• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Options at 31; best to worst

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Here's what I'd like to see happen:

1. Trade for a 1st rounder in 2014 and either a late 2nd or early 3rd plus another pick (I'd also be ok with a trade down for 2013 picks).

2. Carradine

3. Hankins (even though I like Hankins more than Carradine; but Tank's rated higher & can't be had in the mid-2nd IMO).

4. Tyler Eifert (probably won't be there)

5. Jarvis Jones

5. Trade up to late teens for Cooper / Warmack one is there.

6. Eric Reid

What options do you like?

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No plan B?

1. Trade for a 1st rounder in 2014 and either a late 2nd or early 3rd plus another pick (I'd also be ok with a trade down for 2013 picks).

2. Carradine

3. Cyprien

4. D.J. Hayden

5. Tyler Eifert (probably won't be there)

5. Jarvis Jones

Sorry I should have quoted you in my reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

2. Carradine

3. Hankins (even though I like Hankins more than Carradine; but Tank's rated higher & can't be had in the mid-2nd IMO).

5. Jarvis Jones

6. Eric Reid

I want to avoid S with this pick and pack a punch with value. I don't think Jarvis Jones will slide this much. He's a wildcard, but see a lot of smokescreen with this fast slide one week ahead of the draft.

I'd go with:
1. Eifert. Just too much value. He should be taken in top 20-25. If he does fall this far (which I could see happen), I scrap everything and grab him. He will be used... a lot so I don't even worry about it.
2. Trade out for really good value (equivalent to 1st next year plus really good change).
3. Carradine - Great value for the long run. He's really the perfect type of player with mid-first talent who fell because of injury.
4. D. Jones - Would fit our system so nice. DE is where a ton of value should be here.
5. Hopkins - Like this guy enough to burn another 1st on WR pick on him even after grabbing Boldin. This instantly weights our WR's from finess to sheer aggression. This would be bad news for AJ.

A wildcard player that I could see us taking is S. Williams

I personally do not want to see a trade up. Maybe a few spots. Would much rather combine picks for big moves in the mid-2nd and third rounds.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst case I have heard... trading up to get Kenny Vaccaro... Just an absolute waste IMO. Plus I'm not a fan of his at all.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Worst case I have heard... trading up to get Kenny Vaccaro... Just an absolute waste IMO. Plus I'm not a fan of his at all.

Right there with ya on that one.

I want to avoid S with this pick and pack a punch with value. I don't think Jarvis Jones will slide this much. He's a wildcard, but see a lot of smokescreen with this fast slide one week ahead of the draft.

I'd go with:
1. Eifert. Just too much value. He should be taken in top 20-25. If he does fall this far (which I could see happen), I scrap everything and grab him. He will be used... a lot so I don't even worry about it.

I don't expect Jones to be there, but I also would not be surprised if he slides all the way to the 40's. If there's one guy who could slide like 30 spots lower than he's expected it's Jones IMO.

I like your thinking on Eifert. I would MUCH rather have a red zone threat like him than another WR. Priority #1 for the offense needs to be keeping the running game strong IMO. The running game is going to benefit a lot from (1) having 2 TEs on the field to block and (2) having 2 receiving TEs to keep whoever's covering them off the line of scrimmage.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Right there with ya on that one.

I don't expect Jones to be there, but I also would not be surprised if he slides all the way to the 40's. If there's one guy who could slide like 30 spots lower than he's expected it's Jones IMO.

I like your thinking on Eifert. I would MUCH rather have a red zone threat like him than another WR. Priority #1 for the offense needs to be keeping the running game strong IMO. The running game is going to benefit a lot from (1) having 2 TEs on the field to block and (2) having 2 receiving TEs to keep whoever's covering them off the line of scrimmage.

Last year I was completely on board if we wanted to go with Fleener and a lot of people just didn't understand it. I just heard the same blanket comment that it was a waste because of VD. Fleener may not have torn everything up in our system but I fully disagree with the mentality that you shouldn't draft a another TE early just because we have Davis out there. It will probably get to the point pretty soon that these guys are looked at like 1st Rd pass rushers because the really good ones can change the game so much in a two TE sets.

This is the main benefit of having two great TE's - you can run at will. Most teams don't even have one player that they can leave on VD. I think that was a big reason why Crabtree and Walker were open down the stretch because teams had to account for Davis with Kaep back there. Throw in Eifert and it really compounds the problems and opens up the run.

