• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - I'm bored, Part Pangos & Bell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Padres have signed James Shields to a four year deal

We'll see if they become a real good team or end up being like the Marlins and Jays in previous years when they spend all kinds of money and then it blows up in their face

But at least they look like they're going to be competitive

Shields is a decent pick up, and at least the numbers aren't as crazy high as the other FA pitchers were, but Shields never has seemed to live up to his nickname. And I don't know that the Padres can make big enough noise in that division.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shields is a decent pick up, and at least the numbers aren't as crazy high as the other FA pitchers were, but Shields never has seemed to live up to his nickname. And I don't know that the Padres can make big enough noise in that division.

Well I think he gets that for his performances in the playoffs, I agree in the regular season he's not great by any means, but it's a good signing

Remember, the Giants are in an odd year so they might miss the playoffs now but I think the Padres at the very least should be third place with a shot at a Wild Card, but I think they're a few pieces away still - wonder if they sign that Yoan Moncada kid

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Shields could become very average very soon. I don't think he'll be even better than average after the first two years of that deal.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think he gets that for his performances in the playoffs, I agree in the regular season he's not great by any means, but it's a good signing

Remember, the Giants are in an odd year so they might miss the playoffs now but I think the Padres at the very least should be third place with a shot at a Wild Card, but I think they're a few pieces away still - wonder if they sign that Yoan Moncada kid

I was thinking more the opposite. He was a big part of the Royals resurgence into the playoffs, but he didn't really impress me once the postseason hit. I guess when I think of big game guys it's Bumgarner and Wainwright that come to mind. They were of course good in the regular season too, but once the playoffs hit those guys are nearly unhittable.

James Shields Postseason Pitching Gamelogs | Baseball-Reference.com

His postseason stats are mediocre at best.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RIP Jerry 'The Shark' Tarkanian - I loved watching Phi Slamma Jamma.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody watch the SNL40 thing? I'd give it a solid B-. It started off really great, but after about an hour and some weird musical choices, it was meh.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody watch the SNL40 thing? I'd give it a solid B-. It started off really great, but after about an hour and some weird musical choices, it was meh.

Maybe it's just me but I hate all the recap/all-time/special shows they've done the past few years because they ignore so many of the great years and really try and sell you on the past few years. They use it as a cheap plug for the current incarnation of the show, almost as if they're saying "hey we're still funny, this current crop ranks right up alongside Bill Murray, Phil Hartman, Eddie Murphy etc."

With that said there was still plenty of good stuff in there. Growing up they always had SNL reruns on during my lunch break, that's all I watched for a good 8-10 year span, so I'm probably biased when judging today's SNL.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just me but I hate all the recap/all-time/special shows they've done the past few years because they ignore so many of the great years and really try and sell you on the past few years. They use it as a cheap plug for the current incarnation of the show, almost as if they're saying "hey we're still funny, this current crop ranks right up alongside Bill Murray, Phil Hartman, Eddie Murphy etc."

With that said there was still plenty of good stuff in there. Growing up they always had SNL reruns on during my lunch break, that's all I watched for a good 8-10 year span, so I'm probably biased when judging today's SNL.

It's not so much the talent as it is the writing. There have been some lean years, but something that people forget when they look fondly back at older years of SNL: there were probably a similar amount of bombed skits then, but these days we just remember Matt Foley, Waynes World, etc. That said, I absolutely agree about them forcing some not as good stuff. The Californians skit was horrible, and they left out some great stuff. Eddie Murphy clearly didn't want to be there. The second half of the show had a ton of filler and mediocre musical acts. Seriously, Miley Cyrus and Kanye? Instead of fitting in any number of Mike Meyers other stuff, or more Ferrell (who was great last night), or some of the older stuff like three amigos? Basically it peaked with celeb Jeopardy and Weekend Update (Jane Curtain...love her).

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were spoiled in the late 70s - early 80s with the talent that comprised the SNL roster. Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Gilda Radner, Chevy Chase, Jane Curtain, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Eddie Murphy etc. Of course, there were people that came later like Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey, Chris Farley and Mike Myers that were great as well, but the early days set the bar so high.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were spoiled in the late 70s - early 80s with the talent that comprised the SNL roster. Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Gilda Radner, Chevy Chase, Jane Curtain, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Eddie Murphy etc. Of course, there were people that came later like Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey, Chris Farley and Mike Myers that were great as well, but the early days set the bar so high.

Freaking John Belushi. I watched some of his clips from Animal House. That man was just fantastic. The horse scene will never fail to crack me up. "Holy shit!" "I thought there were blanks in that gun!" "HOLY shit!" "There WERE blanks in that gun!" "HOLY SHIT!" Ever heard the story of him and Joe Walsh? I mean, it's John Belushi and Joe "Wreckin' Hotel Rooms" Walsh, so that alone tells you what they got up to. Anyway, the Eagles were in Chicago, Belushi says he wants to show him around town, and they go to a super fancy restaurant, but they're both in jeans. So the guy at the door says "no jeans" and Belushi is ticked. So Belushi goes and gets black spray paint, they both spray paint their jeans black in an alley, and the guy lets them in (probably smelling to high heavens). So they sit and have their meal, but as they get up to leave they realize that the paint is all over the chairs and their butts no longer are black...so they sprint out.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also: I think there were some good years in the early 2000s, per usual they get saved by elections. I think that Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are fantastic, Jimmy Fallon and Ferrell also great. Ferrell's movies have worn on me a bit (similar to how Sandler's have), but last night I remembered how freaking funny that guy is. They could've had a show on his best skits alone and I would've watched.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SportsHoopla software is changing overnight - will be very curious to see what happens

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liking it so far, and it keeps gettin' better every time they tweak the finer details. :thumb:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WojYahooNBA

Denver has agreed to send JaVale McGee to Philadelphia, along with a first-round pick via OKC, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

Sixers are wheelin and dealin' - like it

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WojYahooNBA

Sources: As part of Brandon Knight trade, Milwaukee gets Michael Carter-Williams, Tyler Ennis and Miles Plumlee.

WojYahooNBA

Philadelphia has traded K.J. McDaniels to Houston for Isaiah Canaan and a second round pick, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

Oh my god

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of big stuff going on in the NBA today. HUGE deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.