• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I believe the Angels pick now belongs to the Rangers. So the Giants don't move up at all.

It appears that the latest CBA changed not just how compensation draft picks are earned, but how they are implemented. All compensation picks are now during a supplemental round between the first and second rounds - the team losing a player no longer gets the other team's pick.

Or so it appears from the "summary" that major league baseball circulated - this is the first draft where the new rules will be implemented, so we'll see.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears that the latest CBA changed not just how compensation draft picks are earned, but how they are implemented. All compensation picks are now during a supplemental round between the first and second rounds - the team losing a player no longer gets the other team's pick.

Or so it appears from the "summary" that major league baseball circulated - this is the first draft where the new rules will be implemented, so we'll see.

From what I understand if a player is traded during the season & signs somewhere else the team acquiring said player doesn't receive any compensation pick whatsoever. Also, from what I gathered only the first 8 or 9 picks are protected. We also know the Pirates will have two picks in the 1st round this year because they didn't sign the kid out of Stanford.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I understand if a player is traded during the season & signs somewhere else the team acquiring said player doesn't receive any compensation pick whatsoever. Also, from what I gathered only the first 8 or 9 picks are protected. We also know the Pirates will have two picks in the 1st round this year because they didn't sign the kid out of Stanford.

It was the old system where the former team would receive the signing teams first rounder. This is no longer the case.

Now, if a player spent the entire season with one team, was offered a qualified offer and refused said offer, then the signing team forfeits their first plunder (or second rounder if they have a protected pick) and the old team receives a comp pick between rounds 1 and 2. In this new system, the signing teams forfeited pick just disappears.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the old system where the former team would receive the signing teams first rounder. This is no longer the case.

Now, if a player spent the entire season with one team, was offered a qualified offer and refused said offer, then the signing team forfeits their first plunder (or second rounder if they have a protected pick) and the old team receives a comp pick between rounds 1 and 2. In this new system, the signing teams forfeited pick just disappears.

I know this was done because big market teams were getting more 1st round picks, but I don't see how it really helps the small market teams. Fewer picks in the 1st round just means more sandwich picks.

So Atlanta lost their pick for Upton. The Dodgers lost their pick for Greinke. Boston will lose a 2nd round pick for Napoli right, because their 1st is protected? The Rangers are going to have a lot of early picks in this draft & they already have a stacked farm system. They'll get another pick for Mike Adams.

I just don't see how this system is any better than the previous one.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this was done because big market teams were getting more 1st round picks, but I don't see how it really helps the small market teams. Fewer picks in the 1st round just means more sandwich picks.

So Atlanta lost their pick for Upton. The Dodgers lost their pick for Greinke. Boston will lose a 2nd round pick for Napoli right, because their 1st is protected? The Rangers are going to have a lot of early picks in this draft & they already have a stacked farm system. They'll get another pick for Mike Adams.

In the old system, the team losing the player would receive the pick lost by the signing team, AND, depending on the player, a sandwich pick as well. In order to qualify for this compensation, all a team would need to do was offer the FA player arbitration. This lead to lots of relievers getting arbitration and their FA market completely drying up because a reliever was rarely worth losi a 1st rounder for.

Now, in order to be eligible receive the compensation, the team must offer a "qualified offer", which is the average MLB salary of the top 125 players (this year that worked out to be $13.3M). There were only about 8 players that got that offer. Also, the player had to have been on the same team for the entire season. Therefore, Greinke was not eligible for the QO and the doggies do not lose their pick and the Angels do not get a comp pick. Also, Mike Adams, being a setup guy, did not get a QO so the Rangers will not get any compensation if/when he signs elsewhere.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was only addressing the compensation picks for losing a player to free agency in my previous post - sorry if I wasn't clear. There is also a new draft lottery ("Competitive Balance Lottery") specifically reserved for teams with the lowest revenues and in the smallest markets. 6 additional picks just after the first round will be awarded by lottery. Also, any of the above teams which doesn't win one of the 6 picks as well as all other teams receiving money due to revenue sharing will be entered into a lottery for 6 picks immediately following the second round.

Also, there are now penalties for spending too much money in the draft, which is supposed to help the smaller market teams (and keep draft costs down for all teams, of course).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I believe the Angels pick now belongs to the Rangers. So the Giants don't move up at all.

