• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this interesting:

Andy McCullough ‏@McCulloughSL
Zack Greinke from 2010 to 2012: 604 IP, 3.83 ERA, 106 ERA+, 3.78 K/BB. R.A. Dickey, 2010 to 2012: 616.3 IP, 2.95 ERA, 129 ERA+, 3.12 K/BB.

Sure there is the age difference but Dickey's request for a 2 year extension will be an unbelievable bargain to whoever he signs with.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this interesting:

Andy McCullough ‏@McCulloughSL
Zack Greinke from 2010 to 2012: 604 IP, 3.83 ERA, 106 ERA+, 3.78 K/BB. R.A. Dickey, 2010 to 2012: 616.3 IP, 2.95 ERA, 129 ERA+, 3.12 K/BB.

Sure there is the age difference but Dickey's request for a 2 year extension will be an unbelievable bargain to whoever he signs with.

There's some risk with Dickey though. Until he got to the Mets he was very mediocre. Maybe he's a NL only pitcher?

There's of course risk with Greinke too, but knuckleballers are wild cards.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets shift our moods from the fucking doyers to a good o'll fashion win/win baseball move between the Royals and Rays.

Rays send James Shields and Wade Davis to the Royals for Jake Odorizzi, Will Myers, Mike Montgomery and Patrick Leonard (4 of the Royals top prospects). Rays are always looking to shed payroll and get young prospects and Myers will fill a void in the OF and give LonGo some help.

The Royals are trying to win now and have established a very good solid, Shields-Guthrie-Santana-Chen-Davis and they still have prospects to boot. The offense was already good.

Love the trade for both teams, look out for KC (especially in that division).

Royals To Acquire James Shields, Wade Davis: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Mat Latos will now rag on the Dodgers for buying a championship...

:spider:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He needs to get with the new rules in the CBA, he talks about stocking the farm with international prospects. If I a not mistaken, didn't the new CBA put a cap on international spending? So, they are on the same playing field as everybody else in that one (unless you are the Marlins and plan to pocket that money). He also didn't bring up the absurd amount of tax the team will have to be paying with that kind of payroll. Their $240 million payroll will be reaching awfully close to $400 million annually after tax penalty that was again enforced more harshly in the new CBA. Also didn't like the way he used 'fucking' all the time, like it was a mission to get it into each paragraph. AND, still have more World Series titles both in the last 2 decades and overall.

Fucking dodger fan ;)

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hate to say it, but if I were a Dodger fan, I'd feel the same way. We all laughed at what they spent to get Ramirez, Agon, etc. Now we know why. If I were the owners, I'd do the same thing. Suffice it to say money just isn't an issue with them anymore. They could afford $20mm a year on 8 positions, 5 starters, a closer, and spread another $50mm on the other spots, without even breaking a sweat. They could offer double what we offer to any our players whose contract expires, and laugh about it. For at least the next 25 years.

Unless we can secure a similar media deal.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"... we’d rather have a Lakers team with stars struggling than a scrappy team. That’s the city. Better or worse. That’s us."

That about sums it up. He might as well have typed, "We don't understand sports, but we like to talk about them... when we're winning... or the owner is rich."

Also, if futility is anything other than a championship, then most sports franchises aren't very successful. I get the point, and I understand the reality, but this guy is a massive tool. Go figure.

EDIT: One more thing. No, douche, you didn't root for the Giants. If you did, you're an even bigger idiot than you've made yourself out to be. There are Dodgers fans and Giants fans. One does not root for the other. Cinderella story or no. Plus, all this scrappy, Rudy nonsense is a product of the media. Sure there was some luck, but both of those championships were won by great ballplayers.

Last edited by a moderator:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't mind most of his stuff. In essence, he's right about a lot of it. I'm sure none of us would throw a hissy fit if the Giants landed a $2Billion TV deal tomorrow.

