• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doc and Pierre are talking about the fact that the game 6 officials are in for game 7 of Pens/Rangers.

They said there is an emerging school of thought that the officials should work series by series. One set of stripes per series.

Didn't want to start up the discussion in the game thread, there will be enough carnage there. But curious what everyone thinks.

I actually think it could be a very good thing. If someone is really crossing lines with cheap stuff, having the same refs for the whole series would mean that they (the refs) would know the history.

Plus if someone shows up a ref with a really cheap dive, the ref could review it after the game and keep that same player in line the next game. I think it could actually help with the consistency we all wish was happening.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doc and Pierre are talking about the fact that the game 6 officials are in for game 7 of Pens/Rangers.

They said there is an emerging school of thought that the officials should work series by series. One set of stripes per series.

Didn't want to start up the discussion in the game thread, there will be enough carnage there. But curious what everyone thinks.

I actually think it could be a very good thing. If someone is really crossing lines with cheap stuff, having the same refs for the whole series would mean that they (the refs) would know the history.

Plus if someone shows up a ref with a really cheap dive, the ref could review it after the game and keep that same player in line the next game. I think it could actually help with the consistency we all wish was happening.

That is an interesting thought - it could definitely help, the refs would know what's going on from start to finish so if any crap starts they can get rid of it quickly - however, over the course of a series, refs could tend to make more calls towards a certain team and then you start to wonder if the refs want a certain team to win - it's an interesting thought though

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Depends on the refs. If we get Kelly Sutherland for a series for example, there is no point in showing up.

I see the benefits of continuity, but frankly I don't trust the referees.
In terms of getting caught up in the emotion, and in terms of being prejudicial cocksuckers.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta be the biggest question in the NHL now would you take Kane and Toews or Crosby and Malkin as your 1-2 punch?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta be the biggest question in the NHL now would you take Kane and Toews or Crosby and Malkin as your 1-2 punch?

Kane/Toews no question - because they fit more into the playoff hockey mold - they might not put up more points than Crosby or Malkin but they do everything else well

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kane/Toews. Proven playoff performers, very rarely do 1, let alone both of them vanish at the same time. Malkin/Crosby were irrelevant this whole series, outside of 1 game each.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crosby and Malkin.

Have people already forgotten Toews's performance from last season? 3 goals, 14 points in 23 games. Only 1 goal through the first 3 rounds. And only 3 points in 6 games this series against Minny.

The difference is that Toews and Kane have the team to carry them through the rough times. No such luxury for 87/71. If they don't score, the team loses and they shoulder the blame.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crosby and Malkin.

Have people already forgotten Toews's performance from last season? 3 goals, 14 points in 23 games. Only 1 goal through the first 3 rounds. And only 3 points in 6 games this series against Minny.

The difference is that Toews and Kane have the team to carry them through the rough times. No such luxury for 87/71. If they don't score, the team loses and they shoulder the blame.

this!

insert Sharp and Hossa into Pens lineup and rephrase the question ... switch top 6 d and ask the question again

for the Pens its Crosby and Malkin and then dregs

plus id take crawford over flower

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this!

insert Sharp and Hossa into Pens lineup and rephrase the question ... switch top 6 d and ask the question again

And Quenneville over Bilesma

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this!

Neal....

And the way Pierre talks about them, last night he made Gibbons out to be some superstar.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crosby and Malkin.

I guess he gets a bit of a pass for last year since they still won the Cup. If Pittsburgh had gone on to win it all this year, people wouldn't give a shit if Crosby continued to struggle. But when you struggle in a losing effort that's viewed much differently.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The highlights for Toews in the 2011 first round against the canucks were him scoring the game tieing goal in game 7 and him saying "we're not exposing them for what they really are" ... other than that, meh

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess he gets a bit of a pass for last year since they still won the Cup. If Pittsburgh had gone on to win it all this year, people wouldn't give a shit if Crosby continued to struggle. But when you struggle in a losing effort that's viewed much differently.

This.

/All of a sudden, nobody is talking about Nash anymore because the Rangers have moved on to the ECF. That said, he does seem to be playing better in the last couple of games.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

/All of a sudden, nobody is talking about Nash anymore because the Rangers have moved on to the ECF. That said, he does seem to be playing better in the last couple of games.

Oh trust me. Ranger fans are still trashing him. Had we lost last night, blame would have went all on him. I'm still waiting for the breakout offensive game. He's getting them on goal, just from 30+ feet out and it's right at the opposing team's logo. He will find his game. Since Kreider has returned, that top line has played well.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This tweet from Gord Miller has some substance behind it:

GMillerTSN: Over the last two years, the Chicago Blackhawks are 11-0 in games 5, 6 and 7 of a playoff series.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel dirty for saying it, but do we need to start giving credit to Gary Bettman for the parity in the league?

Think about it. Except for a few minutes of outburst, the Jackets hung with the Pens. The Kings came back against a super talented team. If not for a few posts, the Bruins would have put away the Habs already. Rangers came back against the Pens, and the Wild gave the champs a run for their money *with* a backup goalie. Even the "sweep" was extremely competitive.

And think of the teams that didn't get there. Many of them were *very* close.

I can't remember a time when so many teams were so close to each other. I love it. Any given night, any team can win it.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This tweet from Gord Miller has some substance behind it:

GMillerTSN: Over the last two years, the Chicago Blackhawks are 11-0 in games 5, 6 and 7 of a playoff series.

So the moral of the story is, get your wins against Chicago early on(hard to do when Chicago has home ice most of the time, although this year the only way they'd have home ice anymore is if the Kings move on, which I wouldn't mind :nod:)

Status
Not open for further replies.