• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue Jackets notebook: Johansen talks likely to resume | BlueJackets Xtra

As the contract negotiations turn.

Couple of nuggets that illustrate why I love Jarmo:

And:

That, along with this:

Give me hope he will tell his agent to stuff it and accept a deal real soon. Probably right around the 5m mark.

I like to think there are a lot GMs that play this kind of hard ball, but it's pretty intriguing to see it play out in a fairly public setting. Certainly makes a fan respect Jarmo a ton.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they probably aren't even counting the ice girls. :noidea:

/skew

Don't make me give you a thumbs down... :P

I really miss the old men in track suits who just did their freaking jobs. Gosh I hate everything that changed when the Pens moved to Consol.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this first on twitter, and I believe it was from a woman who worked for a team. Her comment was "these numbers aren't right for us, but still interesting data". I imagine they were thinking of some higher level jobs nearer to actual hockey ops instead of ticket sales, etc. I imagine those numbers are more even, but that really doesn't make me feel any special pride as a lady fan. No offense to those women who do those jobs, of course. They probably didn't include interns either, and I know that's a large portion of promotions for a lot of teams.

Feels to me like trying to rile up or make an issue out of something that isn't. If you want to make a case, you can draw lines anywhere, and that's all I am asking is where the lines are.

Senior leadership? Probably correct. And compared to most corporations, not unusual for what its worth.

But to say the vast majority of NHL teams employ only between 8-12 women? That's all?

Disingenuous study is disingenuous.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feels to me like trying to rile up or make an issue out of something that isn't. If you want to make a case, you can draw lines anywhere, and that's all I am asking is where the lines are.

Senior leadership? Probably correct. And compared to most corporations, not unusual for what its worth.

But to say the vast majority of NHL teams employ only between 8-12 women? That's all?

Disingenuous study is disingenuous.

They used media guides provided by the teams to make this, according to Sarah Connors, who make the graphs, etc.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked through the Jackets media guide, and there are over 20 women listed if you include Ticket sales, etc. The lack of accompaning post or description does bug me. Like, did they not want to include every receptionist listed? Or the housekeeping supervisor of the arena? Then I'd understand a bit. But, they need to say that. Because there are plenty of women's names in these directories.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is social media was lumped in with marketing, HR, or community ones.

And this is pretty disappointing as a woman. Up top is an ol' boys club, and "you never played the game" keeps top MALE minds out of contention, so I'm pretty sure I'll be long gone from the world before that ever happens.

This is more often levied unfairly against men who haven't played professionally though I think. There are probably a lot more female hockey enthusiasts than men who have never played at any remotely serious level. And while I don't think that every employee needs to be a Hall of Famer or that there are zero positions for people who can't skate, I suspect that there are a lot of positions where having literally no on-ice experience can be seen as a problem.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is more often levied unfairly against men who haven't played professionally though I think. There are probably a lot more female hockey enthusiasts than men who have never played at any remotely serious level. And while I don't think that every employee needs to be a Hall of Famer or that there are zero positions for people who can't skate, I suspect that there are a lot of positions where having literally no on-ice experience can be seen as a problem.

Other than scout or head coach, I don't think there's a huge difference. And I'm pretty convinced any woman who has a shot at breaking into the top ranks will have had experience playing, and playing at a high level.

EDIT: And I'm pretty sure there are a lot of scouts that didn't play at too high of levels or haven't played in decades when the game was a lot different. Overall point: it's generally a BS excuse. Just like when my opinion on message boards is debunked because "I never played THE game" (not accusing you, referencing past experiences).

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They used media guides provided by the teams to make this, according to Sarah Connors, who make the graphs, etc.

Terminator-2-judgement-day.jpg

I have been looking for her.

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
alfredsson had a setback with his back this week. my guess is he is done

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pierre LeBrun was on TSN 1050 Wednesday evening.

On Mike Babcock’s contract status:

“It’s really the big storyline for me. One of the big ones of the year. I think he’s the best coach in the league...

“I could tell you this from talking to Mike last week. The expectation was that Babcock and Ken Holland were going to sit down together, whether it was this week or next week, between now and puck drop in October they were going to sit down and talk contract. Whether or not that produced an extension remains to be seen.

“I can tell you this: I think this is really difficult for Babcock. I think he’s gone back and forth all summer long. The bottom line is he works for the best ownership group in the NHL and who wants to leave that in the Ilitch family?

“But on the other side, it’s an extremely unique opportunity. Coaches never have the gumption to say, ‘I’m leaving a safe situation and putting myself on the market.’ Who’s kidding who? You’re hanging on to your job in this profession as a coach. You’re not ever worried about trying to get somewhere else. And I think that side of it intrigues him.

“So I don’t know what he’s going to do. I really sensed in his voice when I chatted with him last week complete indecision at this point.”

LeBrun sensed "complete indecision" from Babcock ? Nichols on Hockey

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pierre LeBrun was on TSN 1050 Wednesday evening.

On Mike Babcock’s contract status:

“It’s really the big storyline for me. One of the big ones of the year. I think he’s the best coach in the league...

“I could tell you this from talking to Mike last week. The expectation was that Babcock and Ken Holland were going to sit down together, whether it was this week or next week, between now and puck drop in October they were going to sit down and talk contract. Whether or not that produced an extension remains to be seen.

“I can tell you this: I think this is really difficult for Babcock. I think he’s gone back and forth all summer long. The bottom line is he works for the best ownership group in the NHL and who wants to leave that in the Ilitch family?

“But on the other side, it’s an extremely unique opportunity. Coaches never have the gumption to say, ‘I’m leaving a safe situation and putting myself on the market.’ Who’s kidding who? You’re hanging on to your job in this profession as a coach. You’re not ever worried about trying to get somewhere else. And I think that side of it intrigues him.

“So I don’t know what he’s going to do. I really sensed in his voice when I chatted with him last week complete indecision at this point.”

LeBrun sensed "complete indecision" from Babcock ? Nichols on Hockey

It's intriguing...not often coaches really hit the market willingly. I mean, typically they're forced out one way or another. Just so rare to have a guy actually work out their contract to it's full extent and then willingly decide to leave when they're actually wanted.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's intriguing...not often coaches really hit the market willingly. I mean, typically they're forced out one way or another. Just so rare to have a guy actually work out their contract to it's full extent and then willingly decide to leave when they're actually wanted.

Only one I can really think of was Lemaire after his first stint with the Devils. His contract expired and he moved on. He said it was getting to a point where he was going to have to start telling vets that he had a lot of history with and really liked as people that they weren't good enough anymore and he didn't think he had the heart to do that.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's always Sonny in Columbus - Blue Jackets announce signing of top pick Milano

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/blue-jackets-announce-signing-top-151328517--nhl.html

I have a bad feeling about this kid. When he was drafted he was all flash, but convinced the world he was committed to BC and was a few years off. Comes to rookie camp and proves he all flash (and not as much substance), then backs out on BC and wants to go to the OHL. Now it looks like he wants to go right into the AHL. I understand drive and desire, but the Jackets have had enough of guys who seem to be in it for the wrong reason and are impatient.

I hope I am wrong and he doesn't bail on the Whale(rs).

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.