That said, there are a couple things that he got wrong.....he can appreciate what the Giants accomplished, but he should NEVER root for them. I appreciate Clayton Kershaw, but I don't EVER root for him. Also, the Giants didn't spend $80M on Pagan and Scutaro, they spent $60M over 7 years, HUGE difference. Also-also, the Giants didn't spend $60M over 7 years on Pagan and Scutaro simply to "keep the band together". They filled two holes that didn't have an immediate, established replacement for the 2012 season. BTW, those two also happen to be the #1 and #2 hitters in the lineup.....

Otherwise, I thought it was a decent enough blog. I do agree with him that Giants fans are talking shit because we're nervous.....who wouldn't be when they have a Credit Card with no limit on it?

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In understand his passion (could have done without the @!%^$#! language, though. :D)

The Dogs just got let out of prison, and have a ton of cash. Why not buy everything in sight? They have 8 starting pitchers all making over $6 million a year. Why not? Because they can.

Still, my LA friends are crowing that they now have the best team in baseball. I keep telling them that when they are tired of fantasy drinks and fantasy women and fantasy money in fantasy land, they can rejoin the real world where the San Francisco Giants have won two of the last three World Series. Not in some XBox league, but for real. Until the Dogs actually do anything but write checks to cover the national debt of third world countries, they need to stop with the "best team in baseball" nonsense.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind most of his stuff. In essence, he's right about a lot of it. I'm sure none of us would throw a hissy fit if the Giants landed a $2Billion TV deal tomorrow.

That said, there are a couple things that he got wrong.....he can appreciate what the Giants accomplished, but he should NEVER root for them. I appreciate Clayton Kershaw, but I don't EVER root for him. Also, the Giants didn't spend $80M on Pagan and Scutaro, they spent $60M over 7 years, HUGE difference. Also-also, the Giants didn't spend $60M over 7 years on Pagan and Scutaro simply to "keep the band together". They filled two holes that didn't have an immediate, established replacement for the 2012 season. BTW, those two also happen to be the #1 and #2 hitters in the lineup.....

Otherwise, I thought it was a decent enough blog. I do agree with him that Giants fans are talking shit because we're nervous.....who wouldn't be when they have a Credit Card with no limit on it?

This is what I was trying to say, but with more smarty, and less poopy, language. Also, you gave him a little bit more credit than he deserves, but Rep from the Great Beyond, nonetheless.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically, not a horrible blog. A bit douchie, but it is a Doggie blog, so what do you expect?

The points about the tax and the international financial issues have been made already, but he also makes a point about spending gobs of money in the draft to get kids that would otherwise go to college. Well, thats not possible anymore either. The only thing that he got right was the ability to hire 10,000 scouts for ever region in the world, so they will likey find a few more gems (and that is a legit advantage), but they would not have the ability to sign a kid like Appel just because they are the Doggies and have cash. They would still be limited in the $$ they are allowed to spend.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I hate to say it, but if I were a Dodger fan, I'd feel the same way. We all laughed at what they spent to get Ramirez, Agon, etc. Now we know why. If I were the owners, I'd do the same thing. Suffice it to say money just isn't an issue with them anymore. They could afford $20mm a year on 8 positions, 5 starters, a closer, and spread another $50mm on the other spots, without even breaking a sweat. They could offer double what we offer to any our players whose contract expires, and laugh about it. For at least the next 25 years.

Really?

Dec 8 2010

Just a note: it's been reported the rangers signed a 20 year local broadcasting deal with their fox owned rsn - somewhere between 1.6 and 3 billion. Gives you an idea of the kind of local revenue available in even second tier markets.

I'm surprised it took this long for public and media awareness to bubble to the surface. Only McCourt's incompetence prevented the Dodgers from making huge TV deals 18 months ago.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

You know the Giants owners own 30% of CSNBayArea, right? Is a 1/3 equity stake worth more than selling the media rights without ownership? There's the interesting question.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard/read that Choo went to the Reds for Drew Stubbs+. Not sure if confirmed.