• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Sportshoopla 49er Mock Draft

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So as the title states I'm doing the Mock draft for the 49ers on Sportshoopla.
We are on pick 13 and a few defensive guys are falling a little bit. So I was wondering what pick would I trade up for and how high to go?

The most intriguing player to me is Richardson but I do like Jarvis Jones and Star Lotulelei. None of these guys are going to fall to us. And I think I can get a safety or corner at 34. I'm not interested in a WR in the 1st plus Austin and Patterson are gone. So what do you guys think?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Margus Hunt a lot, but you might be able to get him in round 2. Hunter, Hankins, Jenkins, and Eric Reid are all guys I like who should be there. I'm not so sure about Reid in the 1st, though.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think that our best bet would be to stand pat unless the early 20's come around and Jarvis/Star/Trufant are available. I personally would be highly interested in moving up for Trufant to the early 20's or stay and target Datone Jones. With the 34th pick, if we get Trufant, I would target DL/S, or if we get Datone Jones, target S(Reid, as others have suggested) or move for a first next year.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reid should be there in the 3rd

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A supreme you got Miami Rt ill trade you indy's 1st for your 2nd and 3rd

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just in case anyone cares I moved up to 15 for Star. It took 31 61 & 128. Thought the value was to great not to do so.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A supreme you got Miami Rt ill trade you indy's 1st for your 2nd and 3rd

On face value I would take that trade but I gotta see if there is anyone that I would draft there I'll PM you with my answer.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's an interesting move. I don't know much about Lotulelei, but he was being considered at the #1 spot not so long ago, so getting him at 15 is a great move on paper. I don't love giving up three quality picks to do it, but if he's as good as advertised it's the sort of move I'd consider. I'd much rather move up for a defensive player than offensive - particularly WR - anyway.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an interesting move. I don't know much about Lotulelei, but he was being considered at the #1 spot not so long ago, so getting him at 15 is a great move on paper. I don't love giving up three quality picks to do it, but if he's as good as advertised it's the sort of move I'd consider. I'd much rather move up for a defensive player than offensive - particularly WR - anyway.

This was my thought process. I believe that our secondary will improve with a steady constant pass rush and if Lotulelei can come in and start at Nose in base and rotate with Smith & RayMac when we use a 4 man line I think our pass rush will stay constant through out the year & Playoffs.

Also we still have picks 34 & both 3rds to add a safety, Wr, etc etc

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As I said in another thread, I'm warming to the idea of them moving up if they think they can get an impact player. We have loads of picks. We need some difference-makers to replace some of our aging players - read: Justin Smith. I'm generally averse to trading up, and it may not make a ton of sense this year given that the draft is deep but light at the top, but it's something I'm more open to than I've been in the past.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As I said in another thread, I'm warming to the idea of them moving up if they think they can get an impact player. We have loads of picks. We need some difference-makers to replace some of our aging players - read: Justin Smith. I'm generally averse to trading up, and it may not make a ton of sense this year given that the draft is deep but light at the top, but it's something I'm more open to than I've been in the past.

That is the big trade off and it's always really tough make the choice which is best.

We can package picks or even move back to get a future 1st next year (or get multiple picks after the first next year that we can turn into a 1st next year), or we can sit tight where we are in the bottom of the first/top second, bottom second, etc. and completely fill out the depth and integrate prospects who can probably make a better transition into starters.

If we choose to sit tight, we could be giving up impact players. If we move, we may be in a situation where we suddenly find weakness (like at S in the other thread).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
it comes down to our evaluators making the right decision on the player? we fans get too caught up in the value of the picks (understandably, not knocking it), but as long as the player pans out?

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the big trade off and it's always really tough make the choice which is best.

We can package picks or even move back to get a future 1st next year (or get multiple picks after the first next year that we can turn into a 1st next year), or we can sit tight where we are in the bottom of the first/top second, bottom second, etc. and completely fill out the depth and integrate prospects who can probably make a better transition into starters.

If we choose to sit tight, we could be giving up impact players. If we move, we may be in a situation where we suddenly find weakness (like at S in the other thread).

it comes down to our evaluators making the right decision on the player? we fans get too caught up in the value of the picks (understandably, not knocking it), but as long as the player pans out?

I agree with both of you. I traded up to get Star because I saw him as an impact player and a upgrade to the DL. But what I didn't know is that Tank Carradine would last to 31. I believe Star is the superior player but not significantly enough to warrant the lost of 61 overall (which I gave up to get Star)

I did get Cyrprien at 34 but both Eifert and Ertz fell to the middle of the 2nd round. (In this scenario I would move up in the 2nd to draft one of them probably Ertz.) So now I wonder if the 3 picks of Tank, Cyprien & Ertz would be better value then Star, Cyprien, (Slay?)

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with both of you. I traded up to get Star because I saw him as an impact player and a upgrade to the DL. But what I didn't know is that Tank Carradine would last to 31. I believe Star is the superior player but not significantly enough to warrant the lost of 61 overall (which I gave up to get Star)

I did get Cyrprien at 34 but both Eifert and Ertz fell to the middle of the 2nd round. (In this scenario I would move up in the 2nd to draft one of them probably Ertz.) So now I wonder if the 3 picks of Tank, Cyprien & Ertz would be better value then Star, Cyprien, (Slay?)

Buyer's remorse? DE is so strong in this draft. I can't knock the move, but Baalke would have to clearly have Star graded as a top 10 talent with a lot of separation from the other DE prospects.

