• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pro Football Network (4 Round Mock)

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

31) Cincinnati Bengals: Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington​

Although addressing the offensive line is obviously the biggest offseason project for the Cincinnati Bengals, the way the board has fallen in this 2022 NFL Mock Draft means that the Bengals are a victim of their own success and miss out on some of the top talents at both the tackle and guard positions.

Instead, they use their first-round selection to fill another area of need. Kyler Gordon might not be the Washington cornerback that people expect to see in the first round. However, his elite athletic profile — combined with impressive football intelligence and a bone-shaking physicality — gives him the upper hand as a more complete cornerback prospect.

63) Cincinnati Bengals
Bernhard Raimann, OT, Central Michigan

95) Cincinnati Bengals
Matthew Butler, DT, Tennessee

135) Cincinnati Bengals
Jamaree Salyer, OG, Georgia

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wouldn't mind seeing the Bengals go after CB DJ Reed from the Seahawks either. He is just now starting to come into his own, ranked 8th among 122 ranked CB's in PFF Grade last year out of 1002 snaps. His projected contract is expected around 3 years for $24 million. Get another guy like Awuzie. Good grades, just starting to come into his own, reasonable contract due to lack of high end play in a series of years.

Go after DT Larry Ogunjobi again. He will probably be around 7 to 8 million a year. 3 years for $24 million.

S Jesse Bates is probably going to get the franchise tag. $15 million?

OC Bradley Boozman is projected to get around a 3 year deal worth $21 million, but may be closer to $24 million.

OG James Daniels is projected to get around 5 years for $50 million.

OT Riley Reiff for 1 year worth $7.5 million.

Couple this free agency class with the above projected 4 round mock draft? I think we would be in pretty good shape, what says you?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can absolutely afford to pay Bates. I thought I saw where he said he wasn't looking for #1 money, but top 5 - which given his post-season play and regular season history - is fair market.

The Bengals have a TON of cash to spend, and the cap is projected to jump to nearly 300M in 4 years with the new TV deal. The Bengals can front load all of their F/A deals and still keep their picks AND still have plenty of cash over the next 3-4-5 years to extend key core players.

It is a perfect storm that broke nearly 100% the Bengals way this off-season.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can absolutely afford to pay Bates. I thought I saw where he said he wasn't looking for #1 money, but top 5 - which given his post-season play and regular season history - is fair market.

The Bengals have a TON of cash to spend, and the cap is projected to jump to nearly 300M in 4 years with the new TV deal. The Bengals can front load all of their F/A deals and still keep their picks AND still have plenty of cash over the next 3-4-5 years to extend key core players.

It is a perfect storm that broke nearly 100% the Bengals way this off-season.
Do players typically like front loaded contracts that pay them less later on? I thought players, like most people, like to see their rate of pay increased on an annual basis, not decrease and set a new market floor value for them upon completion of their contract.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do players typically like front loaded contracts that pay them less later on? I thought players, like most people, like to see their rate of pay increased on an annual basis, not decrease and set a new market floor value for them upon completion of their contract.
Honestly - I'm guessing up front because they want the cash now, and figure they can also re-negotiate later. Typically, those who carry large cap hits later in the contract get converted to bonus that are paid up front and allow it to be spread over multiple year. So, ultimately, at some point, those guys move on/get cut - and never see the back end of that contract anyway.

Larger point was more about how the Bengals have always operated the cap - Locked on bengals went over cash spend vs cap. The Bengals tend to cash spend roughly equal to the cap each year. They are currently 100 million under that number. They have more than enough to make a ton of deals and not blow up the cap knowing the increase that is coming with the new TV deal.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly - I'm guessing up front because they want the cash now, and figure they can also re-negotiate later. Typically, those who carry large cap hits later in the contract get converted to bonus that are paid up front and allow it to be spread over multiple year. So, ultimately, at some point, those guys move on/get cut - and never see the back end of that contract anyway.

Larger point was more about how the Bengals have always operated the cap - Locked on bengals went over cash spend vs cap. The Bengals tend to cash spend roughly equal to the cap each year. They are currently 100 million under that number. They have more than enough to make a ton of deals and not blow up the cap knowing the increase that is coming with the new TV deal.
I don't know I was just asking.

I guess having it up front always secures you more because if you are to have a major injury, getting cut is not as tragic to their income.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know I was just asking.

