• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Before my time, so I cannot argue the comparison, but on the surface, it seems about right.

Actually, mine too, but my grandpa told me all the stories. Gotta get SF11704 to offer an opinion.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AND...

The Angels lose their first rounder, so the Giants move from #27 to #26...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still wouldn't mind having a RHH Platoon partner for Blanco, but it's nice to have Towers back just because he can backup CF too in a pinch if Pagan needs a break. Glad to have him back. Now go give a camp invite to Boesch.

Welcome back Andres!

I think that's exactly the plan with Towers. His sOPS+ vs. LHP is 106, and vs. LH starters it's 124 (296/394/414). He'll start in LF vs. LHP and get the occasional start in CF as well. The problem is that Blanco isn't very good vs. RHP....

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I'm with you. It's not the answer. Combining a fourth and fifth outfielder does not add up to a starter. If this is the way it stays, LF is still likely to be an offensive drag in 2013.

I think we'll get starter level production on days lefties start against us. I agree Blanco is not the LHH answer vs. righties.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, I'm in the same boat. I'm just happy to have a guy who can play all three OF spots at a very high level defensively for $2M. If he is the platoon partner for Blanco come 2013, I will be nervous about it for sure. Like I said in my earlier post I hope they give a non-roster invite to a guy like Brennan Boesch or someone of that ilk (I also wanted somebody like Jonny Gomes before he signed with the Red Sox). I think this signing is more of a telling tale of what a guy like Hairston is asking for (and a little bit of insurance).

I think most so far are just happy that a popular player and excellent defender is back in the fold as a (hopefully) 5th outfielder.

EDIT: also, like gp and msg said above me, I would think/hope that they're still looking for a good platoon partner for Torres.

fify.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminds me of:

Mays
McCovey
Cepeda
Hart

1964 Giants. I was all of 18 then .... so I would have followed this team ..... the most interesting fact (IMHO) about the 1964 team was that they had Duke Snider on the team that year (not sure how the hell they got him but they did and I think it was his last) ... this was the end to the days of "Willie, Mickey and the Duke" An iconic Dodger CF now playing for the Giants .... who would have thought!

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm never gonna get that Giants vs Mariners world series, am I?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm never gonna get that Giants vs Mariners world series, am I?

I thout Seattle would have been a great destination for Hamilton. A small market team that has a very strong family feel. He still would have made more money than he ever would be able to spend in 5 lifetimes.

At the same time, OC is NOT LA. Maybe the Angels were the best of the "big market teams" that he could have gone to.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my opinion on Torres. This guy genuinely wanted to come back to SF since the day they traded him. This move reminds me of an SI article I just read about Willie McCovey, that was written early 1977, which was the season he signed back with the Giants on a minor league deal after he was traded to SD 3 years prior. He was saying how he never fit in the San Diego clubhouse, and he was finding anyway possible to come back to San Francisco. He had 3 underwhelming years there, and Oakland for a month in September. When he signed a deal to return, he had to fight for his job but he was just happy to be back. The first 3 games back in Candlestick, they sold out every game and the chants rang though the park for McCovey. He ended up getting MVP votes that season.

Torres wanted to come back, and he's going to come in in top shape and fight for a starting job. I'm not saying he's going to get MVP votes, but I think he's going to have a solid year. Very least, he plays fantastic D at all 3 OF spots as a super OFer.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's exactly the plan with Towers. His sOPS+ vs. LHP is 106, and vs. LH starters it's 124 (296/394/414). He'll start in LF vs. LHP and get the occasional start in CF as well. The problem is that Blanco isn't very good vs. RHP....

And he'll make a great pinch runner. Which might not seem like a big deal until one remembers that Bochy was using a $115 mm pinch runner in the person of Matt Cain on multiple occasions this year.

What could possibly go wrong, you ask?

images

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thout Seattle would have been a great destination for Hamilton. A small market team that has a very strong family feel. He still would have made more money than he ever would be able to spend in 5 lifetimes.

At the same time, OC is NOT LA. Maybe the Angels were the best of the "big market teams" that he could have gone to.

I would also venture that, all else being equal, he would prefer to play on a proven contender. And I agree, Anaheim is not LA. It's merely the center of the urban sprawl known as Orange County.

If I were the Angels, I would hire someone for $100k whose sole duty would be to keep Hamilton out of trouble.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an outsider looking in, I feel the same way. However, there is a HUGE difference between AAA and MLB (thus the mythical AAAA player).

I trust the org to know their players better than I do. If they do not trust Kieshnick with a relatively un-blocked path to roster spot, I have to believe they know more than I do.

At $2M, though, you have to believe that Towers has a guarenteed roster spot.

Not necessarily. If he totally sucks in ST and he is cut in early spring training, he's only owed 30 days pay (~ $350K). If he's cut during the last 16 days of ST, he's only owed 45 days pay (~ $525K).

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mattingly already throwing out the "pressure" card.....
$$$$$$$

No offense to Donny Baseball, he seems like a great, down-to-Earth guy, but I'd prefer my manager to say "we welcome the expectations, we feel like we have a great team here, we just have to come together and get it done now". Small gripe I realize, but still.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, mine too, but my grandpa told me all the stories. Gotta get SF11704 to offer an opinion.

Interesting perspective here .... I was 18 back in 1964 when all four of these guys played together. I think what's really different is the time. 2012 versus 1964. As a fan back then we didn't have the electronic capabilities that are at our finger tips today. Couldn't really compare team versus team or player versus player without a major effort of going through printed materials and usually access to a local library. Couldn't easily put Mays, McCovey, Cepeda and Hart into any emperical comparison with other team's 'heart of the order'. I also think that as an 18 my view of baseball was quite different than it s now. At 18 I never thought much about overall statistics. Just the big three: HR, RBI and BA. The word WAR didn't exist in my vocabulary. Pretty much came down to raw talent. Willie May was probably the most complete player I had seen. Guess what we call a 5 tool player today. But, the one that resonates the most in my memory is McCovey. He seemed to strike more fear in a pitcher than any other player I have ever seen. Bonds may be that exception. Cepeda and Hart are memories but nothing that resonates like Mays and McCovey. I do remember getting upset when Cepeda was traded ... but I can't remember exactly why.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this has some surprising 2013 budget implications:

5:12pm: Ichiro is choosing the Yankees' offer over a two-year, $15MM offer from a team that is believed to be the Giants, tweets Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News.

Read more at San Francisco Giants Rumors: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

So we are apparently willing to shell out another $7.5 million or so for Ichiro. And apparently this is after we already agreed with Towers. Interesting.

Cody Ross, anybody? 1.010 OPS against LHP in 2012, with 12 HR in 150 AB.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3