• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't mind most of his stuff. In essence, he's right about a lot of it. I'm sure none of us would throw a hissy fit if the Giants landed a $2Billion TV deal tomorrow.

That said, there are a couple things that he got wrong.....he can appreciate what the Giants accomplished, but he should NEVER root for them. I appreciate Clayton Kershaw, but I don't EVER root for him. Also, the Giants didn't spend $80M on Pagan and Scutaro, they spent $60M over 7 years, HUGE difference. Also-also, the Giants didn't spend $60M over 7 years on Pagan and Scutaro simply to "keep the band together". They filled two holes that didn't have an immediate, established replacement for the 2012 season. BTW, those two also happen to be the #1 and #2 hitters in the lineup.....

Otherwise, I thought it was a decent enough blog. I do agree with him that Giants fans are talking shit because we're nervous.....who wouldn't be when they have a Credit Card with no limit on it?

I thought it was crap. Plus, it was too long. I stopped reading when he presumptuously claimed this about Giants fans: "The thing is, Giants fans haven’t quite grasped the amount of money the Dodgers have, because very few understand it." And then uses the largest capital equipment expenditure most people make in their lifetime (a house) as an analogy of a consumption item. Poor analogy on many levels. Too much knuckle-dragging hubris for my tastes.

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Basically, not a horrible blog. A bit douchie, but it is a Doggie blog, so what do you expect?

The points about the tax and the international financial issues have been made already, but he also makes a point about spending gobs of money in the draft to get kids that would otherwise go to college. Well, thats not possible anymore either. The only thing that he got right was the ability to hire 10,000 scouts for ever region in the world, so they will likey find a few more gems (and that is a legit advantage), but they would not have the ability to sign a kid like Appel just because they are the Doggies and have cash. They would still be limited in the $$ they are allowed to spend.

So basically, he didn't get a lot right, did he?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Three team deal: DBacks gave up on Trevor Bauer!

They seemed really tired of him (already). They were afraid of his command, and didn't really like his demeanor towards the D-Backs trying to develop him, Bauer had his way and he was sticking to it, no matter what anyone said. They tried to get him to lay off on the ridiculous pre-game routine (seen here), he didn't like that. They tried to tweak his mechanics, didn't like that either. Heard he was kind of a headcase too. Granted, when you have a guy, like Lincecum, who relies on everything to be perfect everytime to get the most out of his pitches (apparently more-so even than Tim), its hard to change things when its worked for him to this point.

Looking at their return though, looks like they got robbed. Lars Anderson never developed into anything special from the former 1st rounder (there's still time), Sipp is a solid middle reliever and Gergorius (the key to the deal) better be a glove magician because his numbers are anything but spectacular, even for a SS. Could be a Crawford type?

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
They seemed really tired of him (already). They were afraid of his command, and didn't really like his demeanor towards the D-Backs trying to develop him, Bauer had his way and he was sticking to it, no matter what anyone said. They tried to get him to lay off on the ridiculous pre-game routine (seen here), he didn't like that. They tried to tweak his mechanics, didn't like that either. Heard he was kind of a headcase too. Granted, when you have a guy, like Lincecum, who relies on everything to be perfect everytime to get the most out of his pitches (apparently more-so even than Tim), its hard to change things when its worked for him to this point.

I can't think of a worse manager, and maybe only Sabean as a worse GM, for a kid like that. Towers and Gibson are weeding out a lot of talented players who just aren't their kind of guys.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way it would have cleared CamFrye, the original Grammar Nazi. Where is Cam these days?

Is he on a hunt for a 30-HR power hitter?

He hasn't been around much since that scuffle...

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was crap. Plus, it was too long. I stopped reading when he presumptuously claimed this about Giants fans: "The thing is, Giants fans haven’t quite grasped the amount of money the Dodgers have, because very few understand it." And then uses the largest capital equipment expenditure most people make in their lifetime (a house) as an analogy of a consumption item. Poor analogy on many levels. Too much knuckle-dragging hubris for my tastes.

I read like a fan blog, from the perspective of a doggie fan.

Given that bar, it was a GREAT article.

I kind of read it as a fan blog as well. Was this guy an actual writer??? If so, it was a ridiculous article. I wasn't expecting it to have a bunch of cold, hard facts or much research. I was more just reading it like a typical fan blog of someone who finally had something to cheer about after watching the Giants shove it down their throat 2 of the last 3 years. From that standpoint, I was ok with it. Like Cal alluded to though, when my bar is set from the ESPN Dodger MB's and that crap I saw from the 'trackbacks'.....well, you get the idea. :heh:

I do agree that the guys' attitude was a little bit 'rough and ready' and antagonistic.

Is he on a hunt for a 30-HR power hitter?

He hasn't been around much since that scuffle...

