• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First Dick gets extended, now I'm hearing Ken Hitchcock has been extended as coach of the Blues (one year extension)

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't read his other post, then.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it will be cool to see what Hexy can do when he has the reigns.

But promote Holmgren?

I guess they did the same with Clarke and he left the team in smoldering ruins.

Paraphrasing here but a reporter asked him why in his opinion the Flyers haven't won the cup in how ever many years and he said it's hard. They were close a few times but couldn't win the big one. What he is most proud of is the winning culture. Then the good part. He said there's a team out there, not mentioning any names, who's strategy is to be bad and collect first overall picks. Ask their fans how much fun that is"

Lowe is going to need some aloe for that burn.

Last edited by a moderator:

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paraphrasing here but a reporter asked him why in his opinion the Flyers haven't won the cup in how ever many years and he said it's hard. They were close a few times but couldn't win the big one. What he is most proud of is the winning culture. Then the good part. He said there's a team out there, not mentioning any names, who's strategy is to be bad and collect first overall picks. Ask their fans how much fun that is"

Can't blame him for taking that shot. I guess he hasn't forgotten the Smyth/Fraser deal that the Kings got screwed on by Lowe.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

#TierTwo

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ghhqgQH.gif

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“My head didn’t feel great in Game 6. I said my back hurt so I didn’t have to do the 20-minute (concussion) protocol and go through that whole concussion process. I didn’t feel like going in and talking to the doctors for 20 minutes. A lot of guys were playing through things. Guys with fractured feet (rookie Ryan Murray), separated shoulders (R.J. Umberger) … (Nick) Foligno came back in 2 ½ weeks from a (knee) sprain, which is usually four to six weeks. That’s playoff hockey. It’s survival of the fittest.”

this-is-why-nhl-concussion-protocols-fail

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the NHL would crack down on hits to the head guys wouldn't have concussions and they wouldn't have to go through this

Except that you can very easily get a concussion from perfectly legal hits. The ATs need to be on their toes constantly and pull a guy if they suspect a concussion too. That's not always easy though. Sometimes you can tell, sometimes you can't. Not all concussions have signs (outwardly visible), so the impetus is on the athlete to report symptoms (inwardly visible).

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wiz was having issues before that game six hit.

Interesting that players find the "protocol" annoying and are willing to lie (and risk further injury) to avoid it. That's pretty stupid, but when the treatment feels worse than the injury, I can see the appeal. But doctors aren't completely sitting there as bystanders. Anyone who saw the hit saw his head. They know he has a history, and you would think someone with training would have taken something more than "I feel okay" as a reason to not let him back out there. Doctors should be able to identify if a player, particularly a hockey player where being a gladiator is expected, is not himself. Especially a team doctor, talking with him should have raised at least one red flag. To stand there and say "What could I do, he lied to me?" sounds like a cop-out to me.

Side note: Holy shit, Murray's foot was BROKEN?

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that you can very easily get a concussion from perfectly legal hits. The ATs need to be on their toes constantly and pull a guy if they suspect a concussion too. That's not always easy though. Sometimes you can tell, sometimes you can't. Not all concussions have signs (outwardly visible), so the impetus is on the athlete to report symptoms (inwardly visible).

There was a shot of Wiz on the bench with a far away look in his eye after the hit. I am not a doctor and I could tell his bell was rung. A guy who sees him every day should have been able to pick up on it.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wiz was having issues before that game six hit.

Interesting that players find the "protocol" annoying and are willing to lie (and risk further injury) to avoid it. That's pretty stupid, but when the treatment feels worse than the injury, I can see the appeal. But doctors aren't completely sitting there as bystanders. Anyone who saw the hit saw his head. They know he has a history, and you would think someone with training would have taken something more than "I feel okay" as a reason to not let him back out there. Doctors should be able to identify if a player, particularly a hockey player where being a gladiator is expected, is not himself. Especially a team doctor, talking with him should have raised at least one red flag. To stand there and say "What could I do, he lied to me?" sounds like a cop-out to me.

Side note: Holy shit, Murray's foot was BROKEN?

The way I see it is that as long as the doctors remain employees of the teams, that's not going to change. Despite what they will say outwardly, the pressure that the teams are putting on the doctors to get the guys back out there has to be huge, especially in a situation like Wiz.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it is that as long as the doctors remain employees of the teams, that's not going to change. Despite what they will say outwardly, the pressure that the teams are putting on the doctors to get the guys back out there has to be huge, especially in a situation like Wiz.

Reminds me of this scene from Any Given Sunday (NSFW - language)

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the end of that segment had me spit some beer lol

I know its not a great movie but man its got some pretty awesome scenes

Reminds me of this scene from Any Given Sunday (NSFW - language)

Status
Not open for further replies.