• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly. All the Melky quotes were interesting to read.

My favorite from the list is the last one:

“I was looking slider,” Miguel Cabrera. :first:

RomoCabrera2.gif.opt_.gif

:yo:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly. All the Melky quotes were interesting to read.

My favorite from the list is the last one:

“I was looking slider,” Miguel Cabrera. :first:

Also:

“Growing up a Giants fan, this is just a dream come true. This is always where I wanted to be and how I imagined it,” Crawford, on the Giants clinching a postseason spot.

Just a reason Crawford is one of my favorites, he's just a hometown guy.

and

“Beat L.A., that’s what they say. We want to knock them out,” Pagan, a night before the Giants eliminated the Dodgers from the Wild Card race.

Can't wait to see the fire this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BWeez down to five teams that he'll consider. No mention if SF is one of those teams, but I'd think that's a slam dunk.

Wilson narrows list of preferred teams | CSN Bay Area

So what's your prediction t? You think the Giants are willing to pony up more money for Wilson?

I guess we'd have to answer this one first: can Romo close over an entire season? I love Romo, but I'd feel much more comfortable with him getting the occasional save opportunity but generally seen in the 8th inning. There has always been a concern that with Romo's size, his body would/does breakdown with overuse.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's your prediction t? You think the Giants are willing to pony up more money for Wilson?

I guess we'd have to answer this one first: can Romo close over an entire season? I love Romo, but I'd feel much more comfortable with him getting the occasional save opportunity but generally seen in the 8th inning. There has always been a concern that with Romo's size, his body would/does breakdown with overuse.

I have the same concerns about Romo, and also that at some point, batters are going to "figure out" his slider.

There is always Casilla - even Wilson struggled with the closer role early on, then got much better. Perhaps it is the same with Casilla - he certainly has the stuff to be a good closer.

The committee approach is also viable (Afffeldt, Mijares, maybe include Hembree and Bochy).

While we all would love to see Weezy return to 2010 form and love him for what he brings to the team, he just is not worth the big price. We don't need to take the risk on him - we have too many "safer" alternatives.

Certainly one thing 2012 showed is that the Giants are now bigger than the sum of their parts. No one really is non-expendable, as long as there would be compensation, although Posey certainly comes close.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think once he realizes that nobody is going to give him a multiyear deal, he'll be back with the Giants for the deal already offered ($3MM plus incentives and a vesting option for 2014 based on appearances).

We'll see, but I'm optimistic.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think once he realizes that nobody is going to give him a multiyear deal, he'll be back with the Giants for the deal already offered ($3MM plus incentives and a vesting option for 2014 based on appearances).

OK, what did you do with the REAL tzill?

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, I hope that the Giants would say "Yes, that's the deal we offered you 6 weeks ago. But since then we've signed several guys and no longer have the money for that contract. We CAN offer you this one, though (lower base pay, similar incentives, a cheap option year with incentives)".

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I hope that the Giants would say "Yes, that's the deal we offered you 6 weeks ago. But since then we've signed several guys and no longer have the money for that contract. We CAN offer you this one, though (lower base pay, similar incentives, a cheap option year with incentives)".

I don't see the FO doing that. I think they'd honor that contract. If it was good enough 6 weeks ago, it's good enough now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadowski probably fits in as the #7 or #8 SP. Proctor, I have no idea why he was signed.

The Giants also sign pitchers to actually pitch for the Grizzlies, with no real expectation that they'll make the big league team, as well as being the emergency backups in case of injury. If they *do* impress in AAA and get called up so much the better, but Fresno needs 11-12 pitchers every season as well, and the Giants sign such every off-season.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whose fault is THIS??

John Blake@RangerBlake
Rangers sign free agent RH reliever Jason Frasor to one year contract. C Eli Whiteside designated for assignment to make room on roster.