• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Orakpo Signs Franchise Tag Tender

bworku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what does this mean? Do we still have the ability to sign him long term before the season starts or are we stuck with this number as of now?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what does this mean? Do we still have the ability to sign him long term before the season starts or are we stuck with this number as of now?

what it means is , yes we can sign him long term. it also means he can participate in the off season work out program,Ota's , mini camps and TC .

it is a good faith gesture by Rak to sign it and it should be remembered by fans and the FO

he is a guy we should keep around :suds:

Freeforall

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the Skins have until July to sign Orakpo to a long-term deal, if not he plays on the fully guaranteed 1-yr $11.455 million for the season.

bworku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it. Thanks guys. Hopefully both sides come to a position they can both agree on.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it. Thanks guys. Hopefully both sides come to a position they can both agree on.

i think the FO wants to wait till next off season because of the cap situation

i think by rak signing it way early says they are on the same page

bworku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But couldn't they potentially get a deal done now that would both please Rak and bring our cap number down for this year? Or is impossible for both to come out happy this offseason?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But couldn't they potentially get a deal done now that would both please Rak and bring our cap number down for this year? Or is impossible for both to come out happy this offseason?

i dont think they can

i think rak is helping the team out till next season .

if he plays well and stays healthy he should get what he wants

Freeforall

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think of it as what Jay said this past week at the Owners meeting, "I wouldn't mind letting him play out this franchise tag and see what happens, He's a talented player. I think he can do a little better, we can ask more of him to where he could be more productive". Orakpo has the ability to be much better than he is, yet for at least 3 years now us fans have waited for him to start developing a patented move to get to the qb instead of his usual bull rush. Prove to everyone that you're elite. Give us a 15 or more sack season. Play a full 16 game season

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a double edged sword. If he has the kind of year everyone wants, then next ear this time his agent will likely be asking for Clay Matthews kind of money. If he has the type of year he normally has, good but not great many will say we over paid him on the tag and we wont sign him long term or tag him next year. Remember guys, the majority of the players who play under the one year tag, are playing their last season with the team in question.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing is certain, if the one year tender stays, Washington will be at least $11.455 million dollars under the cap. I see no reason for Rak to sign a long term deal until we're close to the end of the up-coming season. Most of the money would have been deposited, his value established, and the interest of both he and the team made clear.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think of it as what Jay said this past week at the Owners meeting, "I wouldn't mind letting him play out this franchise tag and see what happens, He's a talented player. I think he can do a little better, we can ask more of him to where he could be more productive". Orakpo has the ability to be much better than he is, yet for at least 3 years now us fans have waited for him to start developing a patented move to get to the qb instead of his usual bull rush. Prove to everyone that you're elite. Give us a 15 or more sack season. Play a full 16 game season

:agree: for now it serves both sides. Orakpo makes a lot of money for one year and if he produces the Skins either ante up or let him go. He needs to make plays against good teams. Against the NFC East he is good not great.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing is certain, if the one year tender stays, Washington will be at least $11.455 million dollars under the cap. I see no reason for Rak to sign a long term deal until we're close to the end of the up-coming season. Most of the money would have been deposited, his value established, and the interest of both he and the team made clear.

If a long term deal isnt done by mid July, we can't do one with him until next off season any way. We couldnt even do a long term deal mid season at that point. So its either long term deal in the next 3.5 months, or he plays on the tag.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing I like about this is if orackpo signs a long term deal that would be good. Point number 2 if sackpo sucks we can cut ties get 11 mill in cap space plus the projected cap is going up next year at least by 7 mill so I'm thinking if rack gets cut and cap space goes up we would have 17 mill plus what ever else. is this right shark? ( since your the cap guy in here)

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, the fact that the cap is expected to go up next season is more reason to sign him now. If the cap goes up, FAs will be expected to eat a larger sum of that money. A contract we can sign now at say 11 mil/season will be 13 mil next season.

bworku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, the fact that the cap is expected to go up next season is more reason to sign him now. If the cap goes up, FAs will be expected to eat a larger sum of that money. A contract we can sign now at say 11 mil/season will be 13 mil next season.

This. It won't mean we can get more quality players. It will mean getting quality players will cost more money. Best for us if there is a jump that big in the cap is to sign him long term now....and hope he pans out. It's a gamble either way unfortunately. I'm not sure you can blame them for taking either direction.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think players are worth what ever a team is willing to pay example I think ryan clark is worth base salary but the cowboys think clark is worth 3 mill a year I'm just saying this is hypeathecal.

bworku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think players are worth what ever a team is willing to pay example I think ryan clark is worth base salary but the cowboys think clark is worth 3 mill a year I'm just saying this is hypeathecal.

So Albert Haynesworth was worth 100mil?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Albert Haynesworth was worth 100mil?

If you sign a guy to that kind of deal and he doesnt produce, that is partly on coaching as well. All Haynesworth ever wanted to do was rush the passer. So to a degree not having him do that was a failure. Was he worth that deal?? No. Was he even more devalued when we switched to a 3-4 yes. He had an OK year for us year one, year two was a complete and utter waste.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haynesworth did have medical conditon that made his muscle weaker