• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Trade Thread: Draft Edition

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, just like every year I look at the Flyers and think "their goaltending will let 'em down again." And that mostly happens, but not all the time! Heh heh heh. Seriously though, that's just being a rival fan. It's either think negatively or get angry.

Please remind me the last time the second half of "that mostly happens, but not all the time" was applicable. The Flyers have gotten bounced from the playoffs because of bad goaltending for three straight years! That's like, a third of the NHL's existence, isn't that right, PENGUIN FAN! :eyebrows:

:focus:

No, I mean I literally cannot comprehend how Brodeur is 40 years old and doesn't suck. Every year I think, well, he's really getting up there. It's not really a rival thing - the only reason I think about those two teams in particular is because they are in the division and I see them the most, not because I WANT them to fail (though I do). And the same with the Pens - you guys had garbage for wingers for a while until you picked up Neal, but you just kept on trucking. I dunno, maybe I just don't pay enough attention to how other teams set up their roster and what not.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bolts, that doesn't surprise me. And I believe him 100%, but that won't stop teams from calling and putting offers on the table...and Shero would be nuts to turn down that ridiculous rumored offer.

Lets look at the offer a bit more closely.

The 8th pick in the draft is nice. The Pens can get another good D prospect or possibly somebody like Faksa a Center or Teravainen a W will be available.

Brandon Sutter is similar to Staal in terms of being good defensively & killing penalties. He's nowhere near as talented as Staal offensively.

Faulk is a stud. A future top pairing defenseman for many years.

It's a good deal for a pending UFA. However would you rather have the package for Carolina or Staal resigned?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I can't quote Bolts, my wifi is weak, and that makes it harder:

You're right. I would rather a moderately priced resigned Staal. I just hope that happens sooner rather than later. Worst case is he doesn't get resigned, the season rolls around, and then there's no way we're trading him. The guy is ready to break out though, no doubt about it. The part of the deal that's confusing is this: biggest piece is on D. We honestly do not need to collect more of that...unless the feeling is Letang won't hang around after his discount deal ends.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I can't quote Bolts, my wifi is weak, and that makes it harder:

You're right. I would rather a moderately priced resigned Staal. I just hope that happens sooner rather than later. Worst case is he doesn't get resigned, the season rolls around, and then there's no way we're trading him. The guy is ready to break out though, no doubt about it. The part of the deal that's confusing is this: biggest piece is on D. We honestly do not need to collect more of that...unless the feeling is Letang won't hang around after his discount deal ends.

Shero is rumored to be looking to trade guys like Martin & Michalek. It won't be easy with their contracts, but possible depending on what he wants in return.

I'll be honest if the Penguins had to trade Staal it's a good package. Faulk is too good to pass up. Having watched the playoffs against Philly the Pens D looked like Letang vs the Flyers. It was bad. A stud like Faulk would be a great addition.

The one thing I don't like about the proposed deal is the Penguins biggest need goes unadressed. I realize Skinner isn't available, but the Pens need another sniper on the wing to play with their big 2 centers.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what next season will bring in terms of wingers. Kunitz will probably stick with Sid, they seem to work well with each other, and Neal and Geno are obviously untouchable until further notice. After that? No idea. And the only way they can really address it is via trade. There's no one in the system that can play that role at the NHL level. In fact, there are very few that are close honestly. Guys like Sully were decent options, but Sid really needs a finisher on that line. Gah...Staal, why you no play wing?!

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what next season will bring in terms of wingers. Kunitz will probably stick with Sid, they seem to work well with each other, and Neal and Geno are obviously untouchable until further notice. After that? No idea. And the only way they can really address it is via trade. There's no one in the system that can play that role at the NHL level. In fact, there are very few that are close honestly. Guys like Sully were decent options, but Sid really needs a finisher on that line. Gah...Staal, why you no play wing?!

The Pens passed on Kessel when they took Staal 2nd overall. You can't complain because they did win the cup. The one positive is Crosby & Malkin can make almost any winger look good.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pens passed on Kessel when they took Staal 2nd overall. You can't complain because they did win the cup. The one positive is Crosby & Malkin can make almost any winger look good.

