• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part V minutes for fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1bd4971d195b5fd241818a2958909f45.gif

No, that's objectively true. 43 doesn't read my posts anyway. ;)

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I might rupture my spleen laughing if they pass on him.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I might rupture my spleen laughing if they pass on him.

The thing is he's probably been the Flames third best forward this season which likely explains why they have been so terrible.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me get this straight because I'm a little confused...

20 games...

WHY NOT THE 20 GAMES FOR THE EXACT SAME THING...

HELL EVEN MORE, no pun intended, FOR BEING A MULITPLE TIME OFFENDER

Don't look at it logically, it's more like Alice in Wonderland.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw the game last night but didn't pay much attention once the frackus broke out. What part of the scrum are people objecting to so effusively?

Here's what I see from Wilson's part in it...
-Buchnevich flashed his skate at Vitek and the Caps didn't like it.
-Wilson punched Buchnevich in the shoulder on the ice once to send a message - he didn't do it full force or hit him in his exposed head.
-Wilson then gets tackled by one guy and fights back.
-Wilson then gets tackled by another guy and fights back.

Panarin got hurt, but he had initiated that by jumping on Wilson. I think a fine or short suspension for the punch on Buchnevich is appropriate, but I don't see much more than that once guys are flying into the pile.

Wilson was punching a Ranger who was being held by a Capital teammate when Panarin "jumped on him", no? The nerve of the guy!

It appears to me that Dowd is on top of Strome and Wilson punches a defenseless Strome. Then Panarin attempts to pull Wilson off. What did I miss/get wrong?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish they would have suspended Wilson for 5 games.

We've won the Cup 100% of the years when Tom Wilson is suspended for at least one playoff game. :)

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is he's probably been the Flames third best forward this season which likely explains why they have been so terrible.
On the plus side, stand up thing for him to do for the franchise to protect someone else.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson was punching a Ranger who was being held by a Capital teammate when Panarin "jumped on him", no? The nerve of the guy!

It appears to me that Dowd is on top of Strome and Wilson punches a defenseless Strome. Then Panarin attempts to pull Wilson off. What did I miss/get wrong?

I would add too that this all happened quite a relatively long time before the hairpull and slam that it is supposed to be excusing.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the plus side, stand up thing for him to do for the franchise to protect someone else.

I will say this, I thought he was done like dinner, but he can still play in a sheltered, limited role. Put him on the 3rd/4th line and give him 10-12 minutes a night and he won't hurt your club too much and can still pot the occasional goal.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Habs can pick him up and slash Caufield's playing time. Seems like something they would do. Maybe bring back Komisarek so Lucic will have a friend.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Okay, so again, I'd like to hear the specific thing Wilson did that was awful. I read in a few articles that he punched Buchnevich in the head. He didn't. He hit him in the shoulder/back and not very hard either with a glove on. Definitely not an injury risk. It's a cheap shot, but not in the head, not an injury risk, and not hard. See this angle at the 0:31 mark...

At that point, Strome grabs Wilson and pulls him off Buchnevich. Panarin comes flying in later. And I just don't see anything there that isn't typical of a scrum you see often when both teams have every player involved. Is the issue that Tom Wilson didn't modify his behavior once he turned around and realized it was Panarin on his back because he's (1) smaller or (2) not a fighter? I don't know. If it's another big guy like Wilson and they tussle are we even talking about this? Buchnevich shouldn't have taken a swipe at the goalie. Wilson shouldn't have punched him in the shoulder. Panarin shouldn't have flying tackled him. Wilson shouldn't have slammed him down. Its all degrees of force and once outside of the competition of the game itself, it shouldn't be allowed. And how do you decide when and how is too much? Would Wilson have been wrong to punch Buchnevich in the head? I think so. What about where he did hit him? Hard to say he intended injury, maybe it was appropriate to protecting his goalie, I certainly know he can punch harder than he did, but he also definitely didn't need to do it at all. Should he have done nothing? Maybe.

Other sports toss players when they do these things after the whistle. Consequently, we see injuries after the play in baseball, basketball, or football only rarely, if at all. Again, the league could make that VERY clear by modifying the rules. They don't, and we are left in this weird cross section of morality where you are allowed to fight and punch, but only in certain ways and towards certain players.

And who is going to make the best decisions on that when their blood is up? I would argue few, least of all Tom Wilson. But do I think he did something horribly out of bounds from what we see in many hockey games? No, I just don't. Though he could certainly handle it with more grace than standing like an ape in the penalty box because he beat up a guy who weighs 50 lbs. less than he does.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hair pull and his unprotected head hitting the ice is also what I categorized as aggravated assault.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ir pull and his unprotected head hitting the ice is also what I categorized as aggravated assault.

Fair enough. I think in the speed of that replay it looks awful, but again, I do think that in real time and in the couple seconds in the middle of a scrum in which that all happens, it's a little different. I can't even count the dozens of times I've seen a guy get thrown or two guys both go down hard to the ice at the end of a fight and nobody makes a big deal of it because they landed in a way that nobody got hurt.

I don't know. The hair pulling is certainly shitty. The in-game stuff is one thing, but I have a harder time condemning Wilson for a scrum after the whistle as easily given the culture and past of the game and given that Panarin initially went after him. The NHL should just clean it all the way up so we don't have to have these stupid debates about intention, consequences, and punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.