• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the field it is probably best for the Giants to move on, but the fan in me still wants him to return.

However, I am a bit irked by his whole reaction to the situation.

I don't think the doyers have any real interest. I bet he's back with us in Jan for $3MM plus incentives.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the field it is probably best for the Giants to move on, but the fan in me still wants him to return.

However, I am a bit irked by his whole reaction to the situation.

Me too, I still want him back as well. He's a good teammate.

I agree as well. It's not like the Giants didn't pay him $8M (or close to it) for only pitching 2 innings.....Supposedly the Giants also offered him enough in incentives to earn up to the $6.8M he would have earned with a QO. Obviously, what I don't know is how realistic it would have been to reach those incentives. I'm not saying the Giants FO is 100% innocent/justified for how they handled the situation, but I think Weezy is being a little unfair here.

I don't think the doyers have any real interest. I bet he's back with us in Jan for $3MM plus incentives.

I don't think the Doggys have much interest either. I think the question is though, how mad is BWeezy at the Giants? If he's not getting the amount of suitors/money that he was hoping for from the rest of mlb.....is he motivated enough to take less salary to "stick" it to the Giants and sign with the Dogs? All speculation on my part obviously. I hope you're right though and that Weezy is back in a Giants uniform next season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too, I still want him back as well. He's a good teammate.

I agree as well. It's not like the Giants didn't pay him $8M (or close to it) for only pitching 2 innings.....Supposedly the Giants also offered him enough in incentives to earn up to the $6.8M he would have earned with a QO. Obviously, what I don't know is how realistic it would have been to reach those incentives. I'm not saying the Giants FO is 100% innocent/justified for how they handled the situation, but I think Weezy is being a little unfair here.

I don't think the Doggys have much interest either. I think the question is though, how mad is BWeezy at the Giants? If he's not getting the amount of suitors/money that he was hoping for from the rest of mlb.....is he motivated enough to take less salary to "stick" it to the Giants and sign with the Dogs? All speculation on my part obviously. I hope you're right though and that Weezy is back in a Giants uniform next season.

Nit-pick, but technically, he would have gotten the 6.8 through arbitration, not a QO...

Two additional points...

1) Would he be "sticking it" to the Giants by going to the dogs? He lives in LA, would LOVE the Hollywood atmosphere and has stated he would like to work in LA or Boston. I think the dogs fit his personal criteria outside of the Giants issue.

2) Robb Nen. Hen blew out his arm trying to get the Giants a ring. Wilson blew his out actually getting one for the Giants. Would we be OK with a slight overpay (say, 5M instead of 3M guarenteed?) to keep him in the fold? Just a thought...

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nit-pick, but technically, he would have gotten the 6.8 through arbitration, not a QO...

Two additional points...

1) Would he be "sticking it" to the Giants by going to the dogs? He lives in LA, would LOVE the Hollywood atmosphere and has stated he would like to work in LA or Boston. I think the dogs fit his personal criteria outside of the Giants issue.

2) Robb Nen. Hen blew out his arm trying to get the Giants a ring. Wilson blew his out actually getting one for the Giants. Would we be OK with a slight overpay (say, 5M instead of 3M guarenteed?) to keep him in the fold? Just a thought...

What are you German? We're gonna split hairs on this??? ;)

1.) In my scenario, yes. He'd be taking less than the Giants offered to go to the Dodgers. In general, if all things were equal and he just wanted to be closer to home and have the atmosphere he's looking for? No.

2.) No. In the hypothetical where I was the GM, I'd do $3.5M guaranteed and I would probably make some concessions (meaning, lowering certain clauses to make incentives easier to reach) in regards to the incentives to get the contract value up to the ARBITRATION :heh: salary of $6.8M.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's probably told his agent to just call him in February to let him know which team to report to.

Exactly. He's sitting in Miami laughing as several teams try to decide which is going to pay him half a million to report in March.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cody Ross signs 3 year deal with D-Backs. Kubel now on the Trade Block

3/25

That seems steep. Sure, he had a good year in Boston last year, but dude über streaky. I am happy for him, but we thought he was way over paid at 6per...

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3/25

That seems steep. Sure, he had a good year in Boston last year, but dude über streaky. I am happy for him, but we thought he was way over paid at 6per...

As I said before, get used to it. Everything is going to seem steep from now on. Call it the Dodger Effect. The TV money is making the old metrics obsolete. $10 mil is the new $8 mil.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for cody - that's the kind of deal he was looking for. He better not bat flip on Cain.

He'll bat flip whenever he gets the chance against us, I think.

Interesting deal for the D-Backs though. Not really sure what they are doing. Upton, Eaton, Kubel, Parra now Ross.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said before, get used to it. Everything is going to seem steep from now on. Call it the Dodger Effect. The TV money is making the old metrics obsolete. $10 mil is the new $8 mil.

Hell, $10M is the new $5M. Fucking Dodger scum.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some winter league stats:

Francisco Peguero ended the year 12-for-62 with six doubles, six RBIs, two walks, 21 strikeouts (ouch), and three stolen bases. His final line was .194/.231/.290

Joaquin Arias was (8-for-33) with three RBIs, two strikeouts, no walks on the season. His final batting line was .242/.242/.273

Roger Kieschnick was hitless over his last 18 at-bats. He finished the winter 21-for-92 with a double, a triple, four home runs, and 18 RBIs. Kieschnick had 11 walks and 27 strikeouts. His final line was .228/.308/.391

Angel Villalona ends the year 9-for-33 with a double, a home run, and four RBIs. Villalona had 3 walks and nine strikeouts. His final line is .273/.351/.394

Yusmeiro Petit pitched well again December 17, tossing 6 1/3 innings with two runs (one earned) and four strikeouts. He got a no-decision

Jean Machi pitched in two games last week and was roughed up a bit December 21. He allowed three runs in one inning against Caracas. The bad day broke Machi’s streak of five straight scoreless appearances

Gregor Blanco got hot in a December 18 doubleheader, when he went 2-for-4 in the nightcap. Since then, Blanco hit 7-for-15 with a home run and two RBIs. He also scored seven runs over the week

Hector Sanchez started his week hot with four hits in his first two games, including a home run December 17. He had a hit in each of the next two games before going 0-for-7 to end the week. Sanchez had five RBIs over the week