• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Radio guy said that the Red Wings have made the playoffs every year since 91. Is that correct?

Sumbitch but that's one hellacious dynasty if that is true.

23 straight years.

The last time the Red Wings weren't in the playoffs, George Bush was in office. And I don't mean W.

The last time the Red Wings weren't in the playoffs, the Super Nintendo console had not been released in the US.

The last time the Red Wings weren't in the playoffs, West and East Germany were still seperate.

The last time the Red Wings weren't in the playoffs, the show "Seinfeld" debuted.

The last time the Red Wings weren't in the playoffs, Iraq invaded Kuwait.

It's been a little while.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New NHL attendance record:

And that doesn't include the outdoor novelties. Good showing.

Last edited by a moderator:

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Flyers posted on their Facebook page today, with the text stating:

"Need to do some spring cleaning on your Facebook friend list? We suggest you start here: http://nhlflye.rs/1hNHlwy #ClutchTime"

The link takes you to a Facebook graph search, which lists any of your friends that list themselves as fans of the Rangers.

Now that's funny.

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Flyers posted on their Facebook page today, with the text stating:

"Need to do some spring cleaning on your Facebook friend list? We suggest you start here: http://nhlflye.rs/1hNHlwy #ClutchTime"

The link takes you to a Facebook graph search, which lists any of your friends that list themselves as fans of the Rangers.

Now that's funny.

A friend of mine had the same thing, except hers showed friends who liked Nickelback.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is this real? Andy MacDonald signs deal with Flyers

MacDonald’s deal is six years $30 million.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overpayment :L

Are you serious? He plays 25 minutes a night, Kimmo will be done soon so they need a guy that can help anchor the blueline and he's done a very good job with the Flyers - him and Mark Streit work very well together and the Flyers are getting him in his prime years(27-32), so this is nothing compared to some of the stupid deals that are on the market

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This deal ties MacDonald as the 21st-highest paid defenceman in the NHL...

I also don't like how this sets the bar for comparables. Thanks Homer.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It shouldn't matter what the Flyers or any other team does when it comes to another team signing a player - just because that player signed for an x amount doesn't mean another team should give it to another player - if you don't want to sign a player to that $ than don't do it

If teams were smart instead of panicking just because a guy signed a contract for an x amount of money, players wouldn't getting overpaid, but there are always teams who overpay players because they feel pressured to when in reality they don't

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

THIS!!!

This is not a good contract. As shown in Puck's post. He isn't a driver of possession. He is just not that good with the puck. He defends reasonably well when the other team has the puck but his breakout is suspect, IMO.

To me this is an overpayment.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It shouldn't matter what the Flyers or any other team does when it comes to another team signing a player - just because that player signed for an x amount doesn't mean another team should give it to another player - if you don't want to sign a player to that $ than don't do it

If teams were smart instead of panicking just because a guy signed a contract for an x amount of money, players wouldn't getting overpaid, but there are always teams who overpay players because they feel pressured to when in reality they don't

1) Market value ALWAYS matters in a capitalist system. The FA market is as pure a form of capitalism (good and bad) as you'll find.

2) Arbitration uses player contracts as comparables. GMs have no control over this other than through the contracts they hand out.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, I'll take Kris Russell over the next two years at 2.6 million per versus Andrew Macdonald at 5 million per season over the next 6 years. Granted, salaries will keep rising and the last couple of years will probably look decent, but I think a bridge contract of 2-3 years would have served the Flyers better.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Market value ALWAYS matters in a capitalist system. The FA market is as pure a form of capitalism (good and bad) as you'll find.

2) Arbitration uses player contracts as comparables. GMs have no control over this other than through the contracts they hand out.

But at the end of the day, if they want to re-sign the player, they can - if they don't then don't do it

If you think a player will need to go to arbitration, trade him and get assets back and go after someone else

Teams have been giving out stupid contracts for years because they feel pressured to sign guys when they're not - the grass isn't always greener elsewhere and it's not the end of the world if they don't sign the guy, I'd rather trade/let the guy go than to overpay him and then start bitching 3 or 4 years down the road(like David Clarkson, the Leafs screwed up badly on that, bet they're wishing they didn't do that, he's not that important of a player)

And if you're judging Andrew MacDonald in particular, based on his time on Long Island, I don't think that's completely fair - that team has been a dumpster fire for most of his time there, the Flyers are a more structured team that has better players around him, so naturally he's going to be a better player and a better fit there

To me, there are a lot more contracts in this league that are worse than his - and they're getting him in his prime years so it's worth it - if anything, the Mark Streit deal might be worse because he's older, and I really like what Mark Streit has brought to the table too

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you serious? He plays 25 minutes a night, Kimmo will be done soon so they need a guy that can help anchor the blueline and he's done a very good job with the Flyers - him and Mark Streit work very well together and the Flyers are getting him in his prime years(27-32), so this is nothing compared to some of the stupid deals that are on the market

You think he's better than McDonagh who got a cheaper deal than him?

Status
Not open for further replies.