• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

One of the worst rules in football

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the same. Argue that all you want. You know it isn't the same. What part of the rules don't you understand? They are the same for both teams. Hold onto the ball and it isn't an issue.

It is the same. Out of bounds is out of bounds. By your logic, any fumble should be given to the defense, even if the offense recovers it. After all, the offense didn't hold on to the ball.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not hard to realize what an intentional fumble looks like. Forward laterals are not legal today, so that makes 0 sense. You do not see RBs fumbling on 4th and 1 currently, so why would that change. You could advance a fumble on offense, until 2 or 3 minutes left in the game. That will change this year

That's my point. Teams will be practicing how to make an intentional fumble look real. Fifty percent of Replay reviews will be to determine if it was a real fumble or a forward lateral.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This rule reminds me of the "Bush Push" game (sorry Domers). On the play prior to the Bush Push, Matt Leinart tried to run it into the end zone, jumped in the air near the sideline and the ball was knocked free. It went out of bounds right about the 1 yard line. USC retained possession and scored on the next play.

If the ball had been fumbled forward end went out of bounds after crossing the goal line, it would have been Notre Dame ball. Same exact play, the ball travels about a yard further before going out of bounds and you get a completely different outcome. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think a fumble by the offense at any point should result in a change of possession. So many rules favoring offense now, and fumbling is the biggest sin a skill position player can make.

Plus the rule helped UGA beat Tennessee two years ago.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when the offense fumbles the ball in their own end zone and it goes out of bounds with no clear possession there should be no safety either? There has to be a punishment for the fumble. I'm fine with the rule the way it is.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when the offense fumbles the ball in their own end zone and it goes out of bounds with no clear possession there should be no safety either? There has to be a punishment for the fumble. I'm fine with the rule the way it is.

That's different because you can say that it's essentially the same as being tackled in the end zone. The penalty for a fumble is the loss of down. If we truly want to make sure the offense gets "punished" then they can change the rule and return the ball to the original line of scrimmage. Then it becomes a loss of down and no yardage gained on the play.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's different because you can say that it's essentially the same as being tackled in the end zone. The penalty for a fumble is the loss of down. If we truly want to make sure the offense gets "punished" then they can change the rule and return the ball to the original line of scrimmage. Then it becomes a loss of down and no yardage gained on the play.
My point being that some people are claiming the defense shouldn't get the ball because they never gained possession. Then why should they get 2 points for a safety if they don't possess the ball?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule is fine.
The End Zone belongs to 1 team, the Field is neutral.
Of course the rule is different in that circumstance.
It's not a hard thing to understand.

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is the same in high school rules. the offense keeps the ball from the point of the fumble, if it rolls out of the defenses end zone with no one in possession.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point being that some people are claiming the defense shouldn't get the ball because they never gained possession. Then why should they get 2 points for a safety if they don't possess the ball?

Solid point. The only argument I can make is that if they do possess the ball in that situation, it's a touchdown. Perhaps change the rule so that a fumble by the offense in that scenario gets returned to just outside the goal line? That way the offense still gets penalized with the loss of down and yardage, but the defense doesn't get rewarded points for not possessing the ball.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense pushing a team back through their own end zone should be rewarded. The DEFENSE did something positive there.

The defense letting the offense push them literally all the way down the field should NOT be rewarded just because just past the very last yard the ball goes out of bounds on a fumble.

That's the difference.

It is good to have consistent rules that respect the positive aspects of gameplay.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because that is happening in the teams own endzone.

If the defense possess the ball in that situation, it's a TD. If the defense possess the ball in the other end zone, it's a touch back.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense pushing a team back through their own end zone should be rewarded. The DEFENSE did something positive there.

The defense letting the offense push them literally all the way down the field should NOT be rewarded just because just past the very last yard the ball goes out of bounds on a fumble.

That's the difference.

It is good to have consistent rules that respect the positive aspects of gameplay.

The problem is that offenses don't always end up in that situation because the defense pushed them back there. They could, for example, be in that position because their defense just had a successful goal line stand.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that offenses don't always end up in that situation because the defense pushed them back there. They could, for example, be in that position because their defense just had a successful goal line stand.

If the defense wasn't out there, there wouldn't be a need to take any risk that might end up in a safety.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the defense wasn't out there, there wouldn't be a need to take any risk that might end up in a safety.
That's a very rare edge case that doesn't need to hamper wat would be a good, consistent rule that would reflect and reward good gameplay. And even in your example, the offense still has to be forced into a negative action by the D

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point. Teams will be practicing how to make an intentional fumble look real. Fifty percent of Replay reviews will be to determine if it was a real fumble or a forward lateral.

But they never have, so why would they do it if they did NOT change rule? Offense has been allowed to advance a fumble since Princeton and Rutgers played the first college game ever. You are arguing that leaving the rules alone will be a major change

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because that is happening in the teams own endzone.

If the defense possess the ball in that situation, it's a TD. If the defense possess the ball in the other end zone, it's a touch back.
NOOOOOOOOO.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have 0 problems with this rule, because it is balanced. Nobody is talking about the other side of the coin. It's 3rd down and the QB gets sacked in the end zone and fumbles out the back. Where do you mark that? I would much rather the offense punts from the goal line, than be rewarded a safety. It cuts both ways. I only have issues with rules that clearly benefit one side.

mutiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have 0 problems with this rule, because it is balanced. Nobody is talking about the other side of the coin. It's 3rd down and the QB gets sacked in the end zone and fumbles out the back. Where do you mark that? I would much rather the offense punts from the goal line, than be rewarded a safety. It cuts both ways. I only have issues with rules that clearly benefit one side.

Sorry, I just don't agree. Plus if you fumble backwards....you are losing yardage no matter what. If you lose it out the back of your own end zone, they deserve the safety.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule is fine. If you fumble the ball through the other teams end zone you don't deserve to get it back lol. Should you get the ball back if you fumble through your own end zone...AKA safety? Stupid thread.