• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said, nobody has given up a first for him alone. But twice he's been in packages that include firsts. The Sabres do have a few other pieces that could go in a package that could see another first come back.

Who are they going to package with Stewart to get a 1st round pick, Tyler Myers? If so they would probably have to bring back some salary to. Sorry, there's no chance a team is giving up a 1st round pick in this draft for Chris Stewart.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are they going to package with Stewart to get a 1st round pick, Tyler Myers? If so they would probably have to bring back some salary to. Sorry, there's no chance a team is giving up a 1st round pick in this draft for Chris Stewart.

Okay, I'll take Matt Moulson too. Then they can have the first rounder.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said, nobody has given up a first for him alone. But twice he's been in packages that include firsts. The Sabres do have a few other pieces that could go in a package that could see another first come back.

But when he was traded to you guys the first rounders in the deal came along with him, they weren't traded in exchange for a package including him.

And when the first deal happened he was 23 and coming off a 64 point season.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But when he was traded to you guys the first rounders in the deal came along with him, they weren't traded in exchange for a package including him.

And when the first deal happened he was 23 and coming off a 64 point season.

Fair enough, my mistake on that one.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That sure would be tough for a team that barely makes the cap floor and has an owner who just paid $1.4B cash for a football team.

Swamp Dragon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If teams are giving up first round picks to get Chris Stewart, then their GM's should be canned - he's not worth a first round pick, absolutely not

Depends where they pick if it's high 20's the odds are 28th pick 50% 29th 40% 30th 35% that they'll play 100 games in the NHL whether they are any good or not is even harder to say That said he bettter be a finishing piece not a building one This is not like the NFL where all 1st rounders pretty well start from the word get go There will be on average 3-5 seasons before those picks make the parent team if at all

Swamp Dragon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends where they pick if it's high 20's the odds are 28th pick 50% 29th 40% 30th 35% that they'll play 100 games in the NHL whether they are any good or not is even harder to say That said he bettter be a finishing piece not a building one This is not like the NFL where all 1st rounders pretty well start from the word get go There will be on average 3-5 seasons before those picks make the parent team if at all
More likely though a 2nd with salary help would be more prudent A second rounder 1 in 3 chance they play 100 games in the NHL

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chris Stewart is not an answer to any teams issues - and teams that are already really good have no purpose for him

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't give up a first rounder for anyone who is UFA in a few months, no matter who it was.

The asking price is (supposedly) two young players or two draft picks. The Bruins allegedly balked at that. So, I think the Jackets may be the only other team with enough injury woes to really be after a winger like him. And there are other places to look (Edmonton needs D and would move Eberle, and Carolina and Florida might be willing to deal). I would like to see Stewart because he is familiar to JD and Jarmo. But he's not worth more than one of the expendable D men (Goloubef or Erixon) and a young forward (Chaput or Zaar). I am also willing to throw in Jared Boll.

But at this point, I would trade Boll for a case of medical tape and some gauze pads.

Carolina has every reason in the World to trade Eric Staal.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Stewart is not an answer to any teams issues - and teams that are already really good have no purpose for him

He is a very specific answer to a very specific issue for the Jackets. But he is not the only answer.

Horton will not play this year, if ever again. The Jackets are built to where they need a big presence on Johansen's wing who will hit, be hard to knock off the puck, go to the front of the net and has a decent snipe. Chris Stewart could be that for them.

And with 7 of their top 9 forwards currently hurt... They need warm bodies.

And, ironically, the prototype player they need is Rick Nash. And his entire career here, all he needed was a Centre like Ryan Johansen. *sigh*

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a very specific answer to a very specific issue for the Jackets. But he is not the only answer.

Horton will not play this year, if ever again. The Jackets are built to where they need a big presence on Johansen's wing who will hit, be hard to knock off the puck, go to the front of the net and has a decent snipe. Chris Stewart could be that for them.

And, ironically, the prototype player they need is Rick Nash. And his entire career here, all he needed was a Centre like Ryan Johansen. *sigh*

Maybe he is a fit on the Jackets, but in general, no team that isn't just one piece away should be trading any first round pick for him

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry forty three I don't think Stewart is the answer. He's been given so many chances to be the player you describe as what your team needs. It didn't happen in St. Louis or Colorado. I don't think it's going to happen period.

Swamp Dragon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry forty three I don't think Stewart is the answer. He's been given so many chances to be the player you describe as what your team needs. It didn't happen in St. Louis or Colorado. I don't think it's going to happen period.
I can remember a player the Isles gave up on that blossomed after a couple more seasons and was a pretty good player till he took down Moore. Power forwards do take a little longer That said DBNI you are probably right

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carolina has every reason in the World to trade Eric Staal.

From your mouth to God's ears.

Maybe he is a fit on the Jackets, but in general, no team that isn't just one piece away should be trading any first round pick for him

I agree. And even if Horton (and everyone else) was healthy, I still feel like the Jackets needed another top 6 winger, preferably a sniper. But the guy to go get the puck for Johansen is the bigger issue right now.

But Chris Stewart on his own is not worth a first rounder.

He might not be, but outside of him, I can't think of many that would be readily available on the market. Most of the teams that have guys like that are in the east and likely unwilling to trade with us.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can remember a player the Isles gave up on that blossomed after a couple more seasons and was a pretty good player till he took down Moore. Power forwards do take a little longer That said DBNI you are probably right

He was a young guy at the time of the trade & the Isles handled him wrong. They wanted him to be the next Gillies. In fact whenever the chance arose Gillies tried to talk to him. This young guy wanted no part of it. He didn't want to talk to Gillies. He wanted to be left alone. His dad said later all they had to do was let him be himself & things would have been fine. The dad said he told them this. They didn't listen.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.