• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason news

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony Hitchens - LB - Cowboys
According to Draft Insider's Tony Pauline, "just about everybody believes" free agent LB Anthony Hitchens will sign with the Colts.

Indy beat writers have hinted at this, as well; new Colts DC Matt Eberflus was Hitchens' position coach in Dallas. A solid run stopper with experience at all three linebacker positions, Hitchens typically came off the field on passing downs as a Cowboy. He would play middle linebacker in the Colts' new 4-3.
Related: Colts

Source: Draft Analyst
Mar 8 - 12:40 AM

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some interesting thoughts in this thread, I'll add a few of my own. A few things that make some sense to me...

- Possible cuts could include Hanna and Scandrick as the most obvious targets. Hanna makes too much money for his role. It's time for Scandrick to move aside.

- I'd look to move on from Dez, I honestly think Dak plays better when Dez is not on the field. Dez won't be cut. I wouldn't even bother trying to restructure him as I think he would become totally disgruntled. Instead, this is a put up or shut up year for Dez.

- Agree with restructuring Frederick and no one else.

- In principle it seems like a good idea to cut T.Crawford, but I don't see the point this year. It only frees up a little less than $2m and I don't think you can get a comparable replacement for that money. The bright side to cutting him would be to get the dead money out of the way now.

- 2nd round tender D.Irving and hope another team bites.

- Obviously need to extend Martin.

- If the money is reasonable I'd look to bring back Hitchens. He's been pretty reliable, mostly. Took a step forward last year after coming back from serious injury. Don't know how realistic this is, don't have a clue what his market is.

- Move B.Jones to an outside CB position and let him run.

- S, WR, DT, LB in the draft please!
I can agree with except the Dez take. I firmly believe if Dallas can getva true deep threat opposite Dez it will make Dez a very valuable part to this offense.
That said Dez needs to fix his drops problem.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak does not play better without Dez. When did this happen??? What game? Your really think TW, Butler, and Bease, would be better then having Dez??? The only things I agree with is restructuring Fred and extend Martin.

It's a small sample size, Dez missed games 4, 5 & 6 in 2016. Dak was excellent in those games. TWill, Beasley and Butler were just fine in those games. Dallas won all 3.

IMO Dak is at his best when he can just dink and dunk and throw it to the open man with no prejudice, or run if nothing is there. When Dez is on the field I get the sense Dak feels an obligation to try to get Dez the ball. Because when Dak doesn't do this often enough Dez is gonna start chirping in his ear about it, or the coaches are going to hear about it. We saw a few examples of this last year, and I don't buy for a second that these were examples of Dez just trying "to fire up his squad". My personal favorite excuse for one of Dez's tantrums on the sideline against the Seahawks last year was "I was just calling out the coverage" - he said this after walking around the sideline holding up two fingers and yelling at players and coaches alike, Dez had 2 targets to that point in the game.

Dez is not the same guy he was when he earned that huge contract - and he did earn it. It's a bad idea to pay a guy that much money for middle of the road production all the while being divisive on the sidelines. No thanks. The NFL is a business, and Dez has been shown more loyalty than most, he's owed nothing.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only concern with Dez being gone is who becomes his red zone replacement? Witten can't be relied on much longer and not sure the others are winning jump balls etc.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony Hitchens - LB - Cowboys
According to Draft Insider's Tony Pauline, "just about everybody believes" free agent LB Anthony Hitchens will sign with the Colts.

Indy beat writers have hinted at this, as well; new Colts DC Matt Eberflus was Hitchens' position coach in Dallas. A solid run stopper with experience at all three linebacker positions, Hitchens typically came off the field on passing downs as a Cowboy. He would play middle linebacker in the Colts' new 4-3.
Related: Colts

Source: Draft Analyst
Mar 8 - 12:40 AM
I like Hitchens, but if we can sign a kid like Josey Jowell in the 2nd round, I'll be good with it. With DLaw, Dak, Zeke, TSmith, Martin, Fred, Lee, Dez, they simply can't pay everyone

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with except the Dez take. I firmly believe if Dallas can getva true deep threat opposite Dez it will make Dez a very valuable part to this offense.
That said Dez needs to fix his drops problem.

I agree there are things that can be done to increase Dez's effectiveness. Different lineups, moving Dez around in the formation/scheme might help. But how much of this lack of evolution from Dez is his own fault? We have seen it ourselves and heard from opposing defenders that Dez is very limited in the things he does. Does he not work hard enough at his craft? These issues he's experiencing the past few years are only going to get worse IMO, and yeah he will flash the old play making ability from time to time, but those instances will be fewer and further between.

I'd cut him personally, but the Cowboys will give him at least one more year. Leave his contract alone, and it's time to get it done or be gone. Harsh realities when you're making that kind of money and not providing elite production.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only concern with Dez being gone is who becomes his red zone replacement? Witten can't be relied on much longer and not sure the others are winning jump balls etc.

Rico Gathers!