I'd also just hold tight to get someone like Datone Jones, Carradine, etc. at 31. One will fall. There's just too many of them. In the off-chance they all did go, then an athletic NT would then be there that we could leave on the field for all three downs. That would shift the long term hole from NT to DE.

I now also want to roll the dice and wait to take a FS until the mid to bottom second depending on who else is there at 34. We should get a very solid FS a little later who isn't graded significantly lower than whoever is there at 34. I just don't see any of the FS's as impact players compared to what should be there at the other positions.

Assuming we grab a DE at 31, then we'd get an impact player at NT, OLB, WR, TE, or CB at 34, and circle back for the FS. The WR would have to be a really, really good player though.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buyer's remorse? DE is so strong in this draft. I can't knock the move, but Baalke would have to clearly have Star graded as a top 10 talent with a lot of separation from the other DE prospects.

I'd also just hold tight to get someone like Datone Jones, Carradine, etc. at 31. One will fall. There's just too many of them. In the off-chance they all did go, then an athletic NT would then be there that we could leave on the field for all three downs. That would shift the long term hole from NT to DE.

I now also want to roll the dice and wait to take a FS until the mid to bottom second depending on who else is there at 34. We should get a very solid FS a little later who isn't graded significantly lower than whoever is there at 34. I just don't see any of the FS's as impact players compared to what should be there at the other positions.

Assuming we grab a DE at 31, then we'd get an impact player at NT, OLB, WR, TE, or CB at 34, and circle back for the FS. The WR would have to be a really, really good player though.

Not buyers remorse per say because I believe Star is a top 10 talent that can start at NT and DE but I wonder if I got as much bang for my buck. Also about the FS thing Elam, Reid & Vaccaro where all gone at 34. So Cyprien was the last of the "starters" at the position.

Hunter was available but I much rather get Da'Rick Rodgers 4-5 then get a WR @ 34.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not buyers remorse per say because I believe Star is a top 10 talent that can start at NT and DE but I wonder if I got as much bang for my buck. Also about the FS thing Elam, Reid & Vaccaro where all gone at 34. So Cyprien was the last of the "starters" at the position.

Hunter was available but I much rather get Da'Rick Rodgers 4-5 then get a WR @ 34.

I didn't see how the mock shook out. It's surprising Elam, Reid, and Vaccaro were all gone at 34. That does change things.

And it's the thing that's driving me crazy right now. I really want to hold off having to pull the trigger on a FS at 31 and 34, but I just don't know how realistic it is. Whatever FS we draft will be on the field with a big bullseye circled around him. As soon as Cyprien or Swearinger comes off, I think we'd have to move up to grab the other unless there's another under the radar. I'm hoping Baalke has an ace up his sleeve with another FS under the radar that we'd comfortable with starting.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see how the mock shook out. It's surprising Elam, Reid, and Vaccaro were all gone at 34. That does change things.

And it's the thing that's driving me crazy right now. I really want to hold off having to pull the trigger on a FS at 31 and 34, but I just don't know how realistic it is. Whatever FS we draft will be on the field with a big bullseye circled around him. As soon as Cyprien or Swearinger comes off, I think we'd have to move up to grab the other unless there's another under the radar. I'm hoping Baalke has an ace up his sleeve with another FS under the radar that we'd comfortable with starting.

Yea their was a serious run on safeties. I wanted Cyprien from the get go so I had no problems drafting him at 34. You think Swearinger can play FS? I wouldn't mind him at SS but I would be worried with Whitner & him back there. I personally think we should draft two safeties this year, I am intrigued with a combo of Eric Reid & Cyprien & interchange their position to disguise who is coming up in run support or who is staying single high etc etc. That has the potential of giving QBs fits as to who is in coverage.

Another person I would like is David Amerson at FS only. Amerson & Cyprien or Reid would be a way I would go if we didn't draft a S @ 34

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think he could play FS as a physical Goldson type but would have to make WR's fear coming over the middle. He won't be as good as Goldson but should be versatile enough. I'd definitely want to double down later in the draft to hedge with a ballhawk FS type like Rambo. Ray wanted to go with Reid 1st at SS and Rambo in the third at FS. This would just be swapping out Reid with Swearinger. However, Whitner will (unforunately) be our SS for a year to coordinate everything. So whoever is the best rookie S will be thrown into the fire at FS.

My thought process is we get an impact player on defense (d-line, pass rush, or CB) to help take pressure off the safeties, or add an impact offensive weapon to put more points on the board (most likely a TE who can move the chains/be a redzone threat).

Nnamdi should also really help us get off the field on 3rd down. I can see Fangio only asking him to take their 2nd WR out of the game in man to man coverage.

I'll be waffling back and forth on this strategy for the next few weeks because it's a gamble. Going with a FS at 31 or 34 is the safer play. But just imagine the long term effect of getting a monster pass rusher coming from the other side on third down. Or the impact of getting a cheap CB through the draft that was able to carry the torch for Rogers.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49er picks so far:

15 San Francisco (from New Orleans) Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
34 San Francisco (from Kansas City) Johnathan Cyprien, FS, Florida International
74 San Francisco 49ers (from Carolina) Darius Slay, CB Mississippi State
93 San Francisco 49ers Da'Rick Rogers WR Tennessee Tech

Opinions? Love? Hate?

Full Mock http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/...-sports-SportsHoopla-official-mock-draft.html