• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random thought. I was out the at the stick for the niners game/curb stomping of the bears.

Talking to some longtime niner and giants fans, they said the Giants would play a commemorative final game at Candletick before the niners leave and they shut it down for good.

Anybody hear about this? Should bring back the carnation malts for that game and at 75 cents

"Frosty Malts! Get your Frosty Malts here!"

Among the sweetest words ever heard.

I would also include lots of hot dog wrappers, a windy day, and a healthy supply of Croix de Sticks if the game went extras.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did some quick research on the malts, and I am not sure they exist anymore. The only reference I coud find was on an LA-based message board from about 5 years ago. Apparently they were still sold at the Latrine back then...

God I loved those things...

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Random thought. I was out the at the stick for the niners game/curb stomping of the bears.

Talking to some longtime niner and giants fans, they said the Giants would play a commemorative final game at Candletick before the niners leave and they shut it down for good.

Anybody hear about this? Should bring back the carnation malts for that game and at 75 cents

I've heard it being suggested. I can't see it happening. It's still a dump out in the middle of nowhere.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I would also include lots of hot dog wrappers, a windy day, and a healthy supply of Croix de Sticks if the game went extras.

Nothing like a frosty malt on a mid-august friday night game with the wind chill down in the 20's.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I did some quick research on the malts, and I am not sure they exist anymore. The only reference I coud find was on an LA-based message board from about 5 years ago. Apparently they were still sold at the Latrine back then...

God I loved those things...

Seems to be a re-imaging of the original malts.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard it being suggested. I can't see it happening. It's still a dump out in the middle of nowhere.

Cmon...ONE game? The Giants could make a ton of cash with 70,000 guaranteed sold out seats. And the swag available for purchase? "Final Game at the 'Stick" T-shirts, etc....

I could see it. For ONE game. Hell, I'd go.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would they open the Homer-Zone?

not that the Giants would have a chance to put one there anyway...

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cmon...ONE game? The Giants could make a ton of cash with 70,000 guaranteed sold out seats. And the swag available for purchase? "Final Game at the 'Stick" T-shirts, etc....

I could see it. For ONE game. Hell, I'd go.

A one time infusion of cash? The Giants aren't desperate for money. Sure, give them a somewhat sustainable cash flow and I'm sure they'd be interested in almost anything. But all a commemorative game at the stick would be is a major pain in the ass for everyone.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A one time infusion of cash? The Giants aren't desperate for money. Sure, give them a somewhat sustainable cash flow and I'm sure they'd be interested in almost anything. But all a commemorative game at the stick would be is a major pain in the ass for everyone.

Bah humbug!

:rain:

:smow:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're probably right, but I could see them giving up one home game (Tuesday night v. Miami, say) for a "Farewell to Candlestick" evening. Commemorative Croix for everyone, fireworks, etc.

Pipe dream, probably. Still, it'd be great.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Giants have a hard-on for history. Maybe it's money driven and being sold as the "ultimate fan experience for every generation of Giants fan" but they've been banging that drum for since the group in 92 took over.

They cant wait to honor something in a pregame ceremony. Even holding off a game for 30+ minutes.

I'm wondering if there's any event that can prep the field beforehand. Like a world baseball classic or something where the field was game ready and the Giants could slide in for a game.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't subject myself to another game at the stick. Just about the only thing I miss about it was being able to walk up to the ticket window 20 minutes before almost any (non-Dodger) game and purchase a great lower box seat (a few rows from the field). And that was because there were only 4000 people there. No way I'd go to a 70K madhouse game.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would they open the Homer-Zone?

not that the Giants would have a chance to put one there anyway...

If they do have one, they should be open up to fan's requests since its all to fondly remember the best parts of candlestick. Offer a pencil and a scorecard. I'd sneak in peanuts.

I remember seeing the malts at a 7-11 a few years back, they were like half the size and twice the cost, still tasted awesome.

As a kid, I followed other people into the homer-zone. I was too short to climb back up and needed a boost just to get to the aisle. What a madhouse when any homer landed there.

Kinda sums up candlestick, it is a run down, slightly dangerous, concrete playground.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't subject myself to another game at the stick. Just about the only thing I miss about it was being able to walk up to the ticket window 20 minutes before almost any (non-Dodger) game and purchase a great lower box seat (a few rows from the field). And that was because there were only 4000 people there. No way I'd go to a 70K madhouse game.

Not for a one time deal? For niner games, it's not too bad.

Not sure how I would be sneaking in a screwdriver but I'd want to take home a little souvenir if you know what I mean. I figure, after the niners are done with it, it belongs to San Francisco right?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Giants have a hard-on for history. Maybe it's money driven and being sold as the "ultimate fan experience for every generation of Giants fan" but they've been banging that drum for since the group in 92 took over.

They cant wait to honor something in a pregame ceremony. Even holding off a game for 30+ minutes.

I'm wondering if there's any event that can prep the field beforehand. Like a world baseball classic or something where the field was game ready and the Giants could slide in for a game.

Well, if they want to honor candlestick, they can pass out lukewarm hotdogs during a seventh inning stretch sometime.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You're probably right, but I could see them giving up one home game (Tuesday night v. Miami, say) for a "Farewell to Candlestick" evening. Commemorative Croix for everyone, fireworks, etc.

Pipe dream, probably. Still, it'd be great.

I don't think they'd ever give up a regular season game. At the very most, I could see one game of an A's-Giants exhibition series being in the discussion.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I agree with GP that it would not be able to be a regular season game.

Think about it logistically. They have already sold the Season-tickets for all regular season games. That would be a nightmare to work through.

One of the Bay-Bridge games, though, could make sense.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if they want to honor candlestick, they can pass out lukewarm hotdogs during a seventh inning stretch sometime.

I want them served to me from a guy carrying a metal box full of hotdog water.

And gulden's mustard

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I agree with GP that it would not be able to be a regular season game.

Think about it logistically. They have already sold the Season-tickets for all regular season games. That would be a nightmare to work through.

One of the Bay-Bridge games, though, could make sense.

One of the exhibition games..that would work for me

Instead of charging full price for a preseason game, make it a candlestick send off game.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they'd ever give up a regular season game. At the very most, I could see one game of an A's-Giants exhibition series being in the discussion.

Great. Way to ensure another earthquake...