• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part V minutes for fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
The Rangers and Capitals play again on Wednesday night - Will Bettman be in attendance and will there be any shenanigans?!?
man, you'd think NHL should suspend for one game to reduce the chances of a circus
only one thing for the rags to do now....

SlapShot7.gif

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a weird feeling but this might be a overreaction.

What if NY is looking at Criminal penalties and the NHL is quietly assisting

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man, you'd think NHL should suspend for one game to reduce the chances of a circus
only one thing for the rags to do now....

SlapShot7.gif
It’s too bad the Rangers don’t have anyone on the roster like guys from the past. Nick Fotiu, Sandy McCarthy, the Boogeyman etc...

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder who will play the Ned Braden part during the next Rangers/Capitals game?

Heard Rico Fata is available. :D

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw the game last night but didn't pay much attention once the frackus broke out. What part of the scrum are people objecting to so effusively?

Here's what I see from Wilson's part in it...
-Buchnevich flashed his skate at Vitek and the Caps didn't like it.
-Wilson punched Buchnevich in the shoulder on the ice once to send a message - he didn't do it full force or hit him in his exposed head.
-Wilson then gets tackled by one guy and fights back.
-Wilson then gets tackled by another guy and fights back.

Panarin got hurt, but he had initiated that by jumping on Wilson. I think a fine or short suspension for the punch on Buchnevich is appropriate, but I don't see much more than that once guys are flying into the pile.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a policy I've been advocating for decades that would solve all these endless debates...
Punches thrown and fighting after the whistle are not allowed and grounds for automatic and escalating suspensions.

Bright line rules create structure that make rules easier to follow. The NHL continuing to allow the "code" to govern certain aspects of the game was, is, and always will be a mistake and a failure of the game. The continuing shifting of that "code" and what is and isn't okay continues to cause these problems, injuries not during gameplay, etc. Cultural sensitivity has continued to move the goalposts on what is and isn't acceptable under the code and while we've seen fighting overall go down, I think we've also seen fighting happen over hits that aren't even dirty, going after a loose puck a second too long, etc. If the NHL is going to solve the Matt Cookes or Tom Wilsons of their league (I don't think they are in the same category, but obviously many of you do), they have to change the rules and make punching, fighting, etc a thing of the past. Period.

The game would be safer and the conduct easier to spot with a no tolerance policy.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also like to see Tom Wilson traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Because that would be fucking hilarious.

• Angry
Reactions: gob

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw the game last night but didn't pay much attention once the frackus broke out. What part of the scrum are people objecting to so effusively?

Here's what I see from Wilson's part in it...
-Buchnevich flashed his skate at Vitek and the Caps didn't like it.
-Wilson punched Buchnevich in the shoulder on the ice once to send a message - he didn't do it full force or hit him in his exposed head.
-Wilson then gets tackled by one guy and fights back.
-Wilson then gets tackled by another guy and fights back.

Panarin got hurt, but he had initiated that by jumping on Wilson. I think a fine or short suspension for the punch on Buchnevich is appropriate, but I don't see much more than that once guys are flying into the pile.

So what your saying is Panarin got what he deserved because he jumped on Wilson....

Cmon Loco

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a weird feeling but this might be a overreaction.

What if NY is looking at Criminal penalties and the NHL is quietly assisting
It's a nice fantasy, but the league wouldn't have said anything at all if that was the case.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what your saying is Panarin got what he deserved because he jumped on Wilson....

Cmon Loco

Nah, don't want to see anyone get hurt. I've been one of the most vocal anti-fighting people on here long before we arrived at the Hoop.

But guys get punched and slammed to the ice all the time during fights. What makes it different from other fights once the scrap has started?

Status
Not open for further replies.