• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OOC power 5 scheduling draughts

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We seriously need to just split into two divisions. The power five conferences need to be in 1 division and OOC games can only be played against one another. There's absolutely no reason for Eastern Michigan to be in the same league as Alabama -- competing for the same national title.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We seriously need to just split into two divisions. The power five conferences need to be in 1 division and OOC games can only be played against one another. There's absolutely no reason for Eastern Michigan to be in the same league as Alabama -- competing for the same national title.
thought it was more interesting that everyone on the list was in the Big 12 at some pt. No Big 10 or ACC teams.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thought it was more interesting that everyone on the list was in the Big 12 at some pt. No Big 10 or ACC teams.

I'm not sure if that's a testament to the B10 and ACC or does it show the rest of the planet has no respect. :suds:

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's A&M's excuse? They're the only team on that list that really matters...

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of them (except A&M) have understandable reasons.

9 conference games is a major reason. That extra 9th game is a power five already.

Utah has that game with BYU. While it is not technically a power 5, it is a legitimate opponent.

Kansas and Baylor were traditional doormats. They have to learn how to win before they can actually schedule tough opponents. Baylor will start doing it soon.

Colorado cannot afford to travel anywhere.....the might not be able to afford their phone bill to call anyone as well.

Nobody wants to ever go to Lubbock, Texas. It is a tough sell for scheduling.
There are so many better options if you want to put a flag in Texas recruiting with a visit.
SMU and Rice will get you easier games and better spots to visit.
You can set up a neutral game a jerryworld as well.

A&M has no reason whatsoever to schedule so poorly.

A&M doesn't really have any excuse.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of them (except A&M) have understandable reasons.

9 conference games is a major reason. That extra 9th game is a power five already.

Utah has that game with BYU. While it is not technically a power 5, it is a legitimate opponent.

Kansas and Baylor were traditional doormats. They have to learn how to win before they can actually schedule tough opponents. Baylor will start doing it soon.

Colorado cannot afford to travel anywhere.....the might not be able to afford their phone bill to call anyone as well.

Nobody wants to ever go to Lubbock, Texas. It is a tough sell for scheduling.
There are so many better options if you want to put a flag in Texas recruiting with a visit.
SMU and Rice will get you easier games and better spots to visit.
You can set up a neutral game a jerryworld as well.

A&M has no reason whatsoever to schedule so poorly.

A&M doesn't really have any excuse.

So true.............:laugh3:

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utah played Pitt in 2011 and they are in the ACC
both utah and Colorado had games set up with Pac schools prior to joining the conference.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utah played Pitt in 2011 and they are in the ACC
both utah and Colorado had games set up with Pac schools prior to joining the conference.

Pitt was Big East at the time.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitt was Big East at the time.

And the Big East was part of the Big 6. Pitt was never on the outside looking in as far as the big picture.

TheRedPlectrum

and you are?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't Utah play michigan this year? We can cross them off soon.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would agree with that except I would allow 1 (ONE) game a year against a non power 5 in OOC. If everyone had that as their wildcard game of the year then it's even and the teams that claim they do these to help smaller schools from their state financially still have that at their disposal.

I really hope we are heading toward a division at some point with a new governing model to go along with it. Let the power conferences look at more player compensation and a loosening up of the rules meant more to bring down power teams to the level of glorified community colleges.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think aTm has an excuse they have only been in the SEC two years and changing leagues has been a huge scheduling issue since games are agreed to sometimes years in advance. Doesn't excuse it completely but definitely a major factor.

Looks like they play Arizona State in 2015 and UCLA in 2016.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think aTm has an excuse they have only been in the SEC two years and changing leagues has been a huge scheduling issue since games are agreed to sometimes years in advance. Doesn't excuse it completely but definitely a major factor.

Looks like they play Arizona State in 2015 and UCLA in 2016.

Did you click the link provided? aTm hasn't played a power team in OOC since '03. A full decade of garbage play. They are the only ones on that list with that much time. Baylor is next at '09 and the rest are either '10 or '11. Colorado and Utah have better excuses both because they suck these days and have no incentive to have more give away games and their inclusion to the Pac was recent. There is literally no excuse for aTm to go a full decade without a decent OOC game. None.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not going to happen. The NCAA doesn't pick teams to be in what division, they have certain standards that have to be meet, and if they are meet then any team can be in the division.

Which I personally like because it allows up and coming teams a chance and room to grow. And personally, I don't give a crap what schedule strength teams play unless they are trying for a NC.

People who only care about the top5 conferences are basically putting all the other teams out and refusing to give them opportunity. The NCAA would be finished if they did it.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you click the link provided? aTm hasn't played a power team in OOC since '03. A full decade of garbage play. They are the only ones on that list with that much time. Baylor is next at '09 and the rest are either '10 or '11. Colorado and Utah have better excuses both because they suck these days and have no incentive to have more give away games and their inclusion to the Pac was recent. There is literally no excuse for aTm to go a full decade without a decent OOC game. None.

That's Texas Tech. aTm has not beaten a P5 team in OOC since 2004. They played Arkansas in 2011.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's Texas Tech. aTm has not beaten a P5 team in OOC since 2004. They played Arkansas in 2011.

Right, I did transpose those two. My bad.

:suds:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, I did transpose those two. My bad.

:suds:

The fact that they have not beaten a P5 team in OOC in over a decade is still really bad.

Granted Michigan State is not any better

Last edited by a moderator:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Big East was part of the Big 6. Pitt was never on the outside looking in as far as the big picture.

It says POWER 5, not 6

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It says POWER 5, not 6

The point of this exercise was to point out what teams have gone the longest without playing a team in a power conference. There are only 5 power conferences now and the big east isn't one, but it was during that time frame wasn't it?

It was more or less justifying the need to spell out a requirement for their conference members when the assumption for many is most of them have one every year anyway.

I'm sure it will come up again, but many will argue that picking Colorado as an OOC game isn't any better than shirtsvskins state.