• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bullshitting at the Barbershop

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am currently at the inlaws house.

Pity me.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shouldn't that go in the fucking nuts thread?

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been sorting my sports cards as a project.
Been collecting since I was 5?

My brother sent me this text

Screenshot_20200926-121054_Messages.jpg

My mom's knowledge of Sports teams amazes my sometimes

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pOxseisMHK40xNOWAxkEN7W42sw=.gif

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's telling that 4 of these 5 regions are pretty suburban in nature, two of them being direct escapes from the GTA in Niagara and Guelph.

I was surprised that Victoria wasn't on the list, although maybe I shouldn't be because housing prices in Victoria are through the roof.

/Get it? Housing prices through the roof? Oh, the good times we have here.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surprised that Victoria wasn't on the list, although maybe I shouldn't be because housing prices in Victoria are through the roof.

/Get it? Housing prices through the roof? Oh, the good times we have here.
Yeah, the common denominator those five markets (even Montreal) have is they all have ample single-family dwellings available or being built for relatively low cost compared to the major markets and have plenty of room to sprawl.

If what we're going through here is a re-suburbanization it's going to be much harder to greenify our lifestyles - car use is going to rise exponentially and people are going to start demanding more roadways and highways instead of expensive transit that nobody wants to ride.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the common denominator those five markets (even Montreal) have is they all have ample single-family dwellings available or being built for relatively low cost compared to the major markets and have plenty of room to sprawl.

If what we're going through here is a re-suburbanization it's going to be much harder to greenify our lifestyles - car use is going to rise exponentially and people are going to start demanding more roadways and highways instead of expensive transit that nobody wants to ride.
I think this is going to be a huge side effect of Covid that we may not fully realize for a few years at least.

In Charlotte for example, the population growth has been exponential (~65% in the city and 100% in the metro in the 17 years I've been here). Despite that, there have been several articles during the pandemic about increased rates of relocation of people coming from NYC, SF, etc. They have cited the combination of people looking to get to less dense areas plus the increased flexibility for relocating with the generous work from home policies some major companies are implementing - in addition to the longstanding cost of living factors.

We're relatively unconstrained by geographic barriers (a couple of small man-made lakes and an easily bridged non-navigable river) so we're already a sprawl city. We have a pathetic public transit system and the most overcrowded roads in any SE city not named Atlanta. We also have one of the worst parks systems and consistently rank as one of the least walkable/bikeable cities in America.

The city is already crumbling under the weight of its own growth, including years of poor planning, idiotic state laws that keep Charlotte from being able to act in its own best interest, and virtually no limits on developers. The next decade is going to be a blast.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is going to be a huge side effect of Covid that we may not fully realize for a few years at least.

In Charlotte for example, the population growth has been exponential (~65% in the city and 100% in the metro in the 17 years I've been here). Despite that, there have been several articles during the pandemic about increased rates of relocation of people coming from NYC, SF, etc. They have cited the combination of people looking to get to less dense areas plus the increased flexibility for relocating with the generous work from home policies some major companies are implementing - in addition to the longstanding cost of living factors.

We're relatively unconstrained by geographic barriers (a couple of small man-made lakes and an easily bridged non-navigable river) so we're already a sprawl city. We have a pathetic public transit system and the most overcrowded roads in any SE city not named Atlanta. We also have one of the worst parks systems and consistently rank as one of the least walkable/bikeable cities in America.

The city is already crumbling under the weight of its own growth, including years of poor planning, idiotic state laws that keep Charlotte from being able to act in its own best interest, and virtually no limits on developers. The next decade is going to be a blast.
I think we were already seeing a tide of people leaving some of the metros that had become pricey and crowded this century - NYC, Chicago, Boston, SF, Toronto, etc. - and head either to cheaper suburbs where possible or to new regions entirely where taxes weren't god-awful and life wasn't so costly, so yeah COVID is pouring fire on that trend.

I don't expect those cities' populations to plunge or anything, and they will still need the transit and other infrastructure required long-term, but if we're re-creating suburban demographics to mix more of the former city-dweller than was previously found there it's going to be fascinating to see how this winds up shaping the future of politics and policy, especially when it comes to big-ticket items like infrastructure (and especially at a time when, like you said, so much of the existing infrastructure is falling apart as is).

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what killed where I grew up. It was named a great small town, so hundreds of thousands of people moved there and crushed it. We had to leave because it stopped being that place we liked. I just hope that the place I came to avoids it for a while. Unfortunately it seems a lot of Chicago companies are starting to see us as remote suburb. Population is rising rapidly.

