• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ouch...

Estimate was about 6M, he signs for 8M. And this is just his first year of arb.

Once the kids start to lose their bargain factor, they begin to lose their value. I understand he had to be paid, and good for him for getting it done. But overpays make it harder to get complimentary pieces in FA or trade.

cal, I've said this before, we're all just going to have to get used to the fact that there ain't no 'overpaying' anymore. There's a new market rate.

Thanks Dodger fucks!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cal, I've said this before, we're all just going to have to get used to the fact that there ain't no 'overpaying' anymore. There's a new market rate.

Thanks Dodger fucks!

For FAs, sure. But this is a first year, Arb 1 guy.

Don't get me wrong, Posey is worth 2X that contract. If he were an FA, and we signed/resigned him at 8M, my tone would be 100% different. But that ain't the case. When you overpay for Arb 1 guys, you end up paying the Hunter Pences of the world 14M in Arb 3.

Also know that this is coming from someone who knows completely that he is just a dumb schmoe on the inter-webz who doesn't know jack from shit. ISABWT! My pitchfork is still firmly secured in the tool shed.

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly on estimate.

Overpay, but he does have the potential to at least play to the contract.

This trade is an odd one for me. We got a ring out of it, but he did nothing (on the field) to contribute to it. We also gave up arguably our #1 prospect for him. Now he is out top paid position player (maybe #2 to Oxy?) and we are all crossing our fingers that he plays to the contract.

Tough trade to evaluate...

We traded SUSAC???

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know why, and it's the right call, but still a shame. He was my favorite Giant of this era. I'll always root for him.

Well, SabeySabes also said that the Bengie Molina "ship had sailed." So there's that.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know why, and it's the right call, but still a shame. He was my favorite Giant of this era. I'll always root for him.

same here

He pitched in the toughest of games and left everything he had on the line to get that first ring. His persona was the backbone of the Giants bullpen swagger.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same here

He pitched in the toughest of games and left everything he had on the line to get that first ring. His persona was the backbone of the Giants bullpen swagger.

I compare him to Nen. They both left their arm on the mound in an attempt to win a ring. Wilson was successful, Nen was not.

While I would love to keep him around, it just doesn't make sense. The giants need to move on.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In watching (and re-watching) the MLBTV World Series movie, no one was more excited in the celebrations than him when we won. It will be sad to see him go.

But we are bigger than any one player.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same here

He was also hilarious. The game needs more personalities like his, or Nyjer Morgan, or Nick Swisher. Goofballs.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was also hilarious. The game needs more personalities like his, or Nyjer Morgan, or Nick Swisher. Goofballs.

More guys like this:
morganwalk.gif

After this?:
1077611_o.gif

I wouldn't call that goofball.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, boards dead. No one brought up the Upton trade yet. J.Up going to the Braves in exchange for Martin Prado, and youth. D-Backs actually have a very balanced lineup now, unlike the strikeout machine it was just a couple years ago.

Atlanta, on the other hand, is going to have one of the best OFs in the game with the Upton brothers playing with each other now. But they will be going for the Diamondback's MLB team record for strikeouts in a season.

Braves Acquire Justin Upton: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, boards dead. No one brought up the Upton trade yet. J.Up going to the Braves in exchange for Martin Prado, and youth. D-Backs actually have a very balanced lineup now, unlike the strikeout machine it was just a couple years ago.

Atlanta, on the other hand, is going to have one of the best OFs in the game with the Upton brothers playing with each other now. But they will be going for the Diamondback's MLB team record for strikeouts in a season.

Braves Acquire Justin Upton: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

niner fever man

a motivated Upton OF is dangerous indeed

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
niner fever man

a motivated Upton OF is dangerous indeed

And I am hot with it too but dayumn, I figured a mention at least. But yes, Braves will be very dangerous next year. They are a very balanced offensive unit and obviously their pitching has been fantastic.