• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Winter Is Coming | Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is only one left, who drives? :noidea:
Also if one of them died then....well there are a lot of hungry people. Do you think Dany would let them butcher and roast the dead one? Maybe a nice scene where Davos filled up a young kid's bowl with broth and smiles when they notice a claw in it.

Would the meat even cook? They left so many unanswered questions.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also if one of them died then....well there are a lot of hungry people. Do you think Dany would let them butcher and roast the dead one? Maybe a nice scene where Davos filled up a young kid's bowl with broth and smiles when they notice a claw in it.

Would the meat even cook? They left so many unanswered questions.

You could probably brine it.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel very conflicted about this past episode. There were a bunch of things I really liked and some things I REALLY hated. Here are some thoughts...

The battle scene was obviously great overall. The initial visual of the dothraki torches all going out, the sweeping cinematography with the dragons, the cat and mouse games inside the castle - it may be the best battle scene ever filmed on television. The tension was great, the task felt overwhelming.

But it wasn't overwhelming. A typical GOT wedding has more major character carnage than this ultimate battle between the dead and the living. There were far too many "saved just in time" moments akin to the Star Wars series that really don't belong in Game of Thrones. Sam would be dead. Jorah should have never ridden back from the first charge. The show writers went soft. The Mormont girl, Jorah, and Edd. That's seriously it? That's a total joke of a sacrifice for an unwinnable battle. The last episode built up that a great loss was coming. It didn't. That loss would have not only been more realistic and more in tune with the series, but would have forced the characters to deal with their doubts and their loss heading in to the Iron Throne Bowl.

Which also brings us to the Night King. We have wondered about this guy for almost a decade now. And that is how he goes out? Gloating too long before the final kill? Oberyn Martell - I get it, flawed, too focused on revenge. That's why he got killed taking too long on the final blow. But the Night King - nah. And where the hell did Arya come flying from past all those dead soldiers? They could have used some kind of faceless men thing at the very least. But more importantly, does the Night King seem like he would ever put himself in that position? If he knows everyone is linked to him, why would he even go into the fray until it was all over? He has no reason to gloat. No pride we are aware of. He's been far in the distance in every battle we've seen up until now. He just go too close all while he had tons of troops that could have killed Bran and anyone else. I'm sorry, that's just fucking stupid. Two minutes before he died I joked with my fiancee about what if Bran just reached out and lamely stabbed the Night King and then that's what ACTUALLY what happened. I honestly laughed. They beat the Night King by using the same tactics Chris Hanson used in a plan hatched at the last minute the night before.

So the Night King died lamely, the sacrifice promised (and required by GOT bylaws for doing good things) was not delivered upon, and, outside of Dani being a little sad that Lord Friend Zone won't be around anymore, everyone came out of this just fine. (sorry, horses)

The more I think about it, the more I think this might have been one of the worst GOT episodes.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, the more I think this might have been one of the worst GOT episodes.

tenor.gif

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how you can have an 8000 year history in one spot and not make it out of the Medieval Period.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how you can have an 8000 year history in one spot and not make it out of the Medieval Period.

In my fanfiction which takes place not long after the series they develop gunpowder in Qarth and that's when things really take off. I'll post it when I'm finished (may be awhile, still working on my Family Matters fanfiction).

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my fanfiction which takes place not long after the series they develop gunpowder in Qarth and that's when things really take off. I'll post it when I'm finished (may be awhile, still working on my Family Matters fanfiction).

While Nasty's fan fiction does move forward a couple plot points, readers should be warned there is a VERY prolonged S&M relationship between Dani and Jon that takes up about 90% of his works - "50 Knives of Gray - An Erotic Tale from The Wall to Qarth."

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel very conflicted about this past episode. There were a bunch of things I really liked and some things I REALLY hated. Here are some thoughts...

The battle scene was obviously great overall. The initial visual of the dothraki torches all going out, the sweeping cinematography with the dragons, the cat and mouse games inside the castle - it may be the best battle scene ever filmed on television. The tension was great, the task felt overwhelming.

But it wasn't overwhelming. A typical GOT wedding has more major character carnage than this ultimate battle between the dead and the living. There were far too many "saved just in time" moments akin to the Star Wars series that really don't belong in Game of Thrones. Sam would be dead. Jorah should have never ridden back from the first charge. The show writers went soft. The Mormont girl, Jorah, and Edd. That's seriously it? That's a total joke of a sacrifice for an unwinnable battle. The last episode built up that a great loss was coming. It didn't. That loss would have not only been more realistic and more in tune with the series, but would have forced the characters to deal with their doubts and their loss heading in to the Iron Throne Bowl.

