• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaw Communications (TSX: SJR.B)(NYSE: SJR) today announced the launch of Sportsnet NOW the latest addition to Shaw's TV Everywhere content library. With Sportsnet NOW, Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct subscribers will have 24/7 access to high-quality, HD sports content and programming from around the world. Sportsnet NOW is available today for all iOS and Android devices or online through users' Internet browser.

"With Sportsnet NOW, we're giving Shaw customers the ability to access great sports content wherever and whenever they want on a variety of different devices, including mobile phones, tablets or online," said Jay Mehr, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Shaw Communications. "The Sportsnet NOW app is a fantastic addition to Shaw's already robust TV Everywhere lineup, and the perfect complement to our leading Shaw Go WiFi service."

Through Sportsnet NOW, Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct customers will be given instant access to live, streaming content from all the Sportsnet channels they subscribe to, including Sportsnet Ontario, East, West and Pacific, Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet 360, and Sportsnet World. Sportsnet viewers in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal will also get access to regional NHL games on the app.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
Inch by inch.... told Jackets improved offer to $3.25 M per year, Johansen camp countered with $4.5 M per year... still wide gap

*sigh*

For the longest time, I was all "Grow up Joey".

Now, GROW UP JARMO. Making decent offers is not that hard. Neither side seems to understand that working in tiny increments isn't going to work. And Johansen's side already did their drastic shift. Time for the Jackets to raise by half a mil or so and SIGN THE FUCKING GUY.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take one Hockey Slut, please and thank you.

Edit: Of course I mean a t-shirt (lol)

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBrun with some details:

Bobby Ryan extension breakdown: 6.5 7 7.25 7.5 7.5 7.5 7.5

Bobby Ryan deal has full NMC/partial NTC: Can't be waived or assigned but has to give list of 10 teams if requested for no trade

Boy was I wrong. I didn't think Ottawa had a prayer of resigning Ryan. Good for the Sens & their fans.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*sigh*

For the longest time, I was all "Grow up Joey".

Now, GROW UP JARMO. Making decent offers is not that hard. Neither side seems to understand that working in tiny increments isn't going to work. And Johansen's side already did their drastic shift. Time for the Jackets to raise by half a mil or so and SIGN THE FUCKING GUY.

With Jenner out for the next 5 weeks does R.J. have a bit more leverage?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Jenner out for the next 5 weeks does R.J. have a bit more leverage?

Not from the team's point of view, it seems. The Jackets have had some success rotating the kids around in pre-season and it's believed they expected two of the draft picks to show potential to make the team. Right now it's 5 that have shown promise. Wennberg, Rychel, Dano, Chaput and Anderson (Although they did assign Anderson already). It seems the organization (and I disagree) feels comfortable going into battle with this group, and there is a definitive timetable for Jenner's return. Horton is a bit murkier.

It's not that that think they are better without Johansen, they don't feel they are as wounded as it appears. I think they are wrong. No telling if the kids will be able to adjust fully to Metro Division play when it counts.

Doesn't look like the team is going to budge much, probably expecting Johansen to really sweat when the season starts. But it's crunch time. The team will not compete for a playoff spot without him, but will be middle of the pack - so no draft benefit. With him, (and Jenner and Horton) they can do damage, but it's going to have to completely gel like it did last year (and the longer he sits the harder that is to do). They just don't have any top level talent like the rest of the Metro. Wennberg and Rychel should have big careers, but I don't know if either is ready to shoulder the load.

TL;DR version: Club doesn't think he has more leverage now. I do think he does.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not from the team's point of view, it seems. The Jackets have had some success rotating the kids around in pre-season and it's believed they expected two of the draft picks to show potential to make the team. Right now it's 5 that have shown promise. Wennberg, Rychel, Dano, Chaput and Anderson (Although they did assign Anderson already). It seems the organization (and I disagree) feels comfortable going into battle with this group, and there is a definitive timetable for Jenner's return. Horton is a bit murkier.

It's not that that think they are better without Johansen, they don't feel they are as wounded as it appears. I think they are wrong. No telling if the kids will be able to adjust fully to Metro Division play when it counts.

Doesn't look like the team is going to budge much, probably expecting Johansen to really sweat when the season starts. But it's crunch time. The team will not compete for a playoff spot without him, but will be middle of the pack - so no draft benefit. With him, (and Jenner and Horton) they can do damage, but it's going to have to completely gel like it did last year (and the longer he sits the harder that is to do). They just don't have any top level talent like the rest of the Metro. Wennberg and Rychel should have big careers, but I don't know if either is ready to shoulder the load.

TL;DR version: Club doesn't think he has more leverage now. I do think he does.

