• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I excite! That was a very good deal for Pagan and for the Giants. Even if by year 4 he's no longer the CF or even starting... It's not Rowand money.

Pence, Pagan and Blanco... Then bring in Hairston and things are looking good.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring a trade, Pence will be back. The Fo has only stated that they are not ready to sign a long-term deal. Arb has been offered.

So you're telling me it's "not in the bag just yet" but we could probably "assume" it???

:boink:

:heh:

;)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're telling me it's "not in the bag just yet" but we could probably "assume" it???

:boink:

:heh:

;)

Well, I did "assume" you were referring to 2013, which he will certainly be a part of (no reason to think otherwise).

:)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't that be sweet?

LF Pagan
2B Scutaro
CF Victorino
C Posey
3B Panda
RF Pence
1B Belt
SS Crawford
P

It could fit if tzill's $150 mill budget is a reality.

I wouldn't bat Vic third, more like 7th

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of non-tenders, we all got so caught up in Weez, I never saw any of the other players status. Was anyone else non-tendered? There was talk of Hensley and Casilla, but we certainly would have heard if K See Ya was non-tendered. Hensley could have slipped through the cracks.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine. If we get SV, too, then you can bat him 5th. Strange place for one of the best base stealers in the game, IMO. Or 2nd and move Scoots down to 7th, but that's a huge waste of perhaps the best #2 guy we've had since I can remember.

Maybe it ain't the '27 Yankees, but in our park, with our pitching, it's PD close.

:peep:

I just don't want to get all slaphappy because we won the WS.

Scutaro ain't hitting .320 all year next year, Pence doesn't look like the Allstar bat he was in hitters parks of Houston and Philly, Blanco, Crawford...

We're not an offensive juggernaut, even if we do sign Victorino. But we do have enough to win the division for sure and that's a good thing as Martha Stewart would say.

Yes I'm a natural pessimist (realist?)
:ohwell:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although we all agree that 4th year is scary, that's just today's game. I think teams know that the last year or so of a deal to a guy in his 30s is likely to be a not-so-hot bargain, but that's the price you pay. You assume some 'wasted' payroll to injury (Wilson) or suck (Huff).

If you don't, some other teams get all the players.

Put another way, he needs to put up 8 WAR over the life of his contract. He was close to 5 WAR last year. Say he puts up 4, 3.5, 3, 2.5. That'd be about $65MM production. It's a good deal.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Scutaro ain't hitting .320 all year next year, Pence doesn't look like the Allstar bat he was in hitters parks of Houston and Philly, Blanco, Crawford...

We're not an offensive juggernaut, even if we do sign Victorino. But we do have enough to win the division for sure and that's a good thing as Martha Stewart would say.

If we sign SV or Swish, maybe we don't sign Pence? Are we obligated to make him an offer? Just throwing that out there.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of non-tenders, we all got so caught up in Weez, I never saw any of the other players status. Was anyone else non-tendered? There was talk of Hensley and Casilla, but we certainly would have heard if K See Ya was non-tendered. Hensley could have slipped through the cracks.

On the lists that I saw, Wilson was the only Giant non-tendered.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we sign SV or Swish, maybe we don't sign Pence? Are we obligated to make him an offer? Just throwing that out there.

If Pence was offered arbitration (which he must have been, since he wasn't non-tendered), then either the two sides come to agreement on a contract or they go to an arb hearing. After the arb hearing, the Giants could cut him, but they would owe him :

- 30 days pay if cut before mid-March (I don't know the exact date this year)
- 45 days pay if cut after the above date but before the end of spring training
- the full year's contract if cut after the start of the season

So if his arb award was (say) $12M, then if they cut him Mar 1st they would only own him about $2M. But at this point he WOULD get a nice sum from the Giants if released.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Pence was offered arbitration (which he must have been, since he wasn't non-tendered), then either the two sides come to agreement on a contract or they go to an arb hearing. After the arb hearing, the Giants could cut him, but they would owe him :

- 30 days pay if cut before mid-March (I don't know the exact date this year)
- 45 days pay if cut after the above date but before the end of spring training
- the full year's contract if cut after the start of the season

So if his arb award was (say) $12M, then if they cut him Mar 1st they would only own him about $2M. But at this point he WOULD get a nice sum from the Giants if released.

Very good. If someone else signed him, would we get a compensatory pick?

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the lists that I saw, Wilson was the only Giant non-tendered.

Really? They offer Clay a contract?

Shocking.

I'm not sure if you are serious or not. I was using the term "non-tendered" in the strict sense of "not offered a contract by the non-tender date, and thus released on that date".

Hensley became a FA in early Nov, as did Burriss. (I assume both were outrighted, and refused assignment to the minors.)

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good. If someone else signed him, would we get a compensatory pick?

No. (Unless they changed the rule this past CBA and it wasn't reported.) The *only* way to get a pick is to make a "Qualifying Offer" ($13.3M this year).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if you are serious or not. I was using the term "non-tendered" in the strict sense of "not offered a contract by the non-tender date, and thus released on that date".

Hensley became a FA in early Nov, as did Burriss. (I assume both were outrighted, and refused assignment to the minors.)

I missed that he was out-righted, which trumps arb eligible.

Good. I did not want him to be occupy a solid spot or even be back.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Yankees have shown over the past 10 years or so that having a lineup stacked with hitters and very good pitching doesn't guarantee a WS ring.

The Giants have shown in 2 of the last 3 seasons that getting to the post-season with great pitching and a few guys getting 'hot' in series can bring a WS ring home.

Winning the division is a GREAT thing (and fuck Martha Stewart ;) )

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed that he was out-righted, which trumps arb eligible.

Good. I did not want him to be occupy a solid spot or even be back.

I did not want Clay back either. As I stated earlier, Id rather have Scott Atchison or Stuart Pomeranz.

But while I was being a fly on the wall in Nate's agent's office, I did notice that Sabean didn't bother calling. :roll:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Pagan locked up, we turn our sights to Scutaro and a possible LF platoon partner for Blanco. Another bullpen arm would be real nice too.