I'm not attached. And something tells me that even in the final 300ish pages of book 3 he will probably be killed. When I can figure out what will happen simply because it is the worst possible outcome, I get bored. So here I am, hoping against hope that the rest of book 3 gives me something I don't already see coming. Oh, and one other thing before I forget. Deaths in these books get no play. What happened at the wedding filled about 3 pages and that was all she wrote. Okay, now I'm done. Thanks for reading.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im only like 25% of the way through book 3. I hear book 4 and 5 are huge let downs though. I guess time will tell. I plan on hammering this series out and then diving back into the Hobbit to refresh the memory before the movie comes out.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im only like 25% of the way through book 3. I hear book 4 and 5 are huge let downs though. I guess time will tell. I plan on hammering this series out and then diving back into the Hobbit to refresh the memory before the movie comes out.

Stick it out. I understand a lot of the complaints about A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons, but overall there are still some extremely fun things happening. And by fun I mean, "Are you fucking kidding me?! KILL THAT GUY! KILL THAT GUY RIGHT NOW!!!" But you have no idea who I mean, sir. You will though.... :madgrin:

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I'm definitely finishing it.