The Blue Jackets are a team on the rise as you well know. I feel the Wild & the Blue Jackets are the two teams headed for possibly the biggest upswing in their respective conferences. The Blue Jackets need to make a decision soon. I don't see why they can't settle on 3.75 or 4M per year. If they don't believe he deserves to make that kind of money they should just trade him. The Oilers wanted him in a bad way during his draft year. They have plenty of young potential talent. A deal could be made.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Blue Jackets are a team on the rise as you well know. I feel the Wild & the Blue Jackets are the two teams headed for possibly the biggest upswing in their respective conferences. The Blue Jackets need to make a decision soon. I don't see why they can't settle on 3.75 or 4M per year. If they don't believe he deserves to make that kind of money they should just trade him. The Oilers wanted him in a bad way during his draft year. They have plenty of young potential talent. A deal could be made.

The problem is not with the player. They hate the agent. They like Johansen and want him to stay, forever if possible, but feel he is getting bad advice (he is). And they are trying to set the stage for the next round of guys coming off ELCs (including another represented by the same agent).

The agent just wants a record bridge deal. Nothing else matters to him, and the Jackets are not interested in dancing along.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That seems like a lot of money for a guy who looks like he has regressed quite a bit in the past two years. Ottawa might've been better off waiting a couple months into the season to see if he was ever going to beat the numbers of a few years ago...

LOL.

What happened to the whole we'll see how cheap Melnyk is if Ryan doesn't re-sign?

Change your tune much?

I knew this was coming. If they didn't re-sign him it would be all about how cheap the Sens are and now that he has it's too much money. Do you honestly think that Ryan would get any less than 7 mil on the open market?

Oh and the guy is 27 years old.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

What happened to the whole we'll see how cheap Melnyk is if Ryan doesn't re-sign?

Change your tune much?

I knew this was coming. If they didn't re-sign him it would be all about how cheap the Sens are and now that he has it's too much money. Do you honestly think that Ryan would get any less than 7 mil on the open market?

Oh and the guy is 27 years old.

Like Sabresfan said, 1) He was dealing with injury so maybe it was a blip, and 2) Sens are a franchise that at this point probably has to overpay to get their better players to stay.

As I said originally, I would have liked to have seen what he could produce this season, and only then could I guesstimate what he could've gotten on the market.

A lot of people said similar things about Jordan Staal before he left Pittsburgh, and he was in a similar spot to Bobby Ryan in regards to believing he should be playing a line ahead of where he was. He got that, and his numbers haven't exactly reflected his bigger role and I think that Ryan is in that same boat.

Change your tune much?

We saw, I guess? :noidea: Whatever it is you're trying to do there, it's lost on me. If anything, shouldn't you just be happy that an owner that took a surprising young team and cut salary is now spending some of the millions he got out of a national broadcaster for local TV rights?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Wild still don't have a goalie that can get them deep into the postseason, and they're still in a division with Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas and Colorado and fighting for a wild card berth with one of those teams and Vancouver or San Jose from the other division.

But if they were in the Metrosex Division, yeah, they'd probably top it.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Sabresfan said, 1) He was dealing with injury so maybe it was a blip, and 2) Sens are a franchise that at this point probably has to overpay to get their better players to stay.

As I said originally, I would have liked to have seen what he could produce this season, and only then could I guesstimate what he could've gotten on the market.

A lot of people said similar things about Jordan Staal before he left Pittsburgh, and he was in a similar spot to Bobby Ryan in regards to believing he should be playing a line ahead of where he was. He got that, and his numbers haven't exactly reflected his bigger role and I think that Ryan is in that same boat.

Jordan Staal's best season (point-wise) at that point, and to this day, would be Ryan's 5th best season. It's one point better than the injury plagued season that Ryan had last year.

Jordan Staal has never scored 30 goals; Ryan has 4 times.

Jordan Staal has never topped 50 points; Ryan has 4 times.

Jordan Staal is in the top 50 in goal production at his position in the least 5 years; Ryan is in the top 10.

Other than that your comparison is excellent. :L

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Attendance in Sunrise tonight 2,859

yes, it's an exhibition game. but wow.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Staal's best season (point-wise) at that point, and to this day, would be Ryan's 5th best season. It's one point better than the injury plagued season that Ryan had last year.

Jordan Staal has never scored 30 goals; Ryan has 4 times.

Jordan Staal has never topped 50 points; Ryan has 4 times.

Jordan Staal is in the top 50 in goal production at his position in the least 5 years; Ryan is in the top 10.

Other than that your comparison is excellent. :L

It is, in that I only compared their situations and never compared their production?

Keep shovelling words into my posts, though. I'm sure eventually you'll be able to sleep soundly.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Attendance in Sunrise tonight 2,859

yes, it's an exhibition game. but wow.

Their numbers are going to be even worse than usual this year because Vinnie V. isn't giving away all the freebies like they have in the past to help fill up the building.

It's full price or it's nothing this year. I'm guessing they average below 10K per game unless the team is a lot better than we all expect.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 4m4 minutes ago

#Blackhawks add Daniel Carcillo (!!!) to training camp roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.