• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Shooting in Oregon Mall

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I instantly think of the Westboro Baptist Church... If they do indeed come today, it pains me to say this, I hope someone runs them all over. The only thing that would make them go away would be to completely ignore them. They live and thrive off of being in the spotlight. But people can't do that, we always seem to make people infamous rather than letting them fade out.

I wish no harm on anyone, unless of course all you do is cause harm to others. They exist solely to torment, and for that I wish someone would silence them for good. I am all for free speech, but there is a moral line that shouldn't be crossed, they are pure evil.

I am for freedom of speech as well but if I was at the funeral of my child killed in this terrible massacre and saw them cheering it I have no doubt I would snap.

I do not own a gun but own a car that is 3000 lbs and would inflict a lot of damage. I'm sure my actions would get me arrested but I bet my supporters at THEIR funeral services would be plenty.

No way I could contain myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There comes a point in which we must infringe upon our liberties to protect ourselves. There are three things we are all promised in this country ahead of everything else: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. When another "right" starts infringing upon natural rights, something needs to be looked at.

If only that piece of paper that outlines all of that had built into it certain provisions that allowed for it to be changed. If only the writers of said piece of paper realized they didn't know everything and couldn't possibly have predicted the state of the union 250 years in the future, and realizing their fallibility as human specifically stated that the document occasionally NEEDED to be changed.

If only.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'm not getting into the Westboro Baptist Church other than to say my brother in law is a member of another Baptist church and while he doesn't condone their methods he "understands" their message.

He also has one of the largest collections of lesbian sex pictures I've ever encountered.

Fighting them on streetcorners will do nothing but convince them they are right. They need to be battled like every other terrorist organization. Kill their money pipeline. Zeroes and Ones is where you will beat them.

/soapbox.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah. So far in my career I haven't had something like this to investigate. But it is unfortunately only a matter of time.

Expect some online forum to get seriously scrutinized in about a week...

So, hindsight is always 20/20, but it's probably not a good idea to leave assault weapons in your home if your son is having mental issues (like burning himself?)

Connecticut shooter's mum feared son was 'getting worse as he was burning himself with lighter' - Yahoo! News Canada

They are for protection, Dash. Please try to keep up.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... If this is a real still shot from the movie. Just creepy as fuck that people become that obsessed.

kn50ce384e.jpg

Still shot from The Dark Knight Rises (supposedly). Seems legit from what I am reading around the internet.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. So far in my career I haven't had something like this to investigate. But it is unfortunately only a matter of time.

Expect some online forum to get seriously scrutinized in about a week...

They are for protection, Dash. Please try to keep up.

Don't forget the squirrels

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when that Timothy McVeigh character and those kooky 9/11 hijackers shot all those people? Or when the Manson Family and Jeffrey Dahmer started opening fire on their victims? I'm not a gun nut, I don't own a gun and probably never will, but it's a lazy, ignorant, cop out solution to ban guns. Crazy people will be crazy. If it's not guns it's explosives, or knives, or machetes and pitchforks, or whatever these animals choose.

Forget should we ban guns. The tougher question is how do we prevent and identify mental health disorders such as this? People don't have an answer so they attempt to put a band aid on a gaping wound by bringing up gun control.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Although I do think there needs to be a lttle more gun control. Some guns just have no right out in the public. I am all for stricter background checks, but definitely not taking away guns altogether.

Mental illness is the root cause. I've been arguing with people non stop.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am for freedom of speech as well but if I was at the funeral of my child killed in this terrible massacre and saw them cheering it I have no doubt I would snap.

I do not own a gun but own a car that is 3000 lbs and would inflict a lot of damage. I'm sure my actions would get me arrested but I bet my supporters at THEIR funeral services would be plenty.

No way I could contain myself.

You would have to beat me to it. Not to minimize the shooting that occured but at least that person was mentally unstable. The follower's of this "church" are stable and just ignorant.

They have picketed fallen soldiers funerals and to drop to coming to cheer that this is god's revenge on society at the funerals of these fallen angels would send me into a complete Adam Lanza moment.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, hindsight is always 20/20, but it's probably not a good idea to leave assault weapons in your home if your son is having mental issues (like burning himself?)

Connecticut shooter's mum feared son was 'getting worse as he was burning himself with lighter' - Yahoo! News Canada

I have said this same thing about a million times. This mom knew her son was unstable and did not secure the weapons to keep them away from him. This kid was a ticking time bomb. She should have had a safe or something so he could not use these weapons. The next issue is that legal gun owners who do take precautions to insure that the weapons they own will not be used in things like this will ultimately suffer.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to report something as well. Tonight was my Gun clubs monthly meeting. We always discuss what is going on in the club and future events etc. Well at the end the President of my club stood up and suggested 2 things.1 a moment of silence that all of us observed with no issues and a brief explanation that our club (which is not a cash rich place) was sending 2k to a charity to help the family's of these victims. I missed the exact charity that he said but I felt like a proud member and it is one of the reasons I love that place.

Now of course a mere 2 grand does not replace a child but it is the fact that legal gun owners are human and we feel the pain from a event like this as well...probably more then the average person.

BTW Our club only has 120 member so 2k is a lot of money to us.

Last edited by a moderator:

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, he does have the best narrative voice.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh, the New York papers are brutal. They are shock value, gossip editorials.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh, the New York papers are brutal. They are shock value, gossip editorials.

Headline should read "Blood on our hands for sensationalizing and naming the killers more than the victims." A bit long but doable.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As mentioned several times in this thread (including by Nasty), gun control legislation will only go so far, identification and treatment of mental health issues as well as cultural and societal changes are the real keys to addressing the problem.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Headline should read "Blood on our hands for sensationalizing and naming the killers more than the victims." A bit long but doable.

As mentioned several times in this thread (including by Nasty), gun control legislation will only go so far, identification and treatment of mental health issues as well as cultural and societal changes are the real keys to addressing the problem.

Boss you mentioned it, and Dash you're right about cultural changes, a big one being news stations not mentioning these animals names or showing their pictures. Sporting events don't televise streakers because they don't won't copycats. Are these 24 hour news stations ever going to point the finger at themselves for advertising and glorifying these monsters?

It should be illegal to show the picture of the killers in these situations. I'm talking heavy fines and sanctions against these news stations and papers. Or at the very least there should be a time frame, maybe you can't show a picture for at least 2 months or something until the dust settles a bit and people aren't as interested. I don't know, but something needs to change.