If we grabbed him, he would be used more than any other offensive rookie player that I can think of, unless it was a center who won the job. And newsflash just so we're clear: Eifert is a way better TE prospect than Fleener.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I wanted a TE too, but I thought Dwaaaaaaaaaaaayne! Allen was the best TE in the draft. I was screaming for the Niners to take him, but I was happy with Lamichael James.

But you're right about having 2 good TEs; there's a reason the Colts' first 2 picks after getting Luck were TEs. I thought that 2012 Colts' draft was gonna go down as one of the all-time greats (partially because of my man-crush on Josh Chapman).

If the Niners can't get Eifert, I'm actually hoping Harbaugh colours outside the lines & takes Terron Armstead to play the jumbo TE position. He's even agile enough to line up in the backfield. I'd rather have a guy like Eifert who is open even if he's not open (because of his amazing ball skills / height / arm length), but it would be nice to have by far the best blocking TE in the NFL whom defenses couldn't just ignore as a receiving threat.

And I love Chris Gragg as a late-round prospect. I like him more than I liked Miachel Egnew last year, and I liked Egnew a alot.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Trade back to get another 2nd and a pick next year
2) Hunter
3) Cyprien
4) Datone Jones
5) Patterson
6) trade to Raiders or Jags for next years first

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year I was completely on board if we wanted to go with Fleener and a lot of people just didn't understand it. I just heard the same blanket comment that it was a waste because of VD. Fleener may not have torn everything up in our system but I fully disagree with the mentality that you shouldn't draft a another TE early just because we have Davis out there. It will probably get to the point pretty soon that these guys are looked at like 1st Rd pass rushers because the really good ones can change the game so much in a two TE sets.

This is the main benefit of having two great TE's - you can run at will. Most teams don't even have one player that they can leave on VD. I think that was a big reason why Crabtree and Walker were open down the stretch because teams had to account for Davis with Kaep back there. Throw in Eifert and it really compounds the problems and opens up the run.

If we grabbed him, he would be used more than any other offensive rookie player that I can think of, unless it was a center who won the job. And newsflash just so we're clear: Eifert is a way better TE prospect than Fleener.

I feel teams had to account for Davis with both our QBs. He seemed to be a constant, between the QBs, though he had his ups and downs last year. Unless you mean deeper passes than Smith normally threw. Davis seemed the one exception where I wouldn't question the ability to get the ball to consistently (just deeper and better quality with Kaep). Smith's farther passes were to him too, though not as deep as Kaep can.

My point is, I feel Crabs and Walker were open for several reasons, one being VD, but that was a constant with either QB. The other reasons that weren't constants, was the QBs willingness to take shots that we didn't have with Smith, the velocity he had in getting the ball there at the right time that Smith didn't have, and the threat he posed for the running game that was stronger than Smith's.

VD was big in Kaep's first game, where it seemed like Kaep was playing with house money. When it got to the playoffs, it came back. I feel this has something to do with Roman's idea of fooling the opponents. He went away from the pistol to confuse the Pack so why not away from Davis for a bit... you know so long as you can win with other strengths. First Rams game doesn't count as that was when he was in relief. Second, well, we should have won that one and Seattle wasn't ever close. Just my opinion.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
1) Trade back to get another 2nd and a pick next year
2) Hunter
3) Cyprien
4) Datone Jones
5) Patterson
6) trade to Raiders or Jags for next years first

lol.. for a second I thought you were drafting at our picks.. I was gonna say, NO WAY D. Jones falls to the 3rd round!! haha.. Well maybe according to Gil Brandtdndndtndt...

Personally, I would go...

1. Datone Jones
2. Desmond Trufant(no way he makes it out of the top 15 IMO)
3. I personally don't really want to trade down out of 31 due to the new rookie contract status. With the 31st pick we have the 4 yr with a 5th yr team option, vs we go to the 2nd round(34) we have a 3 yr, with a team 4th yr I believe. I would much rather see us move 34 for a first next year and a 3rd this year. Buf comes to mind as a potential partner(allows them to keep their 2nd this yr)
4. I honestly havent had much time to really look in depth at many other prospects, but I wouldn't mind from others p.o.v., Cyprien/Slay(Reid at 61 hopefully)

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft at 31 in this order Patterson, Tank, Hopkins, Hunter, Jones, Hayden, Banks or Slay.

