• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This talk of Burriss and Velez gives me another chance to link this terrific piece about Neifi Perez. I love the middle part where he gets into basically how the worst ML player you can think of was/is still amazingly terrifically good at playing the game. If you saw them play in the minors or college or wherever you'd be like 'damn that guy can play!'. They just aren't good enough to play in the majors.

Neifi Perez: Bad baseball Hall of Famer - Salon.com

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This talk of Burriss and Velez gives me another chance to link this terrific piece about Neifi Perez. I love the middle part where he gets into basically how the worst ML player you can think of was/is still amazingly terrifically good at playing the game. If you saw them play in the minors or college or wherever you'd be like 'damn that guy can play!'. They just aren't good enough to play in the majors.

Neifi Perez: Bad baseball Hall of Famer - Salon.com

Man, I hated Neifi Perez. I even coined an expression : "Hitting below the Neifi line" (OPS under .600). {Not too imaginative, I admit.}

Neifi was the poster boy for all that was wrong with the Giants 2003-2007 : "sign any crap we can afford to surround one of the greatest to ever play the game, trade away talent to pick up random crap like Garko, because we don't have any more money".

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I hated Neifi Perez. I even coined an expression : "Hitting below the Neifi line" (OPS under .600). {Not too imaginative, I admit.}

Neifi was the poster boy for all that was wrong with the Giants 2003-2007 : "sign any crap we can afford to surround one of the greatest to ever play the game, trade away talent to pick up random crap like Garko, because we don't have any more money".

I especially loathed Orlando Cabrera.....whom I named OCrap. Not very imaginative as well, but it got the point across. :heh:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I especially loathed Orlando Cabrera.....whom I named OCrap. Not very imaginative as well, but it got the point across. :heh:

OCrap and Migg-E6 Teh-Nada were pretty good pantshat nics, if I do say so myself...

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

A game or two before the O'Crap trade went down, Mike Fontenot came up three times in high leverage situations against lefty relievers - he made three outs. Giants lost in extra innings. Bochy had no right-handed SS bats to go to. They added O'Crap, sent down Crawford soon after, and the Giants cratered the rest of the way.

That's one where Bochy demanded the flexibility of matchups, but it didn't come close to working out.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

quite versatile too

When seeing his name in the lineup.. "oh crap, the Giants are playing 7 vs 9 tonight"

When a ball was hit to short "oh crap, oh crap, OCRAP!"

After getting a rally started in a tie game and seeing he was on deck "oh crap, who do we have left in the pen"

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Heyman reports:

The Red Sox, Braves and Giants appear to be looking at Nick Swisher, Heyman reports. The market for Swisher seems strong enough for him to obtain a deal of at least four years and executives see the outfielder signing for $12-14MM per season. The Red Sox like Swisher’s versatility since they have openings at first base and in the outfield. Meanwhile, the Braves and Giants are also looking for corner outfield help.

4/50 for Swish to play LF, with Oxy back in CF?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Heyman reports:

The Red Sox, Braves and Giants appear to be looking at Nick Swisher, Heyman reports. The market for Swisher seems strong enough for him to obtain a deal of at least four years and executives see the outfielder signing for $12-14MM per season. The Red Sox like Swisher’s versatility since they have openings at first base and in the outfield. Meanwhile, the Braves and Giants are also looking for corner outfield help.

4/50 for Swish to play LF, with Oxy back in CF?

God, I hope not. He does not fit the mold.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants signed 2 minor league FAs yesterday (SP Omar Javier and C Guillermo Quiroz).

Neither of them have a snowballs chance of making he big team. They AE both just org depth. However, the Quiroz signing is interesting. He is a AAA catcher and we already have Williams and Monell slated for Fresno. The only thing that makes sense is that he will be sent to Richmond to platoon with Susac. Not a good sign, since Burkhart was slated for that job.

Minor point, but still interesting.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A nice review of Kyle Crick from Mike Newman:

My look at Kyle Crick was admittedly a bad one. In a late season start, he sat 92-95 throughout with both an inconsistent slider and changeup. At his worst, I saw a mid-rotation workhorse with the potential to throw 200+ innings per season. At his best, contacts have seen “electric stuff” from the young right-hander including an upper-90′s fastball and upper-80′s wipe out slider. In his second full season, Crick is positioned to shoot up prospect rankings as he continues to develop consistency. I can think of no better prospect in the Giants system at this point.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Connor:

The oldest “prospect” on this list, Conor Gillaspie is your classic tweener with little left to prove at the minor league level. One can’t help but be at least a little impressed by his contact tool, but Gillaspie’s power and defense lag behind. He’ll never unseat Sandoval at third base in San Francisco, but even venturing to write another team would bite on Gillaspie as a starter based on his current skill set may be stretch.

Looks like a solid reserve to me...

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A nice review of Kyle Crick from Mike Newman:

My look at Kyle Crick was admittedly a bad one. In a late season start, he sat 92-95 throughout with both an inconsistent slider and changeup. At his worst, I saw a mid-rotation workhorse with the potential to throw 200+ innings per season. At his best, contacts have seen “electric stuff” from the young right-hander including an upper-90′s fastball and upper-80′s wipe out slider. In his second full season, Crick is positioned to shoot up prospect rankings as he continues to develop consistency. I can think of no better prospect in the Giants system at this point.

Very encouraging indeed, thanks for the find.

And Connor:

The oldest “prospect” on this list, Conor Gillaspie is your classic tweener with little left to prove at the minor league level. One can’t help but be at least a little impressed by his contact tool, but Gillaspie’s power and defense lag behind. He’ll never unseat Sandoval at third base in San Francisco, but even venturing to write another team would bite on Gillaspie as a starter based on his current skill set may be stretch.

I'd be happy if he can be a sort of John Vander Wal type player (though obviously an infielder).

All I remember from the guy is that he's singles hitter with stone hands. I don't know why, but he frustrated me quite a bit. Wasn't he the one who had a clause in his contract that he had to play in a single game/get an at bat/dress as a Giant in a big league game early on in his career? He just seems like he's that kid who feels entitled to everything, but I have little to nothing to base that on.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Connor:

I think this is a bit of an over-statement. A one-position guy with no power and no speed who plays his position at a below average level has a ceiling that Bilbo Baggins would be uncomfortable with.