I guess having it up front always secures you more because if you are to have a major injury, getting cut is not as tragic to their income.
In the end, I would say that getting cash in hand is King, even if the contract overall is smaller on paper. Again, so many players sign big back-loaded deals and then never see the back of that contract - especially older guys - because the ego wants the $$$$ on the paper to make it look like they are getting "PAID". For a guy like Jensen, who is 31 (IIRC) - a 3 year deal takes him to 34/35. Any deal past 3 years he risks not really seeing that money. Typically teams do that so they can add years they know they have no intention of keeping that player past so they can spread out the bonus hit by an extra year, or 2 after July 1st.

So, Jensen can take a 3 year deal worth (for example, as I have no clue) $35M. With $15M in year one, most of the bonus paid out, then $10M and $10M. He's likely going to see all 3 years of that deal, and by year 3, with the cap exploding, is a pittance. There would also be a very small amount if they did cut him in that final year, and could even spread it over 2 by waiting until July - but a 3 year deal like that is usually seen through.

OR

He could sign a 5 year deal worth $65M, right - but the reality is he may never see year 4 or 5. His first 3 years of the contract might actually end up being smaller because $40M+ of that is in year 4 and 5. So, he can get $35 for 3 years, and cash in hand, or sign the "big" contract, and likely leave $40M on the contract and end up with less. What happens is IF a team decides to keep the player, is that they renegotiate the contract for an addition 1-2 years, pay, let's say, $20 of that remaining $40M as a "bonus" and allows the team to spread that money over an additional 2 more years.

Bengals have avoided this by paying the cash up front, allowing players to realize the majority/all of their actual contract, AND it doesn't screw them in the cap by kicking additional bonus money 2-3-4 years past when a player is even still on the roster. That is how the Saints, Steelers, and others got where they are with their contracts - back-loading so much of their contracts, and trying 6-7-8 year deals to spread bonus cap money into future years, so even as the cap jumps, teams still end up finding themselves only with 25-30M to spend, while other teams, like the Bengals, will find themselves with 60-70-80.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players want up-front money. Contracts aren't guaranteed in the NFL. It's always going to be better to get as much cash up front. Remember Chad Johnson's agent? I think it was Drew Rosenhaus.... That guy used to love getting as much money up front as possible and then have his guys threaten holdouts once they were 2 years into the deal.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I saw a draft where we draft Raimann in the first round, and here we get him in the second, so I guess that's good.

If we don't make some moves in free agency to get at least 1 tackle and 1 guard/Center, and possibly another depth person, we will again hoping for a crap shoot with the draft. and we should still sign a few offensive lineman through the draft. it's clearly the most neglected spot on the roster once again, and was decimated by depth/injury issues once again. it's a miracle we still have joe burrow.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's 33 years old, think he might retire? the peak ages for OT is between 25-31
coming off injury and past his prime?

I'm not sure we're going to pay him, but likely replace him.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's 33 years old, think he might retire? the peak ages for OT is between 25-31
coming off injury and past his prime?

I'm not sure we're going to pay him, but likely replace him.
Never know. Look at Whitworth. 1 year stop gap to hold us over until we know we have that guy. And if we find him in the draft and he is ready by mid-season, Reiff can collect that cash while being a backup and sitting on the bench.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raimann has been shooting up the boards. Not sure he will be there, making F/A even more of a priority. You have no clue who will be there at 31. Getting at least 1 OG and a C - re-sign Reiff as insurance. I really liked the kid they drafted last year, Smith, from ECU/Tulsa - not sure. 2020 was really hard on him with COVID and he lost a bunch of weight and struggled, but prior to that was rising as a prospect. If you can at least get an OG and C, then 3/5th of the line will be above average, and you have to hope that Carmen shows he can hold down one of the other OG spots.

If Raimann is there, then you can take him, and play him behind Reiff until he wins that job - and you aren't really out much for 1 more year on Reiff - just insurance. If not, the DL out of Georgia would be a really nice addition to Reader on the line, and add some much needed depth/youth among the interior even if they get Ogunjobi or Hill to re-sign.

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just a feel on how the next couple of months will go:

* They will sign at least 2 but possibly 3 veteran offensive lineman (most likely Center, Guard and/or Right Tackle) who will be instant starters. Those individuals won't be someone they feel they can "coach up" or anything like that...these 2-3 will have to be proven, QUALITY commodities. This isn't the offseason for signing the Xavier Su'a-Filo's of the world. And don't undersell the value of free agents considering Cincinnati a free agency destination based off of the Quarterback alone.

