• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bullshitting at the Barbershop

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of odd interviews, I was "invited" to a video interview that looks like it will be me responding to a series of pre-recorded quetions and some test/survey questions. Once I finish, I click submit and it gets sent to my recruiter. I can do it whenever I want.

Anyone ever heard of anything like that?

It's a big, as in humooooongus beeg company. But it kinda feels like a "Click here for live chat" kinda thing.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of odd interviews, I was "invited" to a video interview that looks like it will be me responding to a series of pre-recorded quetions and some test/survey questions. Once I finish, I click submit and it gets sent to my recruiter. I can do it whenever I want.

It's a big, as in humooooongus beeg company. But it kinda feels like a "Click here for live chat" kinda thing.
Sounds sketchy. You're sure it's not a video dating site or a terrorist recruitment thing or something?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i keep getting email invitation to submit my music videos to the Berlin Music Video Awards.
Which I guess is an honour, except I have never made a music video.

part of me wants to film Mayzie scratching at her bed for three minutes while I play out of tune jazz chords on the guitar to whatever tempo she selects.
I have a cheap drum machine from the 80s I can send you if it will help you win a golden trophy.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i keep getting email invitation to submit my music videos to the Berlin Music Video Awards.
Which I guess is an honour, except I have never made a music video.

part of me wants to film Mayzie scratching at her bed for three minutes while I play out of tune jazz chords on the guitar to whatever tempo she selects.
Here are some videos that could help inspire you:

Phil Thomas Katt is a legend but the gold starts at 45 seconds in

And the classic for some outfit design ideas

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I worked for two different companies in the Fortune 50. And still interact with a lot of folks from those companies this seems to be a trend per what the folks are telling me. It is essentially the "fluffer" interview to see if they want to have you interview with a person or group of people. With the job market so competitive they want to get as many people in but don't have the man power to interview them all.

Amazon is a little different they make you do a test and depending on your grade. Then go to a phone interview and from there a panel interview with a presentation depending on the position you are interviewing for.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been wondering about a job interview I had today. It was a video interview with one person. 15 minutes in another joined and the first dropped out. 15 minutes later another person joined and the 2nd dropped off. Then the last half hour was just with that person.
So is there any chance all three were watching the entire time?

Not that it matters, just something I thought about.

Although I did say to the 3rd guy, "boy those two seem like real assholes".

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worked for two different companies in the Fortune 50. And still interact with a lot of folks from those companies this seems to be a trend per what the folks are telling me. It is essentially the "fluffer" interview to see if they want to have you interview with a person or group of people. With the job market so competitive they want to get as many people in but don't have the man power to interview them all.

Amazon is a little different they make you do a test and depending on your grade. Then go to a phone interview and from there a panel interview with a presentation depending on the position you are interviewing for.
Kinda what I thought it was to try and get as many people through as possible, but it feels kind of impersonal. In technology, particularly in security it's a buyer's market for candidates.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda what I thought it was to try and get as many people through as possible, but it feels kind of impersonal. In technology, particularly in security it's a buyer's market for candidates.
In IT in general it is a huge buyer's market right now. I got a random pay bump in November and the reasoning to "keep employees and stay competitive in the market".

But I do agree it is very impersonal. Part of the reasoning, as per what was conveyed to me, this is more for younger talent and focusing more on how people might work in the future with less face to face interaction. And with more interaction over social media and other communications tools. Part of it is they want to see how you answer the questions, react and can be concise w/o knowing the real reaction of the audience.

The best comparison I can take from this, it is almost like a Sales RFP.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In IT in general it is a huge buyer's market right now. I got a random pay bump in November and the reasoning to "keep employees and stay competitive in the market".

But I do agree it is very impersonal. Part of the reasoning, as per what was conveyed to me, this is more for younger talent and focusing more on how people might work in the future with less face to face interaction. And with more interaction over social media and other communications tools. Part of it is they want to see how you answer the questions, react and can be concise w/o knowing the real reaction of the audience.

The best comparison I can take from this, it is almost like a Sales RFP.
The comparison I said to my wife last night was it's like "Live chatting" with a bot. :)

The company I work for is about to learn a very painful lesson on the IT and infosec market. No one in the company got more than 2% merit increase because "times are tough". Even my highly specialized discipline is spoiled for choice. I know 4 people who already bailed. We found out about the raises last Thursday.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The comparison I said to my wife last night was it's like "Live chatting" with a bot. :)

The company I work for is about to learn a very painful lesson on the IT and infosec market. No one in the company got more than 2% merit increase because "times are tough". Even my highly specialized discipline is spoiled for choice. I know 4 people who already bailed. We found out about the raises last Thursday.
LOL...that is a perfect example.

So true on the later. One of those "fortune 50" companies I worked for prior to, they are hemorrhaging talent because of the same reason you stated "times are tough" even though they had record revenues.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a lot of interest and multiple interviews and 2nd interviews last summer then nothing recently. I even got turned down from a few places I did not even apply to.
Now yesterday 2nd interview with a place, and just now an HR person from another place set up a video interview for next week.
Weird.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a lot of interest and multiple interviews and 2nd interviews last summer then nothing recently. I even got turned down from a few places I did not even apply to.
Now yesterday 2nd interview with a place, and just now an HR person from another place set up a video interview for next week.
Weird.

Sounds promising - On the video interview, try not to use the following.

200w.gif

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds promising - On the video interview, try not to use the following.

200w.gif
We joke around a lot, and its fine, but in all seriousness I wouldnt do anything like that in an interview. Thats wrong "in today's climate".

Usually what I do is tell them the beginning a of a good joke, often an ethnic joke, then tell them if they want to hear the rest I will tell them on my first day on the job.

Yesterday's interview joke:

You like NICIS LA? Of course you do! Anyways, Chris O'Donnell, LL Cool J, Linda Hunt, and a talking parrot walk into a sex shoppe.....

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had an online interview a couple months ago with a site called Only Fans. I was excited to have a job opportunity working in sports, so I took a chance and wore a hockey jersey during the interview. The interviewer was pleased and complimented me on it.

But once the interview started, I found there were very few questions that seemed directed at me and my experience. She kept asking questions about herself like "Do you mind if I lie down?" or "Do you want me to talk like a baby?" I think she wasn't used to the online interview experience.

She laid down on a bed and asked further questions, but I had to cancel the interview. She seemed like she had some kind of rash because she was constantly itching herself on camera. I thought it wasn't professional and decided I didn't want to work in a place like that.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had an online interview a couple months ago with a site called Only Fans. I was excited to have a job opportunity working in sports, so I took a chance and wore a hockey jersey during the interview. The interviewer was pleased and complimented me on it.

But once the interview started, I found there were very few questions that seemed directed at me and my experience. She kept asking questions about herself like "Do you mind if I lie down?" or "Do you want me to talk like a baby?" I think she wasn't used to the online interview experience.

She laid down on a bed and asked further questions, but I had to cancel the interview. She seemed like she had some kind of rash because she was constantly itching herself on camera. I thought it wasn't professional and decided I didn't want to work in a place like that.

You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note about online interviews you won't have to worry about the interviewer tasting ketchup and onions.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RIP....I remember her on Wings.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RIP....I remember her on Wings.

54 is way way way too young...and as always, eff cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.