• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason news

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
36 catches for 316 yards is not an irreplaceable stat line. He caught 20 first downs, behind Dez, behind Witten, behind T-Will. I won't show him the door, but he needs to play better than catching 36 of 63, esp when 80+% of the passes his way travel less than 10 yards. His catch rate should be on the north side of 65% like it was the past 4 years (when he earned that roster spot). I'm not trying to pick on him since he was not the only one whose play was disappointing. There isn't one receiver (outside of Switzer) we have that is untouchable - including TEs. Switzer being a rookie last year gets a pass this year - why throw in the towel already? I'm in favor of bringing in a bunch of new faces, be it trades, FA or draft.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I understand why they did it. I dont think they tag him if they had confidence in Taco. That 17m hurts us for Free-agency. Let the restructure begin..Rinse and Repeat 22 years and counting.
The only guy I would restructure is Frederick. He is young, on top of his game, has a lot of years left on his contract and has no injury history. But he already has $12M in dead space. This would bump that even higher which is bad for the future cap even if he stays one of the top centers in the game. I would ask Dez to take a pay cut, but I don't think of that as a restructure and I don't think he is going to agree to it. Scandrick and Crawford are both possible cuts, but both are also possible starters or at worst first or second guy off the bench so there is a loss there if they go that route. TWill isn't an option to cut until next year then he is likely gone.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we do keep him, but with his replacement already on the roster AND we save cap by cutting him AND we seem to be headed toward complete overhaul of the WR position leads me to believe Beasley's job is not safe.
i sure the heck hope they aren't considering cutting Beasley. I did not see enough out of Switzer to expect anything out of him close to what Beasley gives. Heck, I think Switzer is 50/50 to make the roster. He wasn't great on returns and didn't do much on Offense. Beasley is key to this team and other teams think so too which is why a slow 5 yard pattern guy was double teamed so often while Dez and others were left in single coverage.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just about any WR is cuttable on this team. But what would be the point of cutting Beasley. We would just spend that money replacing him.
Dez is his own story all on its own.
T-rex I personally cant wait for his cutting.
Beasley might be the last of WRs I would cut. (unless I went complete rebuild mode which this isnt)
Now if some of our young guys come into their own, or draft some stud I could see it. But then again I would get rid of T-rex before Beasley even in that case. I dont see lil' chain mover going anywhere.
Agree. But TWill's 2018 salary is guaranteed. So he isn't going to be cut this year.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also put a first round tender on Irving. If they put the second round tender on him I think he is gone. The first round tender is only $4M and there is a chance that a year from now he and not Lawrence is looked at as our top DL. Regardless the two of them make a nice combination. We cannot lose this guy.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also put a first round tender on Irving. If they put the second round tender on him I think he is gone. The first round tender is only $4M and there is a chance that a year from now he and not Lawrence is looked at as our top DL. Regardless the two of them make a nice combination. We cannot lose this guy.

Jarntt i try not to post here often cause it always turns into a problem but I agree. Dallas really does have a ton of talent on both lines. I think they will contend for a title with a stud DT and Trey Burton :) 5 all pro caliber players on the two lines which is remarkable

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarntt i try not to post here often cause it always turns into a problem but I agree. Dallas really does have a ton of talent on both lines. I think they will contend for a title with a stud DT and Trey Burton :) 5 all pro caliber players on the two lines which is remarkable
They do need someone to help Witten out a little. He just can't play every snap and his blocking fell off last year. I'm not sold on Gathers until he can learn how to play the game a little more. He isn't making the game day roster if he doesn't know his assignments or how to block. Swaim is decent and Hannah is OK, but there is no explosiveness at the position.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why are you here period???

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a lot of non-QBs in this league worth both $17M a year AND two first round draft picks. Usually you can almost replace their talent with the $17M alone and then you still have the two picks to play with.

One thing about Lawrence is the amount of time he has actually excelled on the field isn't that much at this point. He wasn't a first rounder so you don't get the extra year and he had the injuries and other issues. So maybe a one year $17M deal is a good thing for the team. Plus, I love how happy he was to sign it. I'm sick of these Aholes that cry like a baby when they get tagged.

$17 mill is a good deal, for him anyway. His troubles have outweighed most of his good deeds until last year. Was hoping for a friendly discount since the org stuck with him through it all.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some interesting thoughts in this thread, I'll add a few of my own. A few things that make some sense to me...

- Possible cuts could include Hanna and Scandrick as the most obvious targets. Hanna makes too much money for his role. It's time for Scandrick to move aside.

- I'd look to move on from Dez, I honestly think Dak plays better when Dez is not on the field. Dez won't be cut. I wouldn't even bother trying to restructure him as I think he would become totally disgruntled. Instead, this is a put up or shut up year for Dez.

- Agree with restructuring Frederick and no one else.

- In principle it seems like a good idea to cut T.Crawford, but I don't see the point this year. It only frees up a little less than $2m and I don't think you can get a comparable replacement for that money. The bright side to cutting him would be to get the dead money out of the way now.

- 2nd round tender D.Irving and hope another team bites.

- Obviously need to extend Martin.

- If the money is reasonable I'd look to bring back Hitchens. He's been pretty reliable, mostly. Took a step forward last year after coming back from serious injury. Don't know how realistic this is, don't have a clue what his market is.

