• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Moves

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw this. I dont get it. Dude has done nothing but put up solid numbers. I had him penciled in with a locked spot on next year’s roster.

:noidea:
They have a bunch of guys coming off the 60 day -- can't keep them on from end of WS to ST -- so they need the roster spot

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melissa Lockard for the Athletic today had a nice write up of the Rule 5 draft. Quick version:

Lock to be protected: Luciano

Strong consideration: Matos, Avila, Cruz, Stryffeler, Beck, Genoves

Other notables: Pomares, Bishop, Wright, Fitzgerald, Teng, Rivera, Smith, Wyatt, Corry, Roby, Toribio, Tostado, Aldrete, Winn, Wong, Hilson, Matheny

She also noted that we have 10 guys on the 60 day, which ends as soon as the WS is over. So our 40 man roster is essentially a 50 man right now. Belt, Alvarez, Miller, and Pedo are going to be FAs, and Rodon will opt out, so that leaves 45. So, quite a few moves to get down below 40 to protect Rule 5 guys.

Last time there was a draft, FZ protected only three guys (Ramos, Hjelle, and RanRod). Speculation is that his approach will be similar this year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melissa Lockard for the Athletic today had a nice write up of the Rule 5 draft. Quick version:

Lock to be protected: Luciano

Strong consideration: Matos, Avila, Cruz, Stryffeler, Beck, Genoves

Other notables: Pomares, Bishop, Wright, Fitzgerald, Teng, Rivera, Smith, Wyatt, Corry, Roby, Toribio, Tostado, Aldrete, Winn, Wong, Hilson, Matheny

She also noted that we have 10 guys on the 60 day, which ends as soon as the WS is over. So our 40 man roster is essentially a 50 man right now. Belt, Alvarez, Miller, and Pedo are going to be FAs, and Rodon will opt out, so that leaves 45. So, quite a few moves to get down below 40 to protect Rule 5 guys.

Last time there was a draft, FZ protected only three guys (Ramos, Hjelle, and RanRod). Speculation is that his approach will be similar this year.
And we have to remind ourselves that just because we don’t protect a guy doesn’t mean he will be lost.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we have to remind ourselves that just because we don’t protect a guy doesn’t mean he will be lost.
Most of those guys on the list won't get drafted if left exposed. There are a couple that I think are a possibility that may be borderline protection candidates.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of those guys on the list won't get drafted if left exposed. There are a couple that I think are a possibility that may be borderline protection candidates.
Luciano is a no-brainer, of course. I can see teams making an investment in Matos or Pomares. I can see Beck, Stryffler, Teng or Corry maybe going to one of the lower tier teams as a flyer.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luciano is a no-brainer, of course. I can see teams making an investment in Matos or Pomares. I can see Beck, Stryffler, Teng or Corry maybe going to one of the lower tier teams as a flyer.
And most flyers return to the original organization. Of course, while fewer teams seem to be drafting, the ones who do seem to hold on longer to their picks (but that is very much speculative).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And most flyers return to the original organization. Of course, while fewer teams seem to be drafting, the ones who do seem to hold on longer to their picks (but that is very much speculative).
When was the last time we had a player drafted then returned? I know we return all the players we draft, I just don’t see it reciprocated.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last time we had a player drafted then returned? I know we return all the players we draft, I just don’t see it reciprocated.
Good question. Its been awhile since a Giant farmhand got drafted in the big league portion of the draft. I want to say that the last guy was Joe Biagini.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when we were debating whether or not we should sign Realmuto ?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Middle infielder
I try to avoid that trope in explaining the “logic”, but seriously, that HAS to be the reason. Nothing else makes sense (not like that reason makes sense).