• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree. And I also think that if a team offers Oxy 5/60 he should take it and I wish him good luck. No more albatross contracts. We just got rid of RoRo and Huffer, and Zeets comes off the books next year. The Gs are a model of smart spending and astute signings, no way we give Oxy more than 3 years.

I think Pagan will get at least a three year offer from someone. I'm guessing you would not match the years. I think I'd pass too. Too much new supply coming on the market in a couple of years.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Pagan will get at least a three year offer from someone. I'm guessing you would not match the years. I think I'd pass too. Too much new supply coming on the market in a couple of years.

That's the crux: the fourth year. I agree other teams are going to offer three years. I think the Gs should sign him for three years, between 25-30MM. I'm not sure another team is going to make a four year offer.

All of which makes the decision to not make the QO to him very strange. There seems to be no downside risk to it and if your theory is correct then SabeySabes must be pretty sure he's going to get Angel to re-sign.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't disagree that LK is an idiot, but I think he makes a fair point this time. Not Vogey's best moment.

Not to beat a dead horse on Kreuger, but what point is he making? That Vogs should be mindful over disposition judgement when people may not know the situation? Fundamental attribution error at its finest. He should've just STFU and let it slide, but he couldn't, because he's a dumb radio jock.

Man, I do wish Pagan negotiates with the Giants. Would 2/24 stick? I'm just throwing darts blindly.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not to beat a dead horse on Kreuger, but what point is he making? That Vogs should be mindful over disposition judgement when people may not know the situation? Fundamental attribution error at its finest. He should've just STFU and let it slide, but he couldn't, because he's a dumb radio jock.

Man, I do wish Pagan negotiates with the Giants. Would 2/24 stick? I'm just throwing darts blindly.

If 3/30 is the market, then 2/24 is getting close. Might as well throw a third year mutual option in there to make it thirty, with a 2M buyout.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's the crux: the fourth year. I agree other teams are going to offer three years. I think the Gs should sign him for three years, between 25-30MM. I'm not sure another team is going to make a four year offer.

All of which makes the decision to not make the QO to him very strange. There seems to be no downside risk to it and if your theory is correct then SabeySabes must be pretty sure he's going to get Angel to re-sign.

Even three years scares me. I'd prefer that third year to be an option year, basically structured like the Huff deal.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also needs to be willing to shift to a corner if Brown shows up. Pagan is really just a really good seat warmer and he needs to understand that (to exaggerate to make a point).

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He also needs to be willing to shift to a corner if Brown shows up. Pagan is really just a really good seat warmer and he needs to understand that (to exaggerate to make a point).

And that's why his value to the Giants is likely to decline sharply after 2013.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of left handed Giants power bats, let's root on our Japanese brethren and old friend, John Bowker

Go Giants!

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of left handed Giants power bats, let's root on our Japanese brethren and old friend, John Bowker

Go Giants!

Clutch in the playoffs! 2 HR 7rbi... Too bad he hit .195 with 3 HR and only 10rbi in 69 regular season games. Damn baseball why you so hard?!

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clutch in the playoffs! 2 HR 7rbi... Too bad he hit .195 with 3 HR and only 10rbi in 69 regular season games. Damn baseball why you so hard?!

Edgar Bowkeria?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fangraph's Crowd Sourcing FA Estimates:

Code:
Player		Pos	Yrs	$Tot 	———-	Yrs	AAV	Ystd	Astd
Angel Pagan	CF	3	30	|	3.2	10.1	0.8	3.9
Marco Scutaro	SS	2	16	|	2.3	7.8	0.7	3.7
Melky Cabrera	COF	2	16	|	1.7	8.2	1.1	3.7
Jeremy Affeldt	LHRP	2	10	|	2.0	5.3	0.7	2.3
Freddy Sanchez	2B	1	3	|	1.2	3.1	0.7	3.1

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you guys do 5-$100m for Hamilton? Or 4-$56m for Swish? Hamilton is a tough one to judge. Immense talent, would defiantly flip balls into the cove at will, but his will is an issue. Seemed to me like he gave up on the year by September and we all know about his drug problems. It's very risky to invest in a guy like him, but he'd make our lineup scary good and 5 years 100m is a far cry from the 10 year deals people were talking about.

Swish at that price would be tempting, especially since he's proven to hit in Oakland and still isn't too old. Of course, adding these guys would make signing Pagan more difficult.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you guys do 5-$100m for Hamilton? Or 4-$56m for Swish? Hamilton is a tough one to judge. Immense talent, would defiantly flip balls into the cove at will, but his will is an issue. Seemed to me like he gave up on the year by September and we all know about his drug problems. It's very risky to invest in a guy like him, but he'd make our lineup scary good and 5 years 100m is a far cry from the 10 year deals people were talking about.

Swish at that price would be tempting, especially since he's proven to hit in Oakland and still isn't too old. Of course, adding these guys would make signing Pagan more difficult.

Hell no on Hamilton. If he has a problem in Texas with drugs, what's it going to be like when temptation is knocking at his door until 4am in SF? Plus, he's been injury prone playing in a warmer climate. Like you said, he's an immense talent, but a $.10 head with a spotty histroy.

I'd be open to Swisher, but not at that price tag (I'm not saying he's not worth it, I just wouldn't want to waste that much money on him).

This is a really shitty year for FA's.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hell no on Hamilton. If he has a problem in Texas with drugs, what's it going to be like when temptation is knocking at his door until 4am in SF? Plus, he's been injury prone playing in a warmer climate. Like you said, he's an immense talent, but a $.10 head with a spotty histroy.

I'd be open to Swisher, but not at that price tag (I'm not saying he's not worth it, I just wouldn't want to waste that much money on him).

That's my initial take too, but then I'm reminded that the core players on the team are a religious bunch. Hamilton could find his Giants teammates supportive and helpful. I might take a chance on him, more so than for Swisher.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very true, Sabean likely won't do anything (as we always know) except sign up his own guys. Having Blanco as a starting OF still scares me a bit, and I'm not convinced we are bringing Melky back. Assuming Pagan returns, I think we need to still fill LF with someone other than Blanco. I was hoping for Quentin before he signed. My preference would be Melky, then Swisher (even at that price), not sure how Sabean sees it.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my initial take too, but then I'm reminded that the core players on the team are a religious bunch. Hamilton could find his Giants teammates supportive and helpful. I might take a chance on him, more so than for Swisher.

If they bring Affeldt back, he could be huge for Hamilton.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I think it's a way for the team to let Pagan know that they aren't going to low ball him by limiting the market for him. It's a goodwill gesture, IMO.

I just don't get it. Do the Giants not want him back, or are they giving up on bringing him back so they're being nice by not forcing the team that does sign him to give up a draft pick to the Giants? I guess it's nice for Pagan and his new team, but this is a bad move for the Giants.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe it's a good thing for us that it's a shitty year for FA's. It will make it harder for the Dodgers to buy a championship.