Across the lake in SC, my sister used to live in an area I would call rural. Pretty much nothing past T-Bones on the lake. Now, when we visit it feels like Long Island. People EVERYWHERE. She hasn't moved.
I think we were already seeing a tide of people leaving some of the metros that had become pricey and crowded this century - NYC, Chicago, Boston, SF, Toronto, etc. - and head either to cheaper suburbs where possible or to new regions entirely where taxes weren't god-awful and life wasn't so costly, so yeah COVID is pouring fire on that trend.

I don't expect those cities' populations to plunge or anything, and they will still need the transit and other infrastructure required long-term, but if we're re-creating suburban demographics to mix more of the former city-dweller than was previously found there it's going to be fascinating to see how this winds up shaping the future of politics and policy, especially when it comes to big-ticket items like infrastructure (and especially at a time when, like you said, so much of the existing infrastructure is falling apart as is).
I just interviewed for a job based in London UK. But I can stay here and travel there quarterly. Remote work trial by fire has been a success for companies. And they'd be able to pay me less to live here and work than they would to move me to London.

Giving serious thought to where exactly I want to live. Stay here or find someplace better.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speaking anecdotally, in my office of approximately 25 people, none are originally from Charlotte. Of those, some 25% are transfers from one of our other offices, all high cost areas. Another ~50% were in the industry in a city other than Charlotte but moved to Charlotte prior to joining our company, mostly those same large cities. Most of them moved to Charlotte when they started having kids.

When people ask me about moving here I tell them that Charlotte will never qualify as a cultural capital. It's really something of a soulless city with manufactured "neighborhoods" where we force non-organic names on the areas to try to make them sound like NYC or London. For example, "that shitty section of South Blvd." became "Lower South End" (it's several miles removed from South End, so the naming is nonsensical to start with), which became "LoSo" when developers stared pushing it in construction sales pitches. Our music, theater, arts, and restaurant scenes (pre-Covid of course) are mediocre at best.

But if what you value is cost of living and being able to have a little space from your neighbors, while also having a city with a strong economy, easy access to more exciting places (two hours to Asheville, three to the Smokies, four to the ocean or Atlanta, plus one of the busiest airports in America), it's a good place.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if what you value is cost of living and being able to have a little space from your neighbors, while also having a city with a strong economy, easy access to more exciting places (two hours to Asheville, three to the Smokies, four to the ocean or Atlanta, plus one of the busiest airports in America), it's a good place.
^This is exactly why I am in Columbus. Not terribly long drives to Chicago or Toronto, easy access to Western Ontario, The pretty side of Michigan, the lakes, Western PA/MD mountains. The longest I have ever taken to get through Airport Security is 10 minutes. Hour flight to DC/NYC. 2-3 to Florida. And for 60 grand less, my house here had 6 rooms the one I left didn't.

Just wish I was closer to the ocean. That drive sucks.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what killed where I grew up. It was named a great small town, so hundreds of thousands of people moved there and crushed it. We had to leave because it stopped being that place we liked. I just hope that the place I came to avoids it for a while. Unfortunately it seems a lot of Chicago companies are starting to see us as remote suburb. Population is rising rapidly.

Across the lake in SC, my sister used to live in an area I would call rural. Pretty much nothing past T-Bones on the lake. Now, when we visit it feels like Long Island. People EVERYWHERE. She hasn't moved.

I just interviewed for a job based in London UK. But I can stay here and travel there quarterly. Remote work trial by fire has been a success for companies. And they'd be able to pay me less to live here and work than they would to move me to London.

Giving serious thought to where exactly I want to live. Stay here or find someplace better.
I know the general vicinity you're referring to. Can't stand it personally because it's now so milquetoast because it was all planned, non-organic growth.

I think Covid is also going to produce a remote work over-correction. Companies are going to allow too many remote workers and realize it doesn't work as well for their industry and it's going to swing back, but probably not to pre-Covid levels.

I think a lot of companies are also going to get into trouble for things like tax compliance for not appropriately knowing where their remote employees live.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^This is exactly why I am in Columbus. Not terribly long drives to Chicago or Toronto, easy access to Western Ontario, The pretty side of Michigan, the lakes, Western PA/MD mountains. The longest I have ever taken to get through Airport Security is 10 minutes. Hour flight to DC/NYC. 2-3 to Florida. And for 60 grand less, my house here had 6 rooms the one I left didn't.

Just wish I was closer to the ocean. That drive sucks.
That's the great thing (no pun intended) about the Great Lakes areas. They may as well be oceans for most things. Less the sharks, jellyfish, hurricanes, and Floridians.

Status
Not open for further replies.