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying we have the money, he'll be worth the money he'll get or that I think this team can use another head case, but...it sure would make this defensive line something. Irving/Collins/Suh/DLaw

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">While no decision has been made, sources say the Miami Dolphins are discussing cutting Ndamukong Suh.</p>&mdash; Dianna Russini (@diannaESPN) <a href="">March 9, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying we have the money, he'll be worth the money he'll get or that I think this team can use another head case, but...it sure would make this defensive line something. Irving/Collins/Suh/DLaw

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">While no decision has been made, sources say the Miami Dolphins are discussing cutting Ndamukong Suh.</p>&mdash; Dianna Russini (@diannaESPN) <a href="">March 9, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Absolutely no way do I want Suh in Dallas.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sammy Watkins and/or Marqise Lee come to mind

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we can afford him either
Sad, but true. There are alot of free agents that can help this team, but we are cap strapped again!!

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad, but true. There are alot of free agents that can help this team, but we are cap strapped again!!
we have to make some gut-wrenching decisions over certain players who are no longer contributing members of the team

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutting Scandrick saves 3 mill post June 1. Cutting Beasley saves 3.2 mill. Those are moves that are very likely, but haven't happened. Then we have three big ones to deal with. Trying to get Dez and T.Crawford to restructure or add BS years to reduce cap hit. Along with those two, we have Witten who I don't see his value at 6.5 million. Maybe we cut his current contract and sign him to a smaller one.
I agree with this post.
In a cap era, it's about identifying your keepers and turning over the roster with younger players.

Scandrick is what he is and I think there are younger & better players already on this team.

Beasley was scouted and exposed. They shaded the outside and dared him to go over the middle which took him out of many games. Gotta role with the NC guy for that role.

Dez and Crawford's cap hit must be reduced.

I think Witten will take less for the teams sake in the way Dirk did for the Mav's.

TWill doesn't belong and this team MUST open competition for playing time regardless of what their paying a player. I think the 7th round OSU wide is better and should be given that opportunity. I know Butler was and he wasn't given the opportunity. Coaches really need to reevaluate themselves in this department

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this post.
In a cap era, it's about identifying your keepers and turning over the roster with younger players.

Scandrick is what he is and I think there are younger & better players already on this team.

Beasley was scouted and exposed. They shaded the outside and dared him to go over the middle which took him out of many games. Gotta role with the NC guy for that role.

Dez and Crawford's cap hit must be reduced.

I think Witten will take less for the teams sake in the way Dirk did for the Mav's.

TWill doesn't belong and this team MUST open competition for playing time regardless of what their paying a player. I think the 7th round OSU wide is better and should be given that opportunity. I know Butler was and he wasn't given the opportunity. Coaches really need to reevaluate themselves in this department
Just my opinion, but I think this is where Jerry is still majorly meddling.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion, but I think this is where Jerry is still majorly meddling.
Could be... but it doesn't explain the lack of game planning and in game adjustments . Beasley did the same thing game after game and was more often than not a non-factor. Dez was suppose to be lining up all over the field and put in motion for better match ups and it happened very little. This team was suppose to run more screens but really didn't.

I remain convinced this team does not scout themselves and their tendencies. I also think they don't coach up their second tier plays well. The best example would be the oline. It's been said we ran basically 6 running plays because they wanted to simplify the running game for the back ups should they be forced in to action due to injury. Think about that for a second. This shows no regards to the other sideline being professional.

Someone said here the other day that Garrett coaches like we have a talent of the 90's Cowboy teams. That seems true and is a major problem. We must scout our tendencies and show different looks....if for no other reason than to make your opponents spend time worrying about the possibilities of those formations and plays being run in the game

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyrann Mathieu - DB - Cardinals
Cardinals DB Tyrann Mathieu says the team has asked him to take a pay cut.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports it would be a "large" cut. Mathieu is currently scheduled to make $10.75 million between salary and bonuses. He's due a $5 million roster bonus next Wednesday. It's quite possible Mathieu refuses the cut and earns his release. Cutting Mathieu and designating it as a post-June 1 move would free up $11 million in space.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Suh is one of my favorites. Loved that hit he put on Cutler years ago.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be... but it doesn't explain the lack of game planning and in game adjustments . Beasley did the same thing game after game and was more often than not a non-factor. Dez was suppose to be lining up all over the field and put in motion for better match ups and it happened very little. This team was suppose to run more screens but really didn't.

I remain convinced this team does not scout themselves and their tendencies. I also think they don't coach up their second tier plays well. The best example would be the oline. It's been said we ran basically 6 running plays because they wanted to simplify the running game for the back ups should they be forced in to action due to injury. Think about that for a second. This shows no regards to the other sideline being professional.

Someone said here the other day that Garrett coaches like we have a talent of the 90's Cowboy teams. That seems true and is a major problem. We must scout our tendencies and show different looks....if for no other reason than to make your opponents spend time worrying about the possibilities of those formations and plays being run in the game

Another problem has been evaluating bottom tier free agents. Not very good, Carroll and others. They have to do a better job of evaluating adding depth. Like you, I am very concerned with coaching and in game adjustments. Well this has to be the last year for this coaching staff if we don't make the playoffs. Just hope it does not come to that. I want to win!!!!