• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

One of the worst rules in football

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're just going to have to agree to disagree. I think it is bullshit to give the ball back to the offense when they proved they can't hold on to it.
Rules are the same for BOTH teams. They know the rules when they take the field. It's really pretty simple. You want to keep the ball and possibly score? Don't fumble.

If it goes out of bounds on the sideline, do you think we should give it to the defense? Same principles.

haydav49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If it goes out of bounds on the sideline, do you think we should give it to the defense? Same principles.
Not the same. Argue that all you want. You know it isn't the same. What part of the rules don't you understand? They are the same for both teams. Hold onto the ball and it isn't an issue.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I may be biased because I played on defense, but the endzone is the home territory of the defense (the D's home base), so if an offense screws-up and fumbles out the back or side of the defenses home territory, then the ball should belong to the defense.

Accountability folks..... if you screw-up and lose the ball out of bounds on offense in the regular field of play (the 100 yards from goal line to goal line), then the offense should keep the ball.... however, if the offense loses the ball in the home territory(endzone) of the defense, then the offense should be penalized by losing the ball inside the home base of the defense.

This is probably the best explanation I think.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if the defense allows the offense to drive so close to the endzone that a fumble would go through the back, then the offense should be awarded 2 points. Obviously the D couldn't stop them anyway.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is probably the best explanation I think.
I agree with what @Innermind said as well. I woudl add that if a ball is fumbled out of play within the field, you can run the next play from the spot where the ball went out of play. You can't do that if the ball goes into the endzone before going out of bounds.

I've never had a problem with calling it a touchback. It's a rule that works the same for everybody. And as has been stated previously in this thread, if you don't want to lose possession, then don't fumble.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but the defense has done nothing to be awarded possession either.

Duckfan22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In most cases they cause the fumble. The offense made a mistake by losing possession of the ball, the penalty is a turnover.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then we should give the defense the ball anytime they cause a turnover that rolls out of bounds. Let's be uniform about it.

Duckfan22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then we should give the defense the ball anytime they cause a turnover that rolls out of bounds. Let's be uniform about it.

The point has already been made that the end zone, is different than the regular field of play, therefore different rules apply.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a fumble that isn't recovered is a fumble that isn't recovered and I don't care where it is on the field. The rule sucks bawlz. Just my 2 cents.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned this in the rule change thread, but the no advancing a fumble is just stupid. Everyone changed it to no advancing fumbles by the offense late in games after the Holy Roller. Everyone should be allowed to advance a fumble. It's amazing that a 100k fans can see a BS play, but we can not let the game be officiated by logic. I think that is far dumber than this rule. Why should a fumble be a potential TD for the defense, but only a spot for the offense?

If the offense could advance a fumble, Then every close game would end with a play where the offensive team just keeps fumbling the ball forward instead of having to lateral the ball backwards. All forward laterals would be legal, because they would be treated like fumbles. Every time a player was stopped short of the end zone on a fourth and goal play we would see a fumble into the end zone.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're just going to have to agree to disagree. I think it is bullshit to give the ball back to the offense when they proved they can't hold on to it.
Rules are the same for BOTH teams. They know the rules when they take the field. It's really pretty simple. You want to keep the ball and possibly score? Don't fumble.

1. Any fumble or batted down pass or even incompletion is "proof they can't hold on to it."

2. Land mines on the field could be "rules are the same for both teams."

This is some silly argumentation.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still remember Ingram fumbling the ball against awwbun and it going like 19 yards (literally) down the sideline and out the back of the end zone. Large pile of bullshit it was.

Same thing happened to Tennessee, when Cory Anderson fumbled through the end zone from like the 5-yard line. :L

Bama ended up taking over and hitting a game-winning FG.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we are all agreed, except for a handful of prudes, that this rule is complete shit?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the offense could advance a fumble, Then every close game would end with a play where the offensive team just keeps fumbling the ball forward instead of having to lateral the ball backwards. All forward laterals would be legal, because they would be treated like fumbles. Every time a player was stopped short of the end zone on a fourth and goal play we would see a fumble into the end zone.

It is not hard to realize what an intentional fumble looks like. Forward laterals are not legal today, so that makes 0 sense. You do not see RBs fumbling on 4th and 1 currently, so why would that change. You could advance a fumble on offense, until 2 or 3 minutes left in the game. That will change this year

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For real. If I wanted to be redirected I'd be posting on my phone...

:bolt:
If you turn off the JavaScript on your phone, it eliminates the redirects (at least it did on my iPhone). You do lose some of the functionality; videos, smiley lists, Twitter quotes; but you do get most of the content of the site. Just an FYI Jimmie

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule should be changed. If the fumble went out of bounds outside of the end zone, the offense would get the ball at the spot of the fumble. Whether the ball goes out of bounds outside the end zone or in the end zone, it still went out of bounds. The rule shouldn't change just because of where the ball went out.

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uh huh team B stopped team A from crossing the goal line while team A was in possession of the ball. therefore you have a touchback, and change of possession.
in our rule book A= Offense B= Defense.