Nope. The Angels lose their pick. The Rangers get a supplementary pick after the first round.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was only addressing the compensation picks for losing a player to free agency in my previous post - sorry if I wasn't clear. There is also a new draft lottery ("Competitive Balance Lottery") specifically reserved for teams with the lowest revenues and in the smallest markets. 6 additional picks just after the first round will be awarded by lottery. Also, any of the above teams which doesn't win one of the 6 picks as well as all other teams receiving money due to revenue sharing will be entered into a lottery for 6 picks immediately following the second round.

Also, there are now penalties for spending too much money in the draft, which is supposed to help the smaller market teams (and keep draft costs down for all teams, of course).

The more picks you have the more money you have to spend on draft picks. The Marlins acquired the Pirates Competitive balance pick in a trade at the deadline.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. The Angels lose their pick. The Rangers get a supplementary pick after the first round.

Hamilton will probably be worth 2 picks. Napoli is worth 1. Adams is worth 1. Uehara is worth 1. I don't know if Scott Feldman will give the Rangers a pick or not, but he signed with the Cubs. That's at least 5 extra picks for a team that can spend with almost anyone, if they want too.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamilton will probably be worth 2 picks. Napoli is worth 1. Adams is worth 1. Uehara is worth 1. I don't know if Scott Feldman will give the Rangers a pick or not, but he signed with the Cubs. That's at least 5 extra picks for a team that can spend with almost anyone, if they want too.

Dude, that's the OLD system.

All nine players turn down qualifying offers | MLB.com: News

Only 9 players qualify for comp picks this year. Upton and Hamilton are the only players so far to trigger comp picks.

Napoli, Adams, etc do NOT get the Rangers any compensation.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nope. No player is worth more than one supplemental pick. And there are only 9 such players this year. Bourne, Hamilton, Kuroda, LaRoche, Loshe, Ortiz, Soriano, Swisher, Upton.

Bourne, LaRoche, Lohse, Soriano and Swisher are still FAs.
Kuroda and Ortiz re-signed with their original clubs, so no picks added or lost.
Hamilton resulted in the Angels forfeiting their first rounder and the Rangers getting a supplemental pick; Upton lost the Braves their first rounder and the Rays received a supplemental pick.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants sign Santiago Casilla 3 years, $15 million with a 4th year vesting option, avoiding arbitration and extending it two more years. This was Casilla's final year of arbitration before becoming a free agent, buying out at least 2 years. Exact terms aren't yet known. He was projected to make $5.4 million in arbitration. He is 32.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/giants-casilla-agree-to-three-year-deal.html

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another dumpster dive. We've come to expect these from Sabes now.

Minor Moves: Marlins, Albaladejo, Giants: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Herrera is an extreme longshot to ever make it to the bigs. Organizational depth, as they say.

Herrera has never seen a week in AAA, let alone a day in the majors. He has had two major injuries, keeping him out of professional baseball two entire seasons -- 2006 and 2011, the first time for TJS. His great stat lines went away with his promotion to Advanced A, and his last outstanding season was 2005, in A-ball. He has also had recurring hamstring problems, and a PED strike against him already. Plus he has very poor contact skills; he just can't avoid the strikeouts, even though he was playing in an Independent League in 2012. At least he raked in the independent league, but he's 28 next season, old for having never made the majors, ever.

BA's last profile of him in 2006 noted that he was a bit lazy in recovering from his TJS and a bit lackadaisical on the field, lacking emotion.

Pure flyer.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Breaking!

Dodgers shopping Ethier to open a spot for michael bourn.

From Ken Rosenthal.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants sign Santiago Casilla 3 years, $15 million with a 4th year vesting option, avoiding arbitration and extending it two more years. This was Casilla's final year of arbitration before becoming a free agent, buying out at least 2 years. Exact terms aren't yet known. He was projected to make $5.4 million in arbitration. He is 32.

Giants, Casilla Agree To Three-Year Deal: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Not a bad signing. I must admit, I always thought Casilla was younger than 32 though. I would have preferred 2 years $11M or something similar, but I trust Sabey-Sabes and crew with BP arms (pitching in general).

I still wonder if BWeezy will come back or if that fence is unmendable (not sure if that's even a word :heh:).

Still wouldn't mind adding somebody like Porcello (as long man/spot starter) and a RHH OF'er (and yes I know Torres hits LHP well or at least he did last year) like Boesch to comete with Kieschnick.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breaking!

Dodgers shopping Ethier to open a spot for michael bourn.

From Ken Rosenthal.

If I were the Dodgers, right now I'd be hoping that the Mayans were right about the 21st. They're spending stupid money on contracts that are questionable even if the players remain serviceable over the lifetime of said contract.