Fall back:
A trade down to the top half of the second.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I feel teams had to account for Davis with both our QBs. He seemed to be a constant, between the QBs, though he had his ups and downs last year. Unless you mean deeper passes than Smith normally threw. Davis seemed the one exception where I wouldn't question the ability to get the ball to consistently (just deeper and better quality with Kaep). Smith's farther passes were to him too, though not as deep as Kaep can.

My point is, I feel Crabs and Walker were open for several reasons, one being VD, but that was a constant with either QB. The other reasons that weren't constants, was the QBs willingness to take shots that we didn't have with Smith, the velocity he had in getting the ball there at the right time that Smith didn't have, and the threat he posed for the running game that was stronger than Smith's.

VD was big in Kaep's first game, where it seemed like Kaep was playing with house money. When it got to the playoffs, it came back. I feel this has something to do with Roman's idea of fooling the opponents. He went away from the pistol to confuse the Pack so why not away from Davis for a bit... you know so long as you can win with other strengths. First Rams game doesn't count as that was when he was in relief. Second, well, we should have won that one and Seattle wasn't ever close. Just my opinion.

Kaep doesn't have that many games under him yet, but defenses are way more on their heels with Kaep back there with his ability to buy time and make the aggressive throws and big runs. And that's where Davis can really scare you in a mis-match, which helps open things up for the receivers. Davis was a go to guy for Alex Smith to make safer passes, where Kaep really wanted to use him as a weapon when he first got in there (but couldn't quite connect).

With Alex Smith out there teams could manage Davis, and focus on the intermediate routes for the WR's. Kaep opens things up because he's a lot more unpredictable. Also, when you have to account for his legs, you just can't take VD away and the receivers. My point is that if it were just another TE running around, defenses would just shade help to Crabtree.

It put defenses in a position where they would try to account for Kaep running, focus on VD, and leave the WR's one on one. Then that's when he really started locking onto Crabtree.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Does anyone think we'll do some crazy mystery pick again like last year? And Aldon kind of came out of nowhere too.

If Patterson fell, I'd be okay but I have to think some team will get really greedy in this draft a lot earlier.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

2. Carradine

5. Jarvis Jones

6. Eric Reid

i like option 5 first cause Jones is a pass rusher, no one player helps a D more than a rusher. even if he's a situational rusher this season, i'd still draft him first. this is in the context of today's passing trend, and continued trend.

next, i'll go with option 2 which strenthens the DL. good defenses start up front.

prefer we not trade #31 into 2014, not adamant about it, but prefer we don't. don't see us trading a 1st for a 1st anyway?

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 Jonathan Cyprien

#2 Datone Jones

#3 Trade down into top half of 2nd round

#4 Desmond Trufant

#5 Trade up into the mid 20s for a guy who was expected to go higher (Jarvis Jones, Mingo, etc.)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep doesn't have that many games under him yet, but defenses are way more on their heels with Kaep back there with his ability to buy time and make the aggressive throws and big runs. And that's where Davis can really scare you in a mis-match, which helps open things up for the receivers. Davis was a go to guy for Alex Smith to make safer passes, where Kaep really wanted to use him as a weapon when he first got in there (but couldn't quite connect).

With Alex Smith out there teams could manage Davis, and focus on the intermediate routes for the WR's. Kaep opens things up because he's a lot more unpredictable. Also, when you have to account for his legs, you just can't take VD away and the receivers. My point is that if it were just another TE running around, defenses would just shade help to Crabtree.

It put defenses in a position where they would try to account for Kaep running, focus on VD, and leave the WR's one on one. Then that's when he really started locking onto Crabtree.

True. I guess my thought was just that Kaep opened it up for everybody including Davis, so I didn't isolate him, and Davis was a reliable target, one both QBs would throw to on their relative deeper passes, too, so I didn't isolate either QB, either. It is evident, by a wide margin, that Kaep is stronger, more willing, faster, better, and a bigger threat than our former QB.

Thank you for having a civil discussion with me and not just accusing me of homerism for our previous QB. I was not trying to say he was better at anything, even getting the ball to Davis.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Trade up into the early 20's for Sheldon Richardson if he was still there
2) Trade up into the early 20's for Kenny Vaccaro if he was still there
3) Tank Carradine
4) Keenan Allen
5) Datone Jones
6) Jarvis Jones
7) Jesse Williams
8) Jonathan Cyprien
9) Eric Reid

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eifert would be shocking at this point. teams have too much time to watch tape and i can't see 30 picks going by without him getting taken. notre dame had horrible qb play and mostly used eifert as a distraction by lining him up at wr.

i would not be surprised if eifert breaks a lot of records at te.