They are good at Left Tackle with Jonah Williams and I think they are really counting on someone like Jackson Carman or Dante' Smith emerging and grabbing the other Guard spot. No more Hakeem Adeniji being forklifted into the backfield at an interior spot. Quentin Spain is someone they could possibly retain at a lower number and he could be in the mix as well.

* Trey Hopkins is cut and that frees up $6 million right there. I wouldn't be opposed to signing him back at a much lower number and he could be a valuable backup piece.

* Use the #31 pick on Cornerback. This team will be losing Trae Waynes (cut) and Darrius Phillips (FA) for sure. Eli Apple is a Free Agent but I pray they aren't bringing him back to be the #2. I wouldn't be shocked if they don't look to retain Apple but he should be depth at best and we all know for the good that he can occasionally bring, the bad is just as present. They have to improve the other CB on the outside opposite of Awuzie. I like Kyler Gordon (CB - University of Washington). Kyler Gordon Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

* Re-sign CJ Uzomah and tag/extend Jessie Bates.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a feel on how the next couple of months will go:

* They will sign at least 2 but possibly 3 veteran offensive lineman (most likely Center, Guard and/or Right Tackle) who will be instant starters. Those individuals won't be someone they feel they can "coach up" or anything like that...these 2-3 will have to be proven, QUALITY commodities. This isn't the offseason for signing the Xavier Su'a-Filo's of the world. And don't undersell the value of free agents considering Cincinnati a free agency destination based off of the Quarterback alone.

They are good at Left Tackle with Jonah Williams and I think they are really counting on someone like Jackson Carman or Dante' Smith emerging and grabbing the other Guard spot. No more Hakeem Adeniji being forklifted into the backfield at an interior spot. Quentin Spain is someone they could possibly retain at a lower number and he could be in the mix as well.

* Trey Hopkins is cut and that frees up $6 million right there. I wouldn't be opposed to signing him back at a much lower number and he could be a valuable backup piece.

* Use the #31 pick on Cornerback. This team will be losing Trae Waynes (cut) and Darrius Phillips (FA) for sure. Eli Apple is a Free Agent but I pray they aren't bringing him back to be the #2. I wouldn't be shocked if they don't look to retain Apple but he should be depth at best and we all know for the good that he can occasionally bring, the bad is just as present. They have to improve the other CB on the outside opposite of Awuzie. I like Kyler Gordon (CB - University of Washington). Kyler Gordon Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

* Re-sign CJ Uzomah and tag/extend Jessie Bates.
Cutting Waynes and Hopkins frees up almost 17M.

That is more than enough to sign: Jensen, Tomlinson and Bates. With enough left over to target Ogunjobi or Hill. Smith is more of an OT prospect, I believe - so you have hopes he can take that job. Carmen the other OG spot. But I'd sign Reiff for 1 more year as insurance.

I'd then look to draft Raimann if he's there at 31, or the DL out of UGA who would really help the DL immediately, as well as start to add some youth to the DT spot.

I think you can get Bryant from Cincinnati at CB in round 2 - and he would be a perfect guy that can be expected to come in and start right away at DB #2 with his age and experience.

I'd still look to take another IOL as well as another DB and Safety in rounds 3-5 as those spots will need depth. The rest of the depth can be filled out through F/A.

Not sure where I stand on CJ - I like him, but at his best year, he still doesn't have the same impact as other TE's in the passing game. I'd re-sign him, but I wouldn't pay top market price for him. At some point the Bengals will need to target a younger, more offensively skilled, TE either in the draft or F/A.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I would like to see Boozman and Daniels. Cheaper this way, still young and quality players at their positions.

Daniel Jeremiah has been raving about Chris Paul's from Tulsa's intensity, pure strength and athletic ability. Not considered one of the top prospects right now, but expected to blow up boards by draft day. Not sure if #31 is too high for him or not, but would love that intensity and shear strength there in round #2. However, he may not even be close to being available with our 2nd round pick.

So in this scenario, if he is a guy we are targeting, trading down from t he 1st to the second, say the Falcons for their 43rd pick and 58th pick. We would then have the following available:

#43, #58, #63 (3 - 2nd rounders) If no one that we are highly interested in is available with the 31st pick.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never know. Look at Whitworth. 1 year stop gap to hold us over until we know we have that guy. And if we find him in the draft and he is ready by mid-season, Reiff can collect that cash while being a backup and sitting on the bench.
Reiff ain’t no

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess u can tell I’m not happy with reiff. I don’t know that anyone else will sign him though.