Which also brings us to the Night King. We have wondered about this guy for almost a decade now. And that is how he goes out? Gloating too long before the final kill? Oberyn Martell - I get it, flawed, too focused on revenge. That's why he got killed taking too long on the final blow. But the Night King - nah. And where the hell did Arya come flying from past all those dead soldiers? They could have used some kind of faceless men thing at the very least. But more importantly, does the Night King seem like he would ever put himself in that position? If he knows everyone is linked to him, why would he even go into the fray until it was all over? He has no reason to gloat. No pride we are aware of. He's been far in the distance in every battle we've seen up until now. He just go too close all while he had tons of troops that could have killed Bran and anyone else. I'm sorry, that's just fucking stupid. Two minutes before he died I joked with my fiancee about what if Bran just reached out and lamely stabbed the Night King and then that's what ACTUALLY what happened. I honestly laughed. They beat the Night King by using the same tactics Chris Hanson used in a plan hatched at the last minute the night before.

So the Night King died lamely, the sacrifice promised (and required by GOT bylaws for doing good things) was not delivered upon, and, outside of Dani being a little sad that Lord Friend Zone won't be around anymore, everyone came out of this just fine. (sorry, horses)

I am anticipating that the last couple of episodes will satisfy your bloodlust :nod:

In the trailer for E4, there is a shot of Euron on one knee in front of Cersei. I am thinking "Red Wedding, Part Deux"

As Euron would say "It will be glorious"

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Episode 4 had more action than I was expecting. So, good. More deaths than I was expecting (which was 0 in this episode).

I thought it was another solid episode. Feels like they are rushing the "final countdown" with Cersei, but you may feel that the first few seasons took too long to "do" anything :noidea: That is my only quibble, moving a little too quickly to the endgame.

I love the Tyrion/Varys discussions. The political machinations interest me, although perhaps not to everyone's tastes.

Most characters are staying true, particularly Arya and Jon. I like that.

Certainly teasing a Danerys turn to the Mad Queen. Not sure that is really where it is going though.

Did we really say goodbye to some characters this week? 8 seasons of being surprised suggests, nahhh, we will see them again. Probably the final episode.

Here is a crazy thought. What if, when the snow melts, Kings Landing is not the seat of power in the Seven Kingdoms? Might change the endgame.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're doing a great job of making Jon & Dany out to be on par with Benito Mussolini when it comes to military intellect.

-Dany refusing to take a few days to let the soldiers rest and then rushing to a part of the world her forces haven’t been in months without scouting the area around it first

-Jon not trying to convince the Wildlings to stay and fight when his army is already depleted

-Jon swearing to support Dany and then passing damaging information to people who do not support her

-Dany invading Kings Landing when, again, she is advised by smart people to not do so yet

I don’t understand the Missandei thing at all – dozens of ships, dozens of projectiles tearing through them, hundreds of people falling into the sea and somehow Euron’s people manage to snag her? And how would they know she matters, like, at all (I mean, really, she doesn’t but…)?

And we got to witness the two luckiest moments in military history real or fiction when Euron solitarily managed to fire, what, 5 bolts into Dragon Force 1 from a ship hidden behind a massive coastal rock formation and then Dragon Force 2 manages to successfully evade a Baghdad 2003's worth of anti-aircraft fire emanating from seemingly every ship under Euron's command.

The newest front-runner for the throne is Pod’s dick. Well done as always Pod. Honourable mention to Tormund for getting the fuck out of there.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their lack of strategy makes sense, in that I expect they will not win militarily. If Cersei is defeated, it will be the hit team of Donkey and Shrek to come through.

BTW yes I saw the Starbucks cup. LOL. But I am pretty sure I saw an old guy that looked a lot like Willie Nelson singing "On the Road Again" while the Hound and Arya ride south. And you just KNOW they will stop in at Hot Pie's on the way to Kings Landing.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're doing a great job of making Jon & Dany out to be on par with Benito Mussolini when it comes to military intellect.

-Dany refusing to take a few days to let the soldiers rest and then rushing to a part of the world her forces haven’t been in months without scouting the area around it first

-Jon not trying to convince the Wildlings to stay and fight when his army is already depleted

-Jon swearing to support Dany and then passing damaging information to people who do not support her

-Dany invading Kings Landing when, again, she is advised by smart people to not do so yet
pretty much this. It's getting to the point I'm almost rooting for Cersei just for the fact that every time I think they can't get any dumber when dealing with her, they just pull a "hold my beer" moment.