• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for that link comeds, that was a very good read.

I was conflicted, and admittedly I am in a bad mood today... :D I got the sense that the writer there fell into the trap of wanting so bad to be outraged by something that he looked and found it.

I guess I object to the TJ Oshie/LeBron meme thing as inherently racist. Or meant to imply that the "black athlete" is generally viewed as more egotistical.

I disagree with that. I think the meme, and most others like it (like the one with the three other sports' athletes missing time for "trivial" injuries and Peverly wanting to be put back in after dying on the bench) is solely about the perception that on average hockey players are a little more down to earth and less focused on themselves than basketball players. And the NBA is 90+ black, so unless you seek out a white player for your meme specifically... same with the NHL, it's 90+ % white, so pick any player. Let me guess what he's going to look like. In the case of that specifically, it was what each player actually said. It's not picking on race. It's picking on the mindset of two men.

I wish he'd have stayed on the point of how players like Subban have to prove they aren't a certain way and why that is a tough road to go. I think that was the more relevant point, and one that there is a great deal of truth to. It is a longer road to travel. But the way people like PK are handling it is encouraging. Iginla too. I hope it gets to the point where people address it by not addressing it.

I also think he could have laid it at the feet of the media, especially the non-hockey focused media. They often go and drag things into lowest common denominator messes in order to drive clicks.

A story headlined "PK Subban is a great player who comes up huge in huge situations" doesn't get as many clicks as one titled "PK Subban endures racist rants on the Internet equivalent of the bathroom wall".

And they wouldn't DREAM of pointing out it's an unrepresentative slice of idiots flinging things at that wall too...

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was conflicted, and admittedly I am in a bad mood today... :D I got the sense that the writer there fell into the trap of wanting so bad to be outraged by something that he looked and found it.

I guess I object to the TJ Oshie/LeBron meme thing as inherently racist. Or meant to imply that the "black athlete" is generally viewed as more egotistical.

I disagree with that. I think the meme, and most others like it (like the one with the three other sports' athletes missing time for "trivial" injuries and Peverly wanting to be put back in after dying on the bench) is solely about the perception that on average hockey players are a little more down to earth and less focused on themselves than basketball players. And the NBA is 90+ black, so unless you seek out a white player for your meme specifically... same with the NHL, it's 90+ % white, so pick any player. Let me guess what he's going to look like. In the case of that specifically, it was what each player actually said. It's not picking on race. It's picking on the mindset of two men.

I wish he'd have stayed on the point of how players like Subban have to prove they aren't a certain way and why that is a tough road to go. I think that was the more relevant point, and one that there is a great deal of truth to. It is a longer road to travel. But the way people like PK are handling it is encouraging. Iginla too. I hope it gets to the point where people address it by not addressing it.

I also think he could have laid it at the feet of the media, especially the non-hockey focused media. They often go and drag things into lowest common denominator messes in order to drive clicks.

A story headlined "PK Subban is a great player who comes up huge in huge situations" doesn't get as many clicks as one titled "PK Subban endures racist rants on the Internet equivalent of the bathroom wall".

And they wouldn't DREAM of pointing out it's an unrepresentative slice of idiots flinging things at that wall too...

Also, guys like Wayne Simmonds are doing a great job of handling things like this as well

I'm not a big fan of the memes that compare other sports, I think that's overrated and out of hand and it's unnecessary, but the gist of it is correct

Every fan base has idiots but the Bruins fans shouldn't be acting this way towards a black player when they have one of their own(P.K.'s brother in the system & Iggy as well) - also, I would think fans like the Flyers who have a pair of black players(Wayne Simmonds and Ray Emery) wouldn't be that way either

I think at the end of the day it's just about certain people not being smart enough more than anything, I think our society has gotten dumber by the day

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, guys like Wayne Simmonds are doing a great job of handling things like this as well

I'm not a big fan of the memes that compare other sports, I think that's overrated and out of hand and it's unnecessary, but the gist of it is correct

Every fan base has idiots but the Bruins fans shouldn't be acting this way towards a black player when they have one of their own(P.K.'s brother in the system & Iggy as well) - also, I would think fans like the Flyers who have a pair of black players(Wayne Simmonds and Ray Emery) wouldn't be that way either

I think at the end of the day it's just about certain people not being smart enough more than anything, I think our society has gotten dumber by the day

The memes usually make me laugh, but as with anything there is only part of the story being told. Hockey requires a crazy skill set, and the one I happen to have the most respect for. I also know that there is NO ONE in the NHL that could withstand getting hit by Patrick Willis.

Kevin Weekes is probably my favorite analyst on NHL Network (GOALIE UNION!). And I never once thought, "Damn. That's good insight from a black guy". It's good insight. Period. And Mike Milbury is a fucking moron. And if the skin colors were reversed, my feelings would not change.

Like I said, someday. Addressed by not being addressed.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess Bruin fans forget Willie O'Ree, the first black player in the NHL and he played for them.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The memes usually make me laugh, but as with anything there is only part of the story being told. Hockey requires a crazy skill set, and the one I happen to have the most respect for. I also know that there is NO ONE in the NHL that could withstand getting hit by Patrick Willis.

Kevin Weekes is probably my favorite analyst on NHL Network (GOALIE UNION!). And I never once thought, "Damn. That's good insight from a black guy". It's good insight. Period. And Mike Milbury is a fucking moron. And if the skin colors were reversed, my feelings would not change.

Like I said, someday. Addressed by not being addressed.

Would submarining his knees like a running back count? I know of one or two players (some relevant in this thread even :rollseyes:) who could handle it then.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
since were talkin race, hockey and the NBA

... Kobe is black mamba ... this guy is black lucic

BnYTTrLCAAArVer.jpg

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jesus christ

Last edited by a moderator:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Quite a soap opera now

Kyper was fed this info by don meehan and the newport sports agency

Darren dreger , who works for the leafs :nod: , is insinuating kypreos made it all up ???

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]466001213012848642[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

Probably belongs in comedy platinum thread

[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]466002482145927169[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shouldn't these posts be in the Comedy Platinum out of Toronto thread?

:D

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How they hell are they going to get Luongo now that the entire world knows what cards they are holding?

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's time for a Comedy Pyrite out of DC thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.