• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ratto on 2011 - "the Giants turned out to be substandard at almost every everyday position, in part because their offense became a lethargic, out-of-shape mess. "

He's talking about Huff, for sure. But who else?

IMO, Pablo, Rowand, Tejada, Burrell, Ross, others to a lesser extent. Certainly there was not much pride or leadership among the hitters in 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Pablo, Rowand, Tejada, Burrell, Ross, others to a lesser extent. Certainly there was not much pride or leadership among the hitters in 2011.

Panda had a great year in 2011. How hard do you think Ratto's editor laughed when he read about him blasting guys for being out of shape?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Pablo came in in great shape (for him) in 2011. I thought Rowand had dropped a bunch of weight too - riding his bike IIRC. And Tejada was on the Padres in 2010 - no hangover there - just old.

Ross..... yeah....

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yankee's miss out on Keppinger and Chavez. ARod might be done. I wonder how much we could get for Pablo? He could be a media sensation there.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pablo came in in great shape (for him) in 2011. I thought Rowand had dropped a bunch of weight too - riding his bike IIRC. And Tejada was on the Padres in 2010 - no hangover there - just old.

Ross..... yeah....

Panda started the year in great shape (for him), but I'm not sure he left that way. He only played in 117 games in 2011, albeit with a fine .909 OPS. But if your leading hitter has 23 HRs and 70 RBI (not counting whatever Beltran's combined numbers were), that's not very impressive.

pedro-sandoval-cake.gif

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ratto on 2011

He's talking about Huff, for sure. But who else?

It is Ratto. That's all that needs to be said.

But since we rarely follow that methodology, lets go thought the lineup...

Posey - enough said
Huff - Ratto got that one on the head
Franchez - no one ever accused him of being out of shape or lethargic. His body just quit on him.
Mig-E6 TehNada - yup, but not due to over celebrating
Panda - he came in ripped, so nope
Ross - nope, he just played over his head in '10
Torres - dude was SUPER-ripped
Nate - super-ripped

Another spot-on article by the walrus.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Panda started the year in great shape (for him), but I'm not sure he left that way. He only played in 117 games in 2011, albeit with a fine .909 OPS. But if your leading hitter has 23 HRs and 70 RBI (not counting whatever Beltran's combined numbers were), that's not very impressive.

pedro-sandoval-cake.gif

He only played in a 117 games because of the hammate injury. Nothing to do with being out of shape.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Posey - enough said
Franchez - no one ever accused him of being out of shape or lethargic. His body just quit on him.
Panda - he came in ripped, so nope
Nate - super-ripped

LOL. I think that sums it up.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Posey - enough said
Panda - he came in ripped (FOR HIM, lol), so nope
Nate - super-ripped

lol, well said cal (with one small item added). However, shouldn't this type of analysis be done for when Ratto actually gets one right???

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, well said cal (with one small item added). However, shouldn't this type of analysis be done for when Ratto actually gets one right???

God help me I actually don't mind the Walrus that much. He gets a lot wrong as we all do, and as all of the TV yakkers do, but his attitude is like "hey, this is a game, it's not life and death, let's have fun with it".

On the radio discussing the Niners loss this weekend he heard all the callers complaining about Harbaugh and the O.C. and Kaep and on and on and he's like "typical fans, we lose one game and Harbaugh is a moron...we win next week and he's Vince Lombardi again"

I think he's a cut above this crowd: :lm:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So you don't ever want me to post like this?

Fine. :(

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, we are looking at:

C-Posey
1B-Belt
2B-Scutaro
3B-Sandoval
SS-Crawford
LF-Blanco
CF-Pagan
RF-Pence

Bench: Chez3, Arias, _____, _____, _____

SP-Cain
SP-Lincecum
SP-Bumgarner
SP-Volgelsong
SP-Zito

CL-Romo
RHP-Casilla
RHP-Kontos
LHP-Affeldt
LHP-Lopez
LHP-Mijares
RP-____

The way I see it, we have 4 spots open and not that much money. If I could have my way, I would fill it with B-Weez, Hariston, Theriot, (enter Sabean dumpster dive find here). Though that would be far fetched at this point.

More likely to see Mark Lowe (league min), Ben Francisco (league min), Theriot (2 mil), (SDD-league min).

Last edited by a moderator:

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, we are looking at:

C-Posey
1B-Belt
2B-Scutaro
3B-Sandoval
SS-Crawford
LF-Blanco
CF-Pagan
RF-Pence

Bench: Chez3, Arias, _____, _____, _____

SP-Cain
SP-Lincecum
SP-Bumgarner
SP-Volgelsong
SP-Zito

CL-Romo
RHP-Casilla
RHP-Kontos
LHP-Affeldt
LHP-Lopez
LHP-Mijares
RP-____

The way I see it, we have 4 spots open and not that much money. If I could have my way, I would fill it with B-Weez, Hariston, Theriot, (enter Sabean dumpster dive find here). Though that would be far fetched at this point.

More likely to see Mark Lowe (league min), Ben Francisco (league min), Theriot (2 mil), (SDD-league min).

Any idea what the updated payroll is? Can the Giants even afford Wilson and Hairston at this point?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of the name, I don't quite understand the fascination of Francisco, but we are taking #4 OF, so who cares.

I think Pegs, Kieschnick, Dominguez, Noonan, Perez and maybe Bond get legit looks for the 3 open spots on the every-day player side. I think Riot is a near lock to get the primary util spot, though.

I have heard the Lowe rumors too, but my gut says it won't happen. I think there is a decent shot that Hembree or Cabesa jr get that slot.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From John Shea:

The Giants, who anticipate a payroll in the neighborhood of $140 million, have 10 players under contract for 2013 for about $100 million, including starters Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum, Barry Zito, Ryan Vogelsong and Madison Bumgarner, relievers Affeldt and Javier Lopez, third baseman Pablo Sandoval, Pagan and Scutaro.

Arbitration-eligible Hunter Pence would push that figure beyond $110 million. Add arbitration players Buster Posey, Sergio Romo, Santiago Casilla, Gregor Blanco, Joaquin Arias and Jose Mijares, and it's clear why the payroll cannot stay where it was in 2012, in the low 130s - even with Aubrey Huff, Freddy Sanchez, Brian Wilson and Aaron Rowand off the books.

That seems to leave no room for any more costly free agents.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any idea what the updated payroll is? Can the Giants even afford Wilson and Hairston at this point?

Expected to be around $140 Million. Theres about $94 million committed to guaranteed contracts (non arbitration guys).

Outside of the name, I don't quite understand the fascination of Francisco, but we are taking #4 OF, so who cares.

I think Pegs, Kieschnick, Dominguez, Noonan, Perez and maybe Bond get legit looks for the 3 open spots on the every-day player side. I think Riot is a near lock to get the primary util spot, though.

I have heard the Lowe rumors too, but my gut says it won't happen. I think there is a decent shot that Hembree or Cabesa jr get that slot.

At this point, Francisco has just been a name that's popped up in rumors. Any RHH that plays the OF will be linked to us, same goes for any cheap reliever. Only thing that sets me off with Hembree and Bochy jr is they are both coming off injuries, but I'd like to see them at some point (and I believe we will). Gillasipe has a shot to fill one of the last bench slots as well.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

pedro-sandoval-cake.gif

One of my all-time favorite gifs.... But Pablo was in fantastic shape going into last year, hand injuries are what caused the missed time. Those are damn good numbers for missing that much time with a HAND injury non-the-less.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scutaro will be paid $6 mill in each year of the contract, and he received a $2 million signing bonus.