• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

One of the worst rules in football

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does the NFL have against SportsHoopla?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned this in the rule change thread, but the no advancing a fumble is just stupid. Everyone changed it to no advancing fumbles by the offense late in games after the Holy Roller. Everyone should be allowed to advance a fumble. It's amazing that a 100k fans can see a BS play, but we can not let the game be officiated by logic. I think that is far dumber than this rule. Why should a fumble be a potential TD for the defense, but only a spot for the offense?

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did go to YouTube and watch it though, purdy good shit.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem with the rule. Fumbling is bad. I could see changing it to give it to the defense at the spot of the fumble, but no way should the offense keep possession.

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a rule you hate when it goes against you but love when it goes your way.

Y'all are lying if you haven't gotten excited when an opposing player butterfingers the ball away through the end zone.
I know for a fact I have jumped off the couch and yelled
"Ha Ha Ha suck it! No points for you!"

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a bullshit, antiquated rule. Time for change. Take the ball back to the LoS and penalize the offense with a loss of down or something, but to just "gift" the ball (possession) to the defense is garbage.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a bullshit, antiquated rule. Time for change. Take the ball back to the LoS and penalize the offense with a loss of down or something, but to just "gift" the ball (possession) to the defense is garbage.

Two ways to change this IMO. Offense keeps the ball but it is placed 10 yards back from spot of fumble. (2nd and goal on the 2. Ball is fumbled out of bounds. 3rd and goal on the 12) If you are one with the the opinion the defense should get the ball then they get the ball on the 2 yard line or spot of fumble whichever is closest. This seriously hampers either side with the idea of just knocking the ball out of the endzone instead of giving an effort to recover it.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why should the offense get the benefit? They fucked up and put the ball on the ground. The defense created the fumble. They should get the ball.

Agreed. I may be biased because I played on defense, but the endzone is the home territory of the defense (the D's home base), so if an offense screws-up and fumbles out the back or side of the defenses home territory, then the ball should belong to the defense.

Accountability folks..... if you screw-up and lose the ball out of bounds on offense in the regular field of play (the 100 yards from goal line to goal line), then the offense should keep the ball.... however, if the offense loses the ball in the home territory(endzone) of the defense, then the offense should be penalized by losing the ball inside the home base of the defense.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
th

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? It's obvious that the offense "positively" lost control of the ball. You want to reward them?
Batted down passes don't give the D the ball.
All fumbles don't give the D the ball.

What is your argument here? The offense simply doing something bad doesn't lose possession. The Defense has to TAKE it or a turnover on downs or the defense pushes the offense through the back of the playing field.

The offense just doing something ungood shouldn't result in a change of possession, which is drastic, ESPECIALLY after shoving the defense all the way down the field

Duckfan22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why it is such a dumb rule

I have no problem with the rule. Ya it sucks when it happens to your team. These kids are taught how to hold the ball to lessen the chance of a fumble from a very young age. They know the rules. Alot of times I think they get careless with the ball around the goal line because they're trying so hard to get it across.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the logic of some here, all fumbles that go out of bounds should result in a change of possession: careless with ball, didn't get possession back, etc.

haydav49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Batted down passes don't give the D the ball.
All fumbles don't give the D the ball.

What is your argument here? The offense simply doing something bad doesn't lose possession. The Defense has to TAKE it or a turnover on downs or the defense pushes the offense through the back of the playing field.

The offense just doing something ungood shouldn't result in a change of possession, which is drastic, ESPECIALLY after shoving the defense all the way down the field
We're just going to have to agree to disagree. I think it is bullshit to give the ball back to the offense when they proved they can't hold on to it.
Rules are the same for BOTH teams. They know the rules when they take the field. It's really pretty simple. You want to keep the ball and possibly score? Don't fumble.