• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Discussion-2013 Edition

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ummm...no. 46th in the majors last year in ERA+. Only one Giant in the top 20 (Cain, 16). 47 last year (Tron 16, Timmy 18, Cain 25). In 2010, he would've been 20th if he had enough innings to qualify (Chez 22, Cain 25, Timmy 36)

He's a phenomenal talent, no doubt. And I love him and would miss him if he were traded.

But Stanton is better.

These guys just don't know the game as well as we do. :bolt:

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be nervous as chit if the Giants traded Bum for Stanton. Like others have said, you can't trade a young stud pitcher with a reasonable contract from a team built around pitching...

That said, I'd do it. Stanton appears to be such a unique talent, a possible Hall of Fame slugger who hasn't yet hit his prime. I don't think I could pass on that deal if I'm Sabes.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lotta pixels spilled here about a trade so hypothetical that neither team is likely even thinking about it.

Then again, it is the offseason

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would miss MadBum 15-20 times per year. Stanton would help me get over my misery.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys just don't know the game as well as we do. :bolt:

Hey you'll find no argument here lol

but like food, sex, and oxygen - pitching's only important when you don't have any

Now, if we were in rebuild mode and waiting for the next crop of starting pitchers to develop, I might lean towards making this move.

Things being what they are, you know, 2 rings, 3 years etc, etc I'm good with keeping Bum as a #2 lefty starter

Respect the formula!

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If COTS is correct, the Astros only have one player they owe money to in 2013, and that player (Wandy) was traded. All the others are rookies, and under team control. The Stros may not have a payroll higher than $10 million this year, or a half a season of any Dodger starting player.

Both Houston and Boston have boatloads of money to spend this offseason. I expect Houston to spend a little this year, get some "wily vets" to fill out holes in the roster, and then spend the money when it looks like the younguns are ready for a 2-4 year run for it.

Boston has $60M spent for 2013, which is about $100M *less* than they've spent the last few years (they sent most of that $100M to Los Angeles). I expect Boston to make some big deals and re-tool - not rebuild.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lotta pixels spilled here about a trade so hypothetical that neither team is likely even thinking about it.

Then again, it is the offseason

It is the off-season, and this site still gets 20+ posts a day.

Impressive? Or pitiful?

You decide...

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Impressive? Or pitiful?

You decide...

It's a lifeline to the dreary world or work from the sunlit lands of the world championship Giants' baseball. It is a survival thing. Or maybe we are just all addicts. "Hi, my name is Stokes, and I am a Giants' baseball and Sportshoopla addict."

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a lifeline to the dreary world or work from the sunlit lands of the world championship Giants' baseball. It is a survival thing. Or maybe we are just all addicts. "Hi, my name is Stokes, and I am a Giants' baseball and Sportshoopla addict."

Hi Stokes!

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Impressive? Or pitiful?

You decide...

I had a very depressing start to the day today. Today was the first day that I noticed NO baseball news in the sports section - not even a trade rumor. :(

It's going to be a loooooong winter.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a very depressing start to the day today. Today was the first day that I noticed NO baseball news in the sports section - not even a trade rumor. :(

It's going to be a loooooong winter.

Coffee and doughnuts are in the back...

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's hard to break from my Internet routine

That's one of the side effects of this new age of smart phones. Every break from work/life has me checking for Giants updates and if some of you are taking Giants, I can't help but throwin in my 2 cents

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to break from my Internet routine

That's one of the side effects of this new age of smart phones. Every break from work/life has me checking for Giants updates and if some of you are taking Giants, I can't help but throwin in my 2 vcents

fify

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hey you'll find no argument here lol

but like food, sex, and oxygen - pitching's only important when you don't have any

Now, if we were in rebuild mode and waiting for the next crop of starting pitchers to develop, I might lean towards making this move.

Things being what they are, you know, 2 rings, 3 years etc, etc I'm good with keeping Bum as a #2 lefty starter

Respect the formula!

There's that. And you're right, it's inviting second guessing to mess with the formula in the middle of a budding dynasty. Something like a golfer with a major victory already under their belt trying to add a little bit of extra game, but find instead that they've totally hosed their swing.

Nevertheless, I'm looking mostly at who has the higher risk of downside surprise. Pitchers of all ages are fragile. Young position players - not so much. If I can trade a good pitcher for a cost controlled stud hitter, I do it every time. Especially if I'm good at producing the former and have trouble developing the latter.