• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your caveat, but I also dismiss it.

STOP...

HAMMER TIME!

Its-Hammer-Time.png

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And an improved Belt and Crawford. Belt was inconsistent last year, but REALLY showed signs of breaking out and beginning to understand the MLB game. Crawford, I think, has the potential to be more Scutaro than Scutaro ever was. He consistently puts up some of the BEST ABs on the team.

Agree. It's obvious Schoenfield built the narrative and then bias confirmed it. Sloppy and amateurish.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't resist ... and I tried ....

1. In our worst 8 games we had a run differential of -72. Didn't help the spread any
2. We were 30-20 in one run games. We have a pen that can hold leads and also keep us in the game till we can take the lead. Good teams win their share of one run games
3. Jerk! At the very end he shows a chart that 4-5 prior WS teams hit the playoffs the following year. We were the only one that didn't. Of course losing Posey never eneter the equation. Repeating is VERY difficult. You need more than just skill and talent. You have to have your share of good luck
4. The Cabera effect is still under investigation. We did have him for 113 games last year. It's not a matter of do we need to replace that offense. It's more of how?
5. Always easy to go after a winner and take shots. But in the end we are still WS Champions
6. He may be over-rated but he sure as hell isn't as bad as he look playing for us. His career stats still iondicate he is better than what we have seen so far
7. Interesting ... Posey isn't a 336 hitter but I guess Pence is a 240 hitter. His values only seem to apply in one direction.
8. You can say that about all rotations. Any pitcher at any time can get hurt.
9. Brilliant insight. Our entire board is well aware that we will never see the 2008 Timmy again. I do thank him for that wonderful baseball insight
10. That's just the way it is. WS Champions 'tune' while everyone around them goes through some form of an 'overhaul'.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Breaking!

Dodgers shopping Ethier to open a spot for michael bourn.

From Ken Rosenthal.

I sure as shit hope both of these things happen. Ethier is by no means a superstar, but he is not a declining player.

Bourn, on the other hand, just had a career year. He is going to turn that into a BIG mofo-ing contract. The guy's entire reason for being in the majors can be summed up in one word: speed. Since the guy is already in his early 30s, he is not going to have the speed he once possessed and will no longer be anywhere remotely close to worth the contract he is about to sign.

So please, let the Doggies trade Ethier and add Bourn. It might look good in 2013. Possibly even 2014 as well. But past that, it is going to be one of the biggest albatross contracts in the majors. And I hope Secret Agent Ned is successful in getting that deal done.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure as shit hope both of these things happen. Ethier is by no means a superstar, but he is not a declining player.

Bourn, on the other hand, just had a career year. He is going to turn that into a BIG mofo-ing contract. The guy's entire reason for being in the majors can be summed up in one word: speed. Since the guy is already in his early 30s, he is not going to have the speed he once possessed and will no longer be anywhere remotely close to worth the contract he is about to sign.

So please, let the Doggies trade Ethier and add Bourn. It might look good in 2013. Possibly even 2014 as well. But past that, it is going to be one of the biggest albatross contracts in the majors. And I hope Secret Agent Ned is successful in getting that deal done.

The prob with this logic is that OUR window is 2013 and 1014. The doggies will get the good years durring our sweet-spot. By the time they begin to "pay the piper", we will be in our decline...

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The prob with this logic is that OUR window is 2013 and 1014. The doggies will get the good years durring our sweet-spot. By the time they begin to "pay the piper", we will be in our decline...

...and really, it's a toss up whose contract will be the bigger "albatross" - as if that word even has any traction when we're discussing the Dodgers. Either way, Ethier is a declining player, who soon will be a very expensive lefty part of a platoon. He's a nice complementary player, but there is no way he is worth ~100M through 2018. There will be trouble when the Dodgers start to limit his plate appearances to ensure his 2018 option will not vest.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then there's this:

Mariners, Angels To Swap Morales, Vargas: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Further evidence that the Angels are losing it. Just me, or is this a complete heist for the M's?

Love it for the M's, Vargas is a good pitcher but nothing spectacular. Morales, with the fences coming in, is a great option that doesn't cost them much. They could still sign Bourn and have a very respectable offense. They can also dangle Smoak to get a young pitcher right back.

There are a lot of good teams out there.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love it for the M's, Vargas is a good pitcher but nothing spectacular. Morales, with the fences coming in, is a great option that doesn't cost them much. They could still sign Bourn and have a very respectable offense. They can also dangle Smoak to get a young pitcher right back.

There are a lot of good teams out there.

Maybe this is our chance to right a long-ago wrong...

Would they do Posey for Smoak?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And then there's this:

Mariners, Angels To Swap Morales, Vargas: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Further evidence that the Angels are losing it. Just me, or is this a complete heist for the M's?

Jeff Sullivan responds:

The Angels got a thing they wanted for a thing they didn’t have a real use for. The Mariners got a thing they wanted for a thing they didn’t mind giving up. If neither player works out, they’ll become free agents next fall. The big winner here is Peter Bourjos, who’s going to start and who stands a chance of flourishing. And the only-slightly-less-big winner here is Jason Vargas, who’s going from a good situation to a good situation and a contending roster. The Angels still might not be the best team in the American League West, but they’re actively addressing all their problems.

Seems like the Angels could have held out for a better pitcher, but if that's true, why didn't another club step up with one? It wasn't a secret what Dipoto was looking for.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timmeh cut his hair, will now look more like Timmy.

Really? Wow, that is going to be weird.

I think it is a good thing, though. It is a sign that he may be getting a bit more professional and HOPEFULLY a sign that he is growing up and will work 12 months a year instead of taking the off-seasons off.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Wow, that is going to be weird.

I think it is a good thing, though. It is a sign that he may be getting a bit more professional and HOPEFULLY a sign that he is growing up and will work 12 months a year instead of taking the off-seasons off.

Yeah, not taking the HGH last off-season really hurt him in 2012 - he just wasn't "game ready" on opening day.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

In the third pic, the nose looks like it is attached to the glasses