• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whose fault is THIS??

John Blake@RangerBlake
Rangers sign free agent RH reliever Jason Frasor to one year contract. C Eli Whiteside designated for assignment to make room on roster.

Maybe we should claim him and DFA Rosario...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it may be a sailed ship, but with the Nats signing LaRoche and acquiring Span, Morse is left out of the equation. He'd be a fine option in LF IMO, but at what cost?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little January slow news day love:

posey-3.gif

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it may be a sailed ship, but with the Nats signing LaRoche and acquiring Span, Morse is left out of the equation. He'd be a fine option in LF IMO, but at what cost?

Meh...he's a liablility in the OF. As a bench player I could see it, but his offense is almost completely offset by his poor d.

Also, 16 walks....97 Ks. He's a hack clomper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh...he's a liablility in the OF. As a bench player I could see it, but his offense is almost completely offset by his poor d.

... and he is 30. Obviously, that isn't excessively old, but if they want a lefty reliever and prospects (as reported by mlbtraderumors.com), it doesn't seem worth it.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
... and he is 30. Obviously, that isn't excessively old, but if they want a lefty reliever and prospects (as reported by mlbtraderumors.com), it doesn't seem worth it.

I'd give up Runzler, a lefty reliever and a prospect wrapped up up in one player.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankass looking to acquire Morse now. Makes sense with that stupid fucking DH rule.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was about to bring up that PTMFB was a defensive liability, but in 2010 he was actually positive URZ (according to fangraphs) for only the second time in his career. Does someone want to explain to me if Torres was a direct reason for this since Torres seemed to catch anything in the OF that season, maybe inflating Burrell's stats. Or was it just a fluke?

In any case, would a Blaco/Morse platoon fix some of those problems? I'd give up Runzler and take a shot.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was about to bring up that PTMFB was a defensive liability, but in 2010 he was actually positive URZ (according to fangraphs) for only the second time in his career. Does someone want to explain to me if Torres was a direct reason for this since Torres seemed to catch anything in the OF that season, maybe inflating Burrell's stats. Or was it just a fluke?

In any case, would a Blaco/Morse platoon fix some of those problems? I'd give up Runzler and take a shot.

He's going to get more in return than Runzler, especially to a DH team where he can put up 2+ oWAR without the -1.5 dWAR. NL is just not as good a fit as the AL.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Possibly. UZR assumes a neutral positioning for outfielders. So, if Burrell cheats towards the LF line and Torres covers the gap, then he could get credit for more range than he actually possesses, i.e by recording outs along the line. Alternately, if the Giants pitchers induce more lazy fly balls than an average pitching staff, then his defensive numbers could be inflated. UZR relies on stringers to record flay ball characteristics so there's some room for systematic bias. Bottom line, trust your eyes.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He's going to get more in return than Runzler, especially to a DH team where he can put up 2+ oWAR without the -1.5 dWAR. NL is just not as good a fit as the AL.

Agreed.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly. UZR assumes a neutral positioning for outfielders. So, if Burrell cheats towards the LF line and Torres covers the gap, then he could get credit for more range than he actually possesses, i.e by recording outs along the line. Alternately, if the Giants pitchers induce more lazy fly balls than an average pitching staff, then his defensive numbers could be inflated. UZR relies on stringers to record flay ball characteristics so there's some room for systematic bias. Bottom line, trust your eyes.

My eyes see Burrell being OK, but Torres being a vacuum. I have not seen enough of Morse.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buster Olney of ESPN.com (Insider sub. req'd) doesn't see the Nationals getting much for Morse. The 30-year-old is eligible for free agency next fall and GMs aren't eager to give up good prospects for a player in that situation. Some GMs have told Olney privately that while they like Morse, they can't see surrendering much for him due to his defensive shortcomings and lengthy injury history.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Wilson has been working out for the Mets and it appears they are interested in him. Is there anything you guys have heard regarding his injury/rehab that should make me worry about this? If we got him relatively cheap it seems like a gamble worth taking.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Wilson has been working out for the Mets and it appears they are interested in him. Is there anything you guys have heard regarding his injury/rehab that should make me worry about this? If we got him relatively cheap it seems like a gamble worth taking.

I think you know everything that we would know. It's his second Tommy John, and he should be able to throw off of a mound by June. 1 year/$3 mil with appearance incentives would be a smart investment, in my opinion. Anything more than that... good luck (hope it sends Hairston to the Giants or AL).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What Heath said. However, he is a HUGE personality, and I would be concerned taking that into a new clubhouse. He fits in the Giants clubhouse because grew into his personality role here. Adding it as-is into an existing clubhouse may be like pouring scalding hot water on your windshield in the AM to clear the ice...

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you know everything that we would know. It's his second Tommy John, and he should be able to throw off of a mound by June. 1 year/$3 mil with appearance incentives would be a smart investment, in my opinion. Anything more than that... good luck (hope it sends Hairston to the Giants or AL).

That's what I figured. Ideally I would like 2 years with a club option for a 3rd. Year 1 is a throw away year for us anyway so let him work out the kinks, if he sucks in year 2 then you let him go. If nothing else he'll make for a good cheerleader.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Heath said. However, he is a HUGE personality, and I would be concerned taking that into a new clubhouse. He fits in the Giants clubhouse because grew into his personality role here. Adding it as-is into an existing clubhouse may be like pouring scalding hot water on your windshield in the AM to clear the ice...

True, although if there is a place where big personalities fit in, it's New York. Considering at the moment the Mets don't have much of a personality and Wilson will most likely be trying to prove something I'm ok with the risk.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If he's relatively cheap, the Giants will re-sign him.