- Move B.Jones to an outside CB position and let him run.

- S, WR, DT, LB in the draft please!

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some interesting thoughts in this thread, I'll add a few of my own. A few things that make some sense to me...

Interesting. I would much rather have Irving than a 2nd round pick. Heck, I'd rather have Irving than a 1st round pick. I think he is a stud. He went from an inconsistent guy that had huge games and then disappeared in 2016 to a dominant player last year and I think he is even better next year. I'm actually nervous someone else will bite

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanna is not getting paid for his catches. I guess I have to agree that he isn't earning his salary but I'd like to keep him for less. Witten needs to be resting a lot more. It may come down to Smith or Hanna. If we are going to play Hanna at HBack a lot maybe he stays and Smith is gone. If we are going to play Smith a lot and play Witten 90% of the snaps then I guess we go with the cheaper TEs and let Hanna go

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I would much rather have Irving than a 2nd round pick. Heck, I'd rather have Irving than a 1st round pick. I think he is a stud. He went from an inconsistent guy that had huge games and then disappeared in 2016 to a dominant player last year and I think he is even better next year. I'm actually nervous someone else will bite

I like Irving, he can be dominant at times. He just strikes me as the kind of guy who is an injury waiting to happen. Not to mention is one poor decision away from a lengthy suspension. I also can't shake the feeling this guy will get paid and then get lazy - the possibility of handing him a huge contract is a little worrisome. With all his red flags I don't think anyone would jump at a 1st round tender, but a 2nd round tender might be a price teams are willing to pay. I'd like toget something significant for him while we can - Dallas is playing with house money right now, let's play it safe and cash in early rather than too late.

In that scenario I slide Collins back over to 3T, where I think he can be above average. Look for a true run stuffer in free agency and the draft - two of them, sign one and draft one. I liked what I saw from Taco down the stretch last year, and look for him to earn a lot more playing time at RDE. Depth could look something like this..

Taco // FA/Rookie // M.Collins // DLAW
T.Crawford // Rookie/FA // T.Crawford // T.Crawford
Tapper
Gregory

I think Crawford would be best served as a super sub this year. Gregory and Tapper are X-factors, though not to be counted on. You could add another body or two in there if Gregory and Tapper don't work out again.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanna is not getting paid for his catches. I guess I have to agree that he isn't earning his salary but I'd like to keep him for less. Witten needs to be resting a lot more. It may come down to Smith or Hanna. If we are going to play Hanna at HBack a lot maybe he stays and Smith is gone. If we are going to play Smith a lot and play Witten 90% of the snaps then I guess we go with the cheaper TEs and let Hanna go

I'd cut Hanna, and let Swaim absorb a lot of that work. Then incorporate Gathers into the offense for several snaps a game and alleviate some of Wittens work load that way.

I suspect that concussion wasn't what kept Gathers out all season. I tend to think Dallas was using it as a reason to stash him all year. Not sure exactly why, just speculating on my part. I still think Gathers is going to be a player, we will see if Dallas feels the same way - the draft will be a great indicator.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Irving, he can be dominant at times. He just strikes me as the kind of guy who is an injury waiting to happen. Not to mention is one poor decision away from a lengthy suspension. I also can't shake the feeling this guy will get paid and then get lazy - the possibility of handing him a huge contract is a little worrisome. With all his red flags I don't think anyone would jump at a 1st round tender, but a 2nd round tender might be a price teams are willing to pay. I'd like toget something significant for him while we can - Dallas is playing with house money right now, let's play it safe and cash in early rather than too late.

In that scenario I slide Collins back over to 3T, where I think he can be above average. Look for a true run stuffer in free agency and the draft - two of them, sign one and draft one. I liked what I saw from Taco down the stretch last year, and look for him to earn a lot more playing time at RDE. Depth could look something like this..

Taco // 1st rd.Rookie // M.Collins // DLAW
T.Crawford // Rookie/FA // T.Crawford // T.Crawford
Tapper
Gregory

I think Crawford would be best served as a super sub this year. Gregory and Tapper are X-factors, though not to be counted on. You could add another body or two in there if Gregory and Tapper don't work out again.
I like this if something happens with Irving

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

- Possible cuts could include Hanna and Scandrick as the most obvious targets. Hanna makes too much money for his role. It's time for Scandrick to move aside.

- I'd look to move on from Dez, I honestly think Dak plays better when Dez is not on the field. Dez won't be cut. I wouldn't even bother trying to restructure him as I think he would become totally disgruntled. Instead, this is a put up or shut up year for Dez.

- Agree with restructuring Frederick and no one else.

- In principle it seems like a good idea to cut T.Crawford, but I don't see the point this year. It only frees up a little less than $2m and I don't think you can get a comparable replacement for that money. The bright side to cutting him would be to get the dead money out of the way now.

- Obviously need to extend Martin.

- If the money is reasonable I'd look to bring back Hitchens. He's been pretty reliable, mostly. Took a step forward last year after coming back from serious injury. Don't know how realistic this is, don't have a clue what his market is.

- Move B.Jones to an outside CB position and let him run.

- S, WR, DT, LB in the draft please!
Dak does not play better without Dez. When did this happen??? What game? Your really think TW, Butler, and Bease, would be better then having Dez??? The only things I agree with is restructuring Fred and extend Martin.