He's been around the Warrior board I believe, he's just lurked around a couple times here and there that I've seen. I don't take Cam as the shrinking violet type though. I doubt a scuffle would scare him off, otherwise, he wouldn't have made it past week 1 on the old ESPN boards. Of course, I've been wrong before many times and I'll be wrong again.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of read it as a fan blog as well. Was this guy an actual writer??? If so, it was a ridiculous article. I wasn't expecting it to have a bunch of cold, hard facts or much research. I was more just reading it like a typical fan blog of someone who finally had something to cheer about after watching the Giants shove it down their throat 2 of the last 3 years. From that standpoint, I was ok with it. Like Cal alluded to though, when my bar is set from the ESPN Dodger MB's and that crap I saw from the 'trackbacks'.....well, you get the idea. :heh:

I do agree that the guys' attitude was a little bit 'rough and ready' and antagonistic.

He's been around the Warrior board I believe, he's just lurked around a couple times here and there that I've seen. I don't take Cam as the shrinking violet type though. I doubt a scuffle would scare him off, otherwise, he wouldn't have made it past week 1 on the old ESPN boards. Of course, I've been wrong before many times and I'll be wrong again.

Cam is a tough guy, agreed. In the early days of the mouse board, he held his own with the mules, who were not known for their kindness nor openness to newcomers.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam is a tough guy, agreed. In the early days of the mouse board, he held his own with the mules, who were not known for their kindness nor openness to newcomers.

Cam is the man! He is probably just enjoying life away from a computer. I join everyone in being surprised that the D-Backs gave up on Bauer and the Reds gave up on Stubbs. They are just a little command and some plate discipline away from having a top of the rotation starter and lead-off hitter with a great glove for, possibly, the next decade. Though, those can be big "IFs," it is worth it to sacrifice the known commodity when you don't have much of a chance to take the division in 2013 (unless the Tigers get a couple of big injuries... what is Victor Martinez doing these days, by the way?).

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gentlemen - I am not running away from anything. I am working my ass off, running a soccer league, coaching two teams, remodeling the back yard and enjoying time on my Santa Cruz Superlight mountain bike (I have lost 15 pounds).

I lurk and read occasionally, but I just don't have the time to stay up-to-date with the threads here. By the time I read them, most of you have already said what I am thinking, so I don't post that often.

For the record, that LA blog hurt my feelings. I don't mind the excessive use of swear words, because I understand the trogoldyte mentality. It's the spelling errors, the grammar errors and the complete lack of respect the writer showed that was the worst for me.

The reason for my return today was to inquire about the left field situation for 2013. Most of what I have read says the Giants are done spending. If that is indeed the case, are we to expect that Gregor Blanco and (insert minor league player here) are going to be expected to carry the position for 162 games next year? Where is the depth? What happens if the Giants lose an OF to injury for an extended period of time? Having Blanco as a reserve is nice. Expecting him to start is insanity. Kieshnick, Peguero and some dude named Juan Perez are the only minor leaguers on the 40-man roster right now. That's not depth. That's asking for trouble.

Sabean has done a solid job of filling in the holes where they exist, but I cannot believe that anyone here is happy and content that the team as currently constituted is good enough to get the job done over the full 162.

So for those of you daring enough to think outside box, tell me: who will be the left fielder for the Giants for most of the 2013 season? How will this person become a member of the Giants?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gentlemen - I am not running away from anything. I am working my ass off, running a soccer league, coaching two teams, remodeling the back yard and enjoying time on my Santa Cruz Superlight mountain bike (I have lost 15 pounds).

I lurk and read occasionally, but I just don't have the time to stay up-to-date with the threads here. By the time I read them, most of you have already said what I am thinking, so I don't post that often.

For the record, that LA blog hurt my feelings. I don't mind the excessive use of swear words, because I understand the trogoldyte mentality. It's the spelling errors, the grammar errors and the complete lack of respect the writer showed that was the worst for me.

The reason for my return today was to inquire about the left field situation for 2013. Most of what I have read says the Giants are done spending. If that is indeed the case, are we to expect that Gregor Blanco and (insert minor league player here) are going to be expected to carry the position for 162 games next year? Where is the depth? What happens if the Giants lose an OF to injury for an extended period of time? Having Blanco as a reserve is nice. Expecting him to start is insanity. Kieshnick, Peguero and some dude named Juan Perez are the only minor leaguers on the 40-man roster right now. That's not depth. That's asking for trouble.

Sabean has done a solid job of filling in the holes where they exist, but I cannot believe that anyone here is happy and content that the team as currently constituted is good enough to get the job done over the full 162.

So for those of you daring enough to think outside box, tell me: who will be the left fielder for the Giants for most of the 2013 season? How will this person become a member of the Giants?

Most of 2013? Blanco. Part of 2013? Pegs and a deadline grab. I believe most of us were hoping for Hairston (reasonable), but it seems more likely that money will go to a 6th man in the rotation/long reliever. I don't want to see Hensley or Mota back, so I would be okay with it. Your concerns are valid, and in my opinion, worth stretching the budget by $3-$4 mil, but that is just money that will be taken out of whatever salary they plan on taking on at the deadline (EDIT: and goes against the definition of a budget, unfortunately). Are there better deals now or then (in terms of money and prospects)? That one is tough (impossible?) to know, but with the roster in its current state, it is very calming that this front office always does a deadline move or two.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?

I'm surprised it took this long for public and media awareness to bubble to the surface. Only McCourt's incompetence prevented the Dodgers from making huge TV deals 18 months ago.

I think that the existing contract (still not expired) probably had a lot to do with it.