• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's that. And you're right, it's inviting second guessing to mess with the formula in the middle of a budding dynasty. Something like a golfer with a major victory already under their belt trying to add a little bit of extra game, but find instead that they've totally hosed their swing.

Nevertheless, I'm looking mostly at who has the higher risk of downside surprise. Pitchers of all ages are fragile. Young position players - not so much. If I can trade a good pitcher for a cost controlled stud hitter, I do it every time. Especially if I'm good at producing the former and have trouble developing the latter.

Now that's an angle I hadn't thought of, and for me moves the needle. I think I'd still not mess with a good thing, but this point makes that position very tenuous.

Of course, this is all still class A hypothetical.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit. We don't have a problem. We can quit this any time we want.

"You can check out anytime you'd like, but you can never* leave"!!!

* - Unless you quit paying your dues. :heh:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says the guy with 13,000+ posts.

:hockeysmile:

I can quit anytime, too. I think I will try and quit tomorrow.

I believe he (as we are all exhibiting) is at the denial step.....whatever step that is makes me angry.....and I can accept that.....

I am a :dunce: and also there's this.....:L

I constantly amaze myself at how low I can set the bar for myself.....so there's that. :heh:

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

That's not so much. There are others around sportshoopla with many more posts than me. Now those guys......they really do have a problem.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Admitted we were powerless over SabeySabes and that our Giants fanlife was unmanagable...

2. Came to believe that the powers-that-be could restore us to playoff contention.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to Bochy/Sabean as we understood them.

4. Made a searching and SABR-based inventory of our minor-league system.

5. Admitted to other board-members, to ourselves, and to another real-life fan the exact nature of our ignorances.

6. Were entirely ready to have Filo remove all our pantshattery posts.

7. Humbly asked Filo to remove our pantshattery posts.

8. Made a list of all transactions we disagreed with, and became willing to admit the SabeySabes knew about 1000 times more than us.

9. Made direct amends to the board and to the powers-that-be wherever possible, except when to do so would directly invite the wrath of AB.

10. Continued to take organizational inventory, and when we see strengths or weaknesses, promptly post them.

11. Sought through research and SABR to improve our conscious contact with SabeySabes as we understood him, hoping only for knowledge of his ability to win rings and his ability to carry that out.

12. Having had a statistical awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other boards, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit. We don't have a problem. We can quit this any time we want.

I quit for 30 days...I don't have a problem. Why would you say I have a problem? It's you, not me....

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. Came to believe that a Buster Posey greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

Made a decision to turn our game and our strategy over to the care of Bochy, as we don't understand him.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Last edited by a moderator:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Quitting is easy. I've done it dozens of times.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's that. And you're right, it's inviting second guessing to mess with the formula in the middle of a budding dynasty. Something like a golfer with a major victory already under their belt trying to add a little bit of extra game, but find instead that they've totally hosed their swing.

Nevertheless, I'm looking mostly at who has the higher risk of downside surprise. Pitchers of all ages are fragile. Young position players - not so much. If I can trade a good pitcher for a cost controlled stud hitter, I do it every time. Especially if I'm good at producing the former and have trouble developing the latter.

You're arguments stand to reason

I fear change :tape2:

Ok I'm on board with trading Bum for Stanton...Sabes, get er done :)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo is Melky-like, a good fit for PacBell

Would involving Gary Brown be an issue?

If we could get a near-allstar type player with 2 years of control for Brown, then I am good using FedEx...

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random thought. I was out the at the stick for the niners game/curb stomping of the bears.

Talking to some longtime niner and giants fans, they said the Giants would play a commemorative final game at Candletick before the niners leave and they shut it down for good.

Anybody hear about this? Should bring back the carnation malts for that game and at 75 cents

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Random thought. I was out the at the stick for the niners game/curb stomping of the bears.

Talking to some longtime niner and giants fans, they said the Giants would play a commemorative final game at Candletick before the niners leave and they shut it down for good.

Anybody hear about this? Should bring back the carnation malts for that game and at 75 cents

This is a great idea! I'll definitely be there if it happens.