• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bullshitting at the Barbershop

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
52 years ago, a young doctor who had finished medical school left Pakistan to come to America to find his dreams. He was assigned to the NeoNatal Intensive Care unit at a big hospital in Baltimore. He was quickly befriended by the nurse manager at that hospital, my Aunt. Since he didn't know anyone, she adopted him. He started coming to family events like Thanksgiving and such. He eventually started his own family, but always stayed in close contact with ours. He was always around. Summer vacations to Ocean City with condos next door to each other. His kids were babysat by my cousins. There was never a time when he wasn't a part our lives. His kids became some of my first friends. Many times, I saw the racism they all faced but I just knew people I respected and cared for. Doc is and always has been someone I looked up to. Always calm. Always measured. Always someone you could rely on. Like when my aunt called him one time at 7pm because I had stumbled into a hornet's nest. He left a dinner to drive 45 minutes to meet us at the hospital to make sure I was okay. Things just always felt right when he came around. He and my aunt were two peas in a pod.

While talking with him and other family I told the story of when my wife and I were at the hospital when she went into labo(u)r a month and a half early for my son. We were in the room, panicking a bit, when the door opened. A small doctor sheepishly said that he was in the wrong room. Once he realized it was me, he looked at the chart, comforted my wife and said he would be back. He went to check on the newborn he had come to see and came back and stayed with us until my son was born. 24 hours later. I told him how much his calm, and reassuring demeanor meant to us. Ever the humble man he smiled and just said it was a stroke of good fortune that he walked in the wrong room that day. I always wanted to be someone as unflappable as him. As my Aunt.

He tried to deliver the eulogy on Monday, and he broke down. This is a man who spent his professional career dealing with sick and dying children. And he couldn't get out the words to say goodbye to my Aunt. One thing he said is that if you live your life the right way, you never have to worry about death. You will live forever, because others will always tell your story for you.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing he said is that if you live your life the right way, you never have to worry about death. You will live forever, because others will always tell your story for you.
Thank you for keeping her alive, 43.

It has inspired me to tell the story of my cousin...but no one does it better than she did herself. She also published memoirs for sale on Amazon.

This blog post from her is a two-fer. An insight into my cousin and a tribute to my grandfather.

RIP Michele, 6/23/2020, and Grandpap, 3/2/2004

Last edited:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you for keeping her alive, 43.

It has inspired me to tell the story of my cousin...but no one does it better than she did herself. She also published memoirs for sale on Amazon.

This blog post from her is a two-fer. An insight into my cousin and a tribute to my grandfather.

RIP Michele, 6/23/2020, and Grandpap, 3/2/2004

It's unusually dusty this time of year.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Up until then it had only been Adult Video stores? :D
My era was more the download cancer into your dad’s PC to get a one minute clip but yes.

/also after browsing the acct for Rouge Park there is apparently a lot of beaver in Toronto’s East End.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss my father. He loved Christmas so much. As of tomorrow morning he will have been gone for 3 years.

But here right now I am laughing about how quickly he could take a nice freshly imaged pc and get it infected with some horrible pron virus. He'd claim he didn't go to any of "those sites" but when I would fix it there would be some weird Czech or other eastern European pron on it.

A child should not have to talk to a parent about pron. :)

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss my father. He loved Christmas so much. As of tomorrow morning he will have been gone for 3 years.

But here right now I am laughing about how quickly he could take a nice freshly imaged pc and get it infected with some horrible pron virus. He'd claim he didn't go to any of "those sites" but when I would fix it there would be some weird Czech or other eastern European pron on it.

It was a little over four years ago that my dad passed away. I just talked with my mom and wished her a Merry Christmas, but I could tell that she's not doing that great today. I wish I could be with her, but COVID-19 has put that on hold. Maybe late spring or early summer in 2021.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the fact that I had personally not done any Christmas shopping until yesterday (Mrs 43 did pretty much all our shopping on Amazon, with a bulk of it in the car on the way to Md last week), Christmas was pretty successful.

Hope everyone has a quiet, peaceful and relaxing holiday today. Take a minute to give an extra hug to those who are with you.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hope he lived a long life.

My old man is about as computer illiterate as it gets but I’ll never forget the time I started entering something in the address bar and a bunch of those sites came up from the history log earlier that morning, knowing my dad was the only one up that early :pound: Reassuring knowing I wasn’t the only sicko in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.