Yeah, and Staal was a huge part of that Cup. Under appreciated quite often. And honestly, as a group of forwards, not many teams have a better collection. Heck, the argument could be made that no teams have a better collection, so I really shouldn't nitpick. Just coming to a crossroads now...does management think that the 3 center mold can bring another Cup? Or do they think it's time to spread some salary and bring in more wing help? I really do think they'll keep Staal unless it's a scary good deal...but they really HAVE to make a move. The team assembled last year clearly had major holes, and the only way to improve it is with trades. Don't have the flexibility to do it on the FA market...and there's not much of an FA market anyhow.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kuba Worth Considering? | TrueHockey

Strickland knows his stuff...and I'd trust him a bit more. Somehow I can't imagine Staal going to management and saying "I won't resign". And seriously, the guy makes ONE comment at the end of the season saying "Yeah, that'd be fun (to play with Eric in CAR)." And now it's suddenly "STAAL WANTS TO BE IN CAROLINA (or NYR)!" I dunno...if that's true Shero's in a jam.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just posted on the Flyers board. Bare with me.

Dont want to create a thread, but...

Dude has nearly 100k followers, His claim to fame and credibility is that he said Suter didnt want to come to Philly a month before Panotch did.

Manayunk Mike‏@ManayunkMike

Just heard a wild rumor that would essentially send JVR to #Hawks for Kane. There would be more to the deal. Keeping an eye on it.. #Flyers

nocountry_tommyleejones_lawsuit.jpg

So, I like and all, but Tommy Lee Jones is worth 1000 words.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be closer to Thornton & #17 pick for Johansen & #2 pick (maybe another pick or prospect from Columbus if needed). I don't think Columbus will want to go without a first round pick.

In this fantasy scenario who centers the first line?

I respectfully disagree Slim. Think about it, Columbus wants Couture, Demers and a 1st for Nash. Thornton plays a more important position and has a lower cap hit than Nash. The only Columbus fan on here (43.....if I read him correctly) said he'd make that trade. People over-value draft picks like crazy. I'm pretty sure that Johansen will be a good NHL player, but I don't know for sure. Much like I don't know if the 2nd overall pick will be a good NHLer or Alexander Daigle. Either way, it wouldn't matter unless Joe asked for a trade which isn't happening. I was just messing because I'm tired of Marleau and Thornton, lol.

I'd use Marleau/Pavelski as the 1st line center and Couture/Johansen as the 2nd line center in this fantasy scenario.

As much as I would hate to lose Johansen, I would take the deal of Ryan and the second for Thronton and the 17th.
- Nash gets his bonafide center who he is comfortable with.
- Columbus gets another big name draw.
- Johansen gets a shot that he is likely not going to get here behind Brassard. The team seems to think Brass is better. I disagree.

The only hitch in the plan is if EDM goofs and takes someone other than Yakupov. If Nail is there at #2, Jackets have to take him. The drop of to Grigorenko is significant enough, and if they had Thornton, they could draft another forward later and let him develop. The only person in this draft who can help right now is Yakupov. No one else is even close. If you can't get help next year in the draft, you get it in other ways.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Kane isn't allowed in the Atlantic. Although then my raw hatred for him would be warranted. Also: wouldn't that be, I dunno, a wee bit awkward? I can just see Kaner coming into the Philly room with his ring on.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
other than Nash, Luongo and Staal. are there ANY other legit rumours going on. seems awfully quiet.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
other than Nash, Luongo and Staal. are there ANY other legit rumours going on. seems awfully quiet.

I've heard a bunch of little things, but those are certainly the big names being thrown around. Gosh, it needs to be tomorrow. I have a feeling I'm going to sit and watch the draft, anxiously awaiting SOMETHING to happen, and then NOTHING will happen.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard a bunch of little things, but those are certainly the big names being thrown around. Gosh, it needs to be tomorrow. I have a feeling I'm going to sit and watch the draft, anxiously awaiting SOMETHING to happen, and then NOTHING will happen.

i think thats impossible at the draft. :) well for the first 2 rounds anyway. after that Im checking out. always something.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think thats impossible at the draft. :) well for the first 2 rounds anyway. after that Im checking out. always something.

I suppose putting that many GMs in one room would typically garner some sort of reaction...at the very least some teams will trade up and down.

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Several GMs I've talked to today somewhat frustrated at the lack of traction in trade talks... Perhaps things will loosen up tomorrow..

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect Ryan to be a Sabre. I don't know why I just think the teams match up. The Ducks could use a Center & Derek Roy is available. If Buffalo adds a young talented Defenseman & their 1st round pick a deal should go down.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@THNRyanKennedy
Via Ken Campbell, Rick Nash's agent is meeting with CBJ GM Scott Howson at 3pm - Howson will talk to media at 5pm

Well, hello there rumor mill...ready to go full steam ahead?

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have went from not wanting Nash at the deadline, to wanting him really badly 5 days ago, to really skepitcal about acquiring him today.

But Ill be cool if we get Nash without losing Schenn, Couturier, or Giroux and proceed to flip him to Toronto for their 1st, Schenn, and Gardiner. :D