• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels are blowing up their once-thought-to-be-greatest-rotation-ever, first trading Santana to the Royals, and now Haren to the Cubs for Carlos Marmol. I like it for the Cubs, now they have a true ace, Garza and Samardzija(?) as a solid 1-2-3. And they trade their way over-priced closer for good value.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dHygqDvH.jpg

Now Astros uni/logo.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I just don't get it. Do the Giants not want him back, or are they giving up on bringing him back so they're being nice by not forcing the team that does sign him to give up a draft pick to the Giants? I guess it's nice for Pagan and his new team, but this is a bad move for the Giants.

You could interpret the lack of a QO to mean he's more than likely coming back, since the Giants wouldn't receive compensation in that case anyway. I wonder how Gary Brown is doing in the AFL?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Torii Hunter anyone? Seems to be the odd man out in LAA. Fangraph's crowd sourcing says he can be had for 2/20. Easily can handle LF. 125 OPS+ the last four years. Will be 37 years old in 2013, however. Move Blanco to CF.......

but there is this:

Hunter, a nine-time Gold Glove Award winner who has never played in a World Series, said in July that if he doesn’t return to the Angels, he would consider playing for only three teams, the Yankees, Rangers or Dodgers. Otherwise, he would retire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torii Hunter anyone? Seems to be the odd man out in LAA. Fangraph's crowd sourcing says he can be had for 2/20. Easily can handle LF. 125 OPS+ the last four years. Will be 37 years old in 2013, however. Move Blanco to CF.......

but there is this:

Anyone who would WANT to play for the Dodgers does not belong in Orange and Black.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dHygqDvH.jpg

Now Astros uni/logo.

Back to the orange, I see. With the Giants, Tigers, and O's doing well, orange is en vogue.

The new unis are understated and classic. I like it but it looks like some team from a police officer beer league.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you guys do 5-$100m for Hamilton? Or 4-$56m for Swish? Hamilton is a tough one to judge. Immense talent, would defiantly flip balls into the cove at will, but his will is an issue. Seemed to me like he gave up on the year by September and we all know about his drug problems. It's very risky to invest in a guy like him, but he'd make our lineup scary good and 5 years 100m is a far cry from the 10 year deals people were talking about.

Swish at that price would be tempting, especially since he's proven to hit in Oakland and still isn't too old. Of course, adding these guys would make signing Pagan more difficult.

Haven't seen much of Swisher but his defense in the AL playoffs was cringe-worthy

Bring back Cody the boss Ross

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "Haren to the Cubs" deal fell thru, according to this morning's SJMerc. They claim Haren is now a FA.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seeking Keith Law's Top 50 Free Agents.........

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The "Haren to the Cubs" deal fell thru, according to this morning's SJMerc. They claim Haren is now a FA.

Both Cubs and Red Sox declined to trade for Haren. I guess he's not worth $15.5M.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my initial take too, but then I'm reminded that the core players on the team are a religious bunch. Hamilton could find his Giants teammates supportive and helpful. I might take a chance on him, more so than for Swisher.

If we're taking risks, I'd go with Melky. Cheaper, less downside risk.

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Re-sign: Scutaro 2 ys 2nd yr club option, Pence (arbitration),Melky to a 3 yr club option on 2nd and 3rd year, basically show us you can do it clean.I think both Pagan and Affeldt get contract worth more than they are and we let them go.Hensley,Mota,F Sanchez,Theriot,Penny and Nady all gone.Runzler and the return of B Wilson fill out the BP with Little Bochy and Hembree in reserve.Nick Noonan and Keischnick earn bench spots and we continue with pitching and defense and hopeful timely hitting.
I am not predicting any contract #s
My Lineup would be:
Blanco CF
Scutaro 2B
Cabrera LF
Posey C
Sandoval 3B
Pence RF
Belt 1B
Crawford SS
Pitcher Spot
Rotation:
Cain R
Bumgarner L
Lincecum R
Zito L
Vogelsong R
Bullpen:
Runzler L
Mijares L
Lopez L
Kontos R
Casilla R
Romo R
Wilson R
Bench:
Noonan UTIL
Pill 1B
Keischnick OF
Arias UTIL
H. Sanchez C
Peguero OF

I do not care for any of the high profile FAs and with 2/3 of payroll going to the rotation we cant afford them anyway.

Gary Brown will be the CF eventually...I can see the Giants going with Blanco while Brown starts in AAA.If Blanco struggles through the 1st couple months then maybe Brown get a June call up ala Buster Posey.They need a vet starting pitcher on a minor league deal for injury insurance.No large FA signings and using rookies instead of old vets means payroll doesnt increase by much.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been reading up on the free agent options out there. Thought I'd ask for all of your opinions:

1. Would you pass on Pagan and non-tender Pence and go after Hamilton?

2. As mentioned above, any interest in bringing back Ross to play left field?

3. Who would you prefer, Torii Hunter or Ross?

4. Who would you prefer: Bourn, Pagan, or B.J. Upton?

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been reading up on the free agent options out there. Thought I'd ask for all of your opinions:

1. No. Hamilton is a head case and is proven unclutch in the playoffs. Plus he would cost too much.
2. I wouldn't mind seeing Ross back here. I guess that would mean no to either Pagan or Pence though.
3. Ross.
4. Pagan - but I'm a homer, I want all the champions back. Bourne would be tempting though, but he strikes out a ton. Not interested in Upton at all.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. No

2. No

3. Hunter (the man can still hit, and is a great leader)

4. Oxy (Bourn will be too expensive, and Upton is intriguing, but too inconsistent)

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

+8. To add to the Ross discussion, that ship has sailed. Put him back in The Phone Booth and prepare to be frustrated. Plus, they'd be buying him back at the peak of his value, and Hunter is a Sabean-type pick-up. I'd prefer Melky, but would understand